Buy all your VW California Accessories at the Club Shop Visit Shop

Always On Rear View Mirror Camera System.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Alison

Please don't delete it, could you transfer all the Saggy bottom / suspension posts to another thread. The OP has information that would be extremely useful to the whole T5 T6 and T6.1 community regarding the design of transporter suspension. Not just Vw California.

He is in receipt of an email that answers questions that all the suspension modifiers have raised & it would be a shame to loose that just because @rowles1958 has posted it in the wrong thread.

After all in the words of the OP "I thought the purpose of this Forum was to share knowledge and help people with all types of experience with Californias"
I did not post it in the wrong thread, Welsh Gas or whatever his name is made a smarmy reference to the low rear suspension in respect of seeing out of the rear view mirror and I just put him right on that point. Others, including you then posted about it.

I did not post it in the wrong thread, Welsh Gas or whatever his name is made a smarmy reference to the low rear suspension in respect of seeing out of the rear view mirror and I just put him right on that point. Others, including you then posted about it.
You really do need to visit Specsavers. Your reply wasn't to my post. Mine was later in response to the " saggy bottom" you mentioned

Mea culpa

Thanks, I think my question was 'how' to do it. I wasn't interested in whether people thought I should do it or not !
Well if you find a solution like the LR one I would go for it. Popped across to the dealers yesterday and they have a camera mounted in a fin at the rear, I guess to give the right angle.

the thing I hated most about my SE was that on the continent the wardrobe blocked a good look over the shoulder when joining from a slip road and rear vis was poor. Yes I use the wing mirrors but I prefer to be able to see and this would do it.

each to their own but I think it’s a great suggestion.

I've had one of these 10 inch mirror dashcams in my work vehicle for a couple of years and wouldn't be without it. Front and rear dashcams seem to be a must these days. I mounted the rear camera on the inside of the boot as it was easier and would stay clean and dry. I fitted the same set up in the Cali last week and I'm very happy with it. The only problem is you will have to remove the mirror screen from your mirror when closing your windscreen blinds but it only takes a few seconds to do this.
Thanks, where did you mount the camera ?

I'd be interested see a measurement from the rear wheel arch to ground once the original springs are back on. My van looks level & am booked in for the -30mm springs, if they do fronts only it will look wrong.

You don't by any chance know what the colour coding on your rear springs is?
Mine’s had the VW 30mm lowering springs fitted Andy AND i’ve got a lot of kit in the back. Looks level to me.

8416244E-D37B-44BF-8EDF-285A8EBD6A75.jpeg

D330DFF0-EFA7-4438-8DB5-235628F0D164.jpeg

Well if you find a solution like the LR one I would go for it. Popped across to the dealers yesterday and they have a camera mounted in a fin at the rear, I guess to give the right angle.

the thing I hated most about my SE was that on the continent the wardrobe blocked a good look over the shoulder when joining from a slip road and rear vis was poor. Yes I use the wing mirrors but I prefer to be able to see and this would do it.

each to their own but I think it’s a great suggestion.
My 6.1 has large orange warning light in both door mirrors that indicate vehicles approaching. Really useful.

My 6.1 has large orange warning light in both door mirrors that indicate vehicles approaching. Really useful.
Never had that function on other vehicles and I actually find it useful. Unfortunately when you are using the tow bar, when I use the bike rack, then it is disabled. I understand why, just frustrating. No big deal though, I just check my blind spot old school style just as my Dad taught me. :thumb

Never had that function on other vehicles and I actually find it useful. Unfortunately when you are using the tow bar, when I use the bike rack, then it is disabled. I understand why, just frustrating. No big deal though, I just check my blind spot old school style just as my Dad taught me. :thumb
Must admit to not knowing it’s disabled when the bike rack is fitted. Good to know - thanks for that subthree.

Must admit to not knowing it’s disabled when the bike rack is fitted. Good to know - thanks for that subthree.
Unless you don't plug the electrics in :eek:

(Also found out if you unplug the electrics, when the vehicle is locked, then the alarm activates.)

Mine’s had the VW 30mm lowering springs fitted Andy AND i’ve got a lot of kit in the back. Looks level to me.

View attachment 74513

View attachment 74515
With due respect, and with the limitation of judging by looking at a picture, your van doesn't look level. Look at the gap between the wheels and the wheel arches. At the front there is a wider gap as in the back. Even though you seem to have parked on a slight slope....

With due respect, and with the limitation of judging by looking at a picture, your van doesn't look level. Look at the gap between the wheels and the wheel arches. At the front there is a wider gap as in the back. Even though you seem to have parked on a slight slope....
The body line is horizontal. Look at the distant between the apex of the wheel arch and the body line. What do you see?

The body line is horizontal. Look at the distant between the apex of the wheel arch and the body line. What do you see?
The distance between the body line and wheel arch apex in the front is smaller than in the back. Ok, point taken. Still, looking at Multivans etc they seem to have the same space front and back between wheels and arch apex... they must be in fact be pointing slightly downwards at the front? Somehow they look more "normal"..

@Calimili there is a separate thread about lowering and angle (yes/no) of van.
The question from the OP on this thread was how to install a rear view camera that can be used whilst driving.

@Calimili there is a separate thread about lowering and angle (yes/no) of van.
The question from the OP on this thread was how to install a rear view camera that can be used whilst driving.
You are absolutely right, sorry for the OT.
The biggest impediment to rear view on Ocean is the airplane drawer.
If I needed a "always on" camera i would go for wifi, same as used in towing caravans, so no wire to pass, and attach the screen via magnets to the air vents in the dash.
https://www.amazon.de/dp/B01LPK4VH6/

Thanks, where did you mount the camera ?
Mounted just on the plastic behind the rear drop down cupboard, centered it to the van rather than the opening to give a better overview when reversing.

Disagree. The front wheel arch profile gives a bigger gap and perhaps an illusion. The van is level though, i’ve measured it.

Rear view camera’s, permanently on...

If anyone has further advice on rear view camera’s that can be used whilst driving, please make a new post. This one is now closed as not on track.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back