Buy all your VW California Accessories at the Club Shop Visit Shop

Alternator and battery tester

How does that work? Do you have to have access to the battery in the beach?

Hi mate I would say so I'm not too familiar with where the battery is on the beach
But the tester you connect to the pos + neg of the battery to tell you it's condition
It can also be used on the van battery to test the alternator :thumb
I hope this helps

The battery is closed off and not easily accessible. In fact I haven't been able to get sight of it, but would like too!

Not sure you want to be marketing it this way to beach owners unless it comes with a wrench and seat disassembly manual!

I wasn't aware it was under the seat like the Cali. The tester can still be used on the van
Battery and alternator and the second leisure battery on the Cali in the boot :thumb

Good shout Martin
I have just tried it and you can touch the centre of the cigarette lighter socket with the red probe and touch the side of the socket with the black probe it works :thumb so you could check the beach leisure battery from a cigarette lighter socket in the back
Thanks martin :lol:

Calikev said:
I wasn't aware it was under the seat like the Cali. The tester can still be used on the van
Battery and alternator and the second leisure battery on the Cali in the boot :thumb

Unfortunately there are lots of unknowns at the moment which are a bit frustrating!

Folks, my first gripe.
Came to unlock the van, and the headlights didn't come on?

A great idea as the engine battery was getting low
I stuck my tester in the cigarette lighter and got 12.13 v, so about 40% left.
My gripe
Is there no engine battery level gauge.
Everything in the van is amazingly well designed and automatic
The sat nav links to the driver display, and shows all sorts including ambient temp.
I can even have the leisure battery level on display

I have been in the van in the garden a lot, playing, as you do
And radio, must have drained the battery
This may well happen on tour , and so would be good to know early

Do I really need to spend ÂŁ1.50 on a gizmo to stick in the cigarette socket .?
Or occasionally lock and unlock the van to see if the daytime lights come on?

The radio should turn off automatically after about twenty minutes to stop the battery going flat.
Was it dark or light. perhaps the lights only come on when it's dark?

It was in the dark Briwy,
The radio did turn off after 20 mins, but I kept turning it back on
But when the battery was low, it would nt turn on, which was a good thing

It was in the dark Briwy,
The radio did turn off after 20 mins, but I kept turning it back on
But when the battery was low, it would nt turn on, which was a good thing
You are assuming the RNS 510 is just a simple radio - it is not. On switch on the computer boots up. Then it plots your position by GPS and continues checking etc: A significant current drain from the engine battery if repeatedly being switched on.
Was the vehicle on mains hookup? The Charger will charge both leisure and engine batteries on the later California SE's, so will help to avoid this.
You have 3 options.
1. As most do, get a portable 12v sound system that will run of the Leisure Batteries.
2. Get an auto electrician to wire the radio to use the leisure battery. It will still switch off after 20mins though.
3. Only run the RNS510 when on Mains hookup.

Thanks for that Welsh.
I see what you mean. I wasn't on hook up, and as well as the 510 I was using the cab lights. Partly as I was trying to master the 510, learning its language,
And enjoying the DAB. I used to love the goons, and now they seem to be on regularly on radio 4 extra, NEDYYYYYYYY.

Previous threads had suggested that the engine battery wouldn't charge on hook up. But my manual said it will. Mine is 2015, so that explains it.

I do still think,that VW should have put a veichle battery level indicator in,
But I have shelled out on the ÂŁ1.50 level indicator. Maby a radio is next.
Surely the TV function and DVD were meant to be used when parked up, and not on the move!!

Interestingly, I read how to jump start the van, as it has blue motion,
I didn't realise that you musnt connect the negative terminals, but put leads from engine block to engine block.

Hmm
Just thinking
As the USB on the dash is from the leisure battery, there is power up there right next to the radio, .....quite an eaisy job...
Where could I find wiring diagrams
I doubt the Haynes series will cover that sort of stuff

Not sure but I think all the power sockets on the dash come from the starter battery, not the leisure battery as they will be part of a standard van setup, not the Cali.
I rewired ours direct from the leisure battery under the passenger seat.

Not sure but I think all the power sockets on the dash come from the starter battery, not the leisure battery as they will be part of a standard van setup, not the Cali.
I rewired ours direct from the leisure battery under the passenger seat.
I am sure the dash USB, contrary to popular belief, is from the leisure battery.....do let me know if somebody is sure I am wrong

This may help if you're thinking of rewiring to the LB

http://vwcaliforniaclub.com/threads/flat-battery-and-4-motion.8554/
Thanks for that......may need a few drinks to get the courage to start taking my lovely new van apart like that.
But it does seem wrong to have such a lovely radio and speakers, and then use a portable.

But ,
If the USB is powered by the leisure battery,, surely I could use that feed
Let's wait for the elders of the forum to read this. Mine is 2015, as I know it is different in earlier models

Last edited:
All sounds like "robing Peter to pay Paul" to me as I do a lot of wild camping!
The plus I know by switching stereo to leisure batteries is more assurance of starting engine
I never leave home without my battery analyzer and Bluetooth speaker,oh and a set of jump leads! ;)

Interesting Welsh, thanks
I think, as I am learning, and now have the monitors,
I will stick with the Invan system and see how I get on
I am thinking if I hook up every 4 or 5 days , if I am not travelling much, and use the tips advised by the others, I might be ok
And I will chuck my jump leads and a tow rope in the box

A good practice is to carry a car battery charger or even DC-DC charger.
2nd one can allow you to charge the battery from the leisure one or any other even small battery you can carry for other purposes.
To start a vehicle you don't need to fully charge the battery, but getting at least 10ah can do the job, which even a decent powerbank can hold.
The point is that it is always better to "recharge" battery than trying to start connected to another vehicle.
It is even advised to leave the cables connected for some time to another car before starting (means charging). So don't risk electronics of your or other cars and just throw a small dc-dc charger with a small battery which you can use for other camping needs.

My understanding is that you shouldnt connect the negative directly to the battery terminal but rather through the body earth? Maybe someone can confirm?

Back