Buy all your VW California Accessories at the Club Shop Visit Shop

Alternative gas bottles for T6.1 Ocean

mirek

mirek

Vehicle
T6.1 Ocean 204
One of the things that I came across after buying an Ocean was a rather unusual gas bottle and its price tag.
Specifically, Campigaz R907 or R904 (smaller).

When I learned how much that thing costs + replacement = it made me thinking, no stupid AI :)

And here we go, there is a much cheaper alternative by Primagas that fits perfectly.
Primagas, model P15Y, 3 kg, price around 20 GBP + market price of propan (or PB).
Of course, the screw is different so then you invest modest 15 GBP into a new valve, in my case Type 1205 by the norm CSN 014031.

All set to cook.

IMG_1801.jpg

IMG_1808.jpg

IMG_1802.jpg

One of the things that I came across after buying an Ocean was a rather unusual gas bottle and its price tag.
Specifically, Campigaz R907 or R904 (smaller).

When I learned how much that thing costs + replacement = it made me thinking, no stupid AI :)

And here we go, there is a much cheaper alternative by Primagas that fits perfectly.
Primagas, model P15Y, 3 kg, price around 20 GBP + market price of propan (or PB).
Of course, the screw is different so then you invest modest 15 GBP into a new valve, in my case Type 1205 by the norm CSN 014031.

All set to cook.

View attachment 118380

View attachment 118381

View attachment 118382
Widely available in Europe? Or only UK?

Primagas bottles are available all around Central Europe, fully standardized and safe to use. I'm quite sure there will be similar alternatives in Spain, Italy, Balkan, ... and possibly in the UK too.

just done a bit of diggin, primagas in the uk is calor, looking through the available bottles it seems the one mentioned is supplied from germany and is not available in the uk. dam. nearest size is the patio gas bottle but not even close as its got big side handles. Hey Ho.

It's not unheard of for people to refill Camping Gaz bottles for about a fiver using Autogas LPG at a petrol station or from a large Calor bottle. Adapters are sold on eBay for about £30.
Whether this is seen as an excellent money saving scheme or akin to putting anthrax spores in your tea is down to personal choice.

Campingaz R907 is 35€ with exchange of the bottle in Germany. Bottle lasts a long time, so I don't know if personally I would change to something else. I use a Campingaz mini stove outside the van to to prevent smell in the van so you can really get a lot of use from the 907 bottle.

To each his own.

Sent from my SM-G991B using Tapatalk

Lucky you, a new R907 comes at 105€ in my region then you can get a replacement for 27 - 30€.

I agree the bottle will last at least one full season (including winter), maybe more. Still saving money w/o compromising quality or safety of cooking.

Campingaz R907 is 35€ with exchange of the bottle in Germany. Bottle lasts a long time, so I don't know if personally I would change to something else. I use a Campingaz mini stove outside the van to to prevent smell in the van so you can really get a lot of use from the 907 bottle.

To each his own.

Sent from my SM-G991B using Tapatalk
I suppose a lot depends on how you feel about paying 7€/ litre for a product that's available for 1€/ litre. Gullible or ostentatious?

Lucky you, a new R907 comes at 105€ in my region then you can get a replacement for 27 - 30€.

I agree the bottle will last at least one full season (including winter), maybe more. Still saving money w/o compromising quality or safety of cooking.
Last time I sailed across the Atlantic we started with 6 full 907s and ran out of gas, used only for cooking, after 18 days so talking about how long a bottle will last is pretty meaningless. Things got so bad we had to cerviche Mahi Mahi and Wahoo.

Last time I sailed across the Atlantic we started with 6 full 907s and ran out of gas, used only for cooking, after 18 days so talking about how long a bottle will last is pretty meaningless. Things got so bad we had to cerviche Mahi Mahi and Wahoo.
It makes lot of sense for a sailing crew, glad you managed and survived the adventure. It really comes down to how often one cooks a meal / tea / coffee.

Back