Buy all your VW California Accessories at the Club Shop Visit Shop

Am I being fobbed off over Roof problem?

A

Andy Chivers

VIP Member
Vehicle
T5 SE 180
image.jpg image.jpg Hi everyone, have a bit of an issue! Recently purchased a 12 plate Cali low mileage well looked after, we drove to Spain and I lifted the roof but it would not come down, eventually managed to get roof down manually and got back to Bristol. We took the vehicle into VW Heritage Bristol who at first said it was a sensor problem, but when they eventually looked at the vehicle they said it was a leaking hydraulic oil pipe in the roof. This is where the problem starts, the roof has been in for a corrosion recall to be resprayed, and Bristol VW are saying they can't fix it because of the sealant (in pictures of roof above passenger seat). If they cut it about then they say it possibly will leak after new pipe has been put in, therefore I have to go back to the body shop to have the roof off and refit the pipe and sealant, only £3100 plus vat!

Please can anyone advise me if this sealant is on every Cali or has this been applied by the body shop when the corrosion remedy was done?

Any feedback will be greatly appreciated.

Andy

If they say it may leak I would take that chance.

Could try speaking to the body shop and VW HQ?
Which bodyshop did the roof repair

Saga continues! VW Bristol stripped the cab and its full of filler, apparently the completely the wrong type of filler! Beware anyone who had the roof repaired at VW Heritage Bristol! Because of this the roof has to come off to replace the hydraulic lines, will find out how they split when I take the van to be repaired.

I contacted Shorades in Cannock, an authorised VW Body shop who undertake the Roof Corrosion repairs and have say they have put my mind at ease with their professional service. Despite this its still going to cost over £3000 to put right.

I have to mention the appalling service of VW Customer care who have washed their hands of the whole saga by telling me that any problems with shoddy workmanship lies with the garage who did the original work, VW Heritage Westbury, who are no longer in business!!

How did you pay for the original repair? If by credit card you might get some help from them.

Worth a phone call

I would talk to someone who actually understands Cali roofs, so that would exclude everyone at VW UK.
I'd be off down to see KernowTransporters (I think that's their name) in Cornwall. They fit salvaged roofs to standard transporters and are far better placed to advise the best sort of repair.

Yea, give Simon a call at Kernow Transporters, his colleague Mirko who does the fitting really does know his stuff.

Back