Buy all your VW California Accessories at the Club Shop Visit Shop

Alternative to screwing?

Goodness! I had an attack of the vapours when I read this thread title :sad

An interesting question. I would love to know as well.

Dare I suggest "Thread Tools"? Had to say it even if now fixed. Sorry!

They must have changed the design ...the tabs on mine jam up in the tiny gap...very hard to do but they've not moved in 2 years. Not much help to you..sorry!

Cannot really see from the pic and not sure what load (presuming not too great as you mention Velcro) it carries but if there is a 'space' behind the edge of that panel I'd make a U type adaptor that fits tightly over the edge of the panel.

Or (again depending on load) try say five small pea sized dabs of two part clear epoxy to bond it. Poundland two part epoxy is great stuff! This can usually be removed with a heat gun if needed (just make a tin foil shield around the bracket to protect the roof and heat the bracket) then remove any remains with acetone.

I believe it's only the beach one that needs screwing. I could be wrong lol

I have fitted an ISO top to both a 2015 SE and a 2016 Beach. There is a slight difference with the ISO top fitting to both models and it concerns this front top fixing. From memory the differences are as follows:

SE/Ocean
The velcro tabs have to be forced into the joint between the pop top ceiling liner and the transversal batten. Its a bit of a faff as it is a very tight fit. You need to gently open the gap with some form of very thin wedge then slide them into position. Be careful not to damage the ceiling liner with the wedge.

Beach
As has been mentioned, the front top velcro tab fixings have to be screwed to the ceiling liner using the self cutting screws provided. I too thought this was a drastic step to take on a brand new Beach and I also looked at alternative ways of fixing these tabs. However I came to the conclusion that these alternative methods would probably make more mess/damage than the screws.

The thing is, are you ever likely to remove the ISO top? I cannot think of a reason why you would ever want to. Once in place, you don't need to do anything to them again except to enjoy the excellent benefits that these liners provide.

My advice would be to pluck up courage and use the supplied screws to fix your velcro tabs in place as instructed. Any form of glue is likely to make a mess and come unstuck at some point. Brandrup almost certainly looked at alternative forms of fixing before deciding on a screw fix.
Be careful though as it is essential to follow the positioning instructions precisely. (Measure several times to confirm before screwing). Once you are happy with the positioning, use a soft pencil to very lightly mark the position of the tab on the ceiling liner (it can be wiped off before the final fix). Then locate the screw throught the hole in the tab and screw into the ceiling liner. Make sure that you use a good well fitting screw driver as you will have to apply a reasonable degree of upward pressure to enable the self cutting screw to do it's business. Once the screw has cut most of the way through remove it and the tab and clean off the pencil marks before refixing and tightening.

If you were ever to remove the ISO top liner, these velcro tabs and other velcro tape fixings would remain in situe. If you ever wanted to transfer the Iso top to another replacement Cali Beach then you would need to get Brandrup to send you new velcro tape, velco tabs along with cleaning and adhesive sachets. You wont be able to use the old Velcro tape again.

If you need to discuss anything before fitting then you are welcome to send me a PM.

Last edited:
Back