Buy all your VW California Accessories at the Club Shop Visit Shop

Alternative water fill kit

B

Bjohnson

VIP Member
I was going to purchase the Brandrup water fill kit for those occasions when not at home and needing to top up the water tanks, but I already had a collapsible water carrier and decided to see if if could use that before buying the Brandrup kit.

I've already had one of these collapsible water carriers (£4.99 from Go Outdoors)

http://www.gooutdoors.co.uk/fold-a-carrier-p152200

And I added a remote fill hose for another £4.99

http://www.gooutdoors.co.uk/quest-fill- ... ng-p141535

Removing the cap from the water carrier the rubber 'funnel' end to the fill hose can be fitted over the water carrier outlet. Stick the hose in the Cali and hold the water carrier up side down and away you go!

Obviously not as good as the Brandrup items, but I've used it a few times now and it works a treat.

I had bought the same 15 litre jerrican (from Decathlon here) and was trying to use it, hung from the rail with a hook & piece of string, but with a bit of 15mm hose on the standard tap.
It did work, but VERY slowly - about 15 min for 15 litres!

I already had the same blue top-up hose too but it had never occured to me to put the 2 together, without the tap getting in the way.

Now it fills MUCH faster!

Thanks!

I have those two exact pieces of kit. My problem has always been getting the two to work together. The hose always falls off the water bottle, resulting in me getting soaked.... Any way I can make them work together better?

Cheers
Blakey

Blakey said:
Any way I can make them work together better?

Yes - you need to push the conical adapter on one notch further than you first thought!

I went through the same wet-foot learning curve!

You do need to ensure the conical rubber item is pushed over the water carrier outlet as far as possible. A bit of pushing and turning seems to help this.

I did also find that once or twice the plastic hose came out of the conical spout during the fill process. I've glued the hose into the spout to stop this repeating again.

Anyone using hose pipes, make sure it is food grade hose and not normal garden hose pipe ! there are a lot of nasty chemicals used in PVC garden hose

Successfully tested a fit of my fill up hose and my roll up water carrier after reading this, I too hadn't tightened it on far enough on my first test! Thanks

Might just need to find a way to hang the water carrier now, brandrup style :)

lonsdale13 said:
Anyone using hose pipes, make sure it is food grade hose and not normal garden hose pipe ! there are a lot of nasty chemicals used in PVC garden hose

I always fill from the hose in our garage before we set off anywhere :eek:

Although we always boil the water in the kettle for tea and coffee and washing up, so we don't drink indirect from the tank so should be ok??

D653A3E1-6898-47DB-B49C-9A311789A620.jpeg Collecting new California on Friday so have been doing some planning ahead. I’ve looked at all the options, but hadn’t seen anyone suggest a jug with suitable spout.

Whilst only 5L, this looks like a convenient option (albeit taking 5 or 6 trips to the water point). It also seemed a convenient way of delivering sterilising solution to clean the tank.

View attachment 40911 Collecting new California on Friday so have been doing some planning ahead. I’ve looked at all the options, but hadn’t seen anyone suggest a jug with suitable spout.

Whilst only 5L, this looks like a convenient option (albeit taking 5 or 6 trips to the water point). It also seemed a convenient way of delivering sterilising solution to clean the tank.
I will be surprised if the spout will allow you to get much water into the tank. Unless it is narrow enough to go into the filler tube, which is a lot smaller than the filler cap.

IMG_0932.jpg

Simple, cheap and very useful. Get 20L at any place (toilet, garage, garden, kitchens restaurant). The Reliance can is already 20+ years old. It's leaking because I did not tighten it properly.

Don't use a Reliance collapsible water tank to store water in it for longer than 10 minutes to prevent PVC-tea. For this purpose it is ideal. No long hoses with doubtful history, lying in the sun hosting a thriving pool of germs.

I was going to purchase the Brandrup water fill kit for those occasions when not at home and needing to top up the water tanks, but I already had a collapsible water carrier and decided to see if if could use that before buying the Brandrup kit.

I've already had one of these collapsible water carriers (£4.99 from Go Outdoors)

http://www.gooutdoors.co.uk/fold-a-carrier-p152200

And I added a remote fill hose for another £4.99

http://www.gooutdoors.co.uk/quest-fill- ... ng-p141535

Removing the cap from the water carrier the rubber 'funnel' end to the fill hose can be fitted over the water carrier outlet. Stick the hose in the Cali and hold the water carrier up side down and away you go!

Obviously not as good as the Brandrup items, but I've used it a few times now and it works a treat.
Use same filler which also attaches neatly to the bottom outlet of a Colapz bucket, still about 30 quid total but bucket is a multipurpose (Colapz were looking at making a threaded filler for attaching to the bucket for this use but nothing so far) ... Part of Cali ownership is inventing your own water filling gadget

Sent from my moto g(6) play using Tapatalk

My son 3d prited this small tube. Easy to use , small . I have 2 bottles of 5 liters that i can use .

F28F9FB1-C37C-4F62-ABE9-C98FA26606F5.jpeg

5F994DED-F1BA-457E-B732-E2268148FF2D.jpeg

IMG_0932.jpg

Simple, cheap and very useful. Get 20L at any place (toilet, garage, garden, kitchens restaurant). The Reliance can is already 20+ years old. It's leaking because I did not tighten it properly.

Don't use a Reliance collapsible water tank to store water in it for longer than 10 minutes to prevent PVC-tea. For this purpose it is ideal. No long hoses with doubtful history, lying in the sun hosting a thriving pool of germs.

Back