Buy all your VW California Accessories at the Club Shop Visit Shop

Am I mad

GrannyJen

GrannyJen

Super Poster
Lifetime VIP Member
Vehicle
Cali now sold
I have never, in six years, used the awning.

Am I mad to remove it?

Will, in your opinion, spoil the aesthetics of the van?

Answers on a postcard please ... or even here.

It's your van... Remove it, it'll be less weight, better aerodynamics and less chance of getting it nicked.... We use ours as much as possible but each to their own, not a mad idea at all...

No harm in removing it. It can always be put back.
We seldom use ours.
As far as aesthetics apart from a status symbol (I've got a Cali not a conversion!) its hardly a thing of beauty!

On the plus side... less drag, no more drips

Not mad at all! Remove it, sell it here and get some more money for your next trip! Or keep it? There are plenty of other ideas to create some shelter (pub, tarp...)

Besides do you have one with your Eriba?

Not mad at all! Remove it, sell it here and get some more money for your next trip! Or keep it? There are plenty of other ideas to create some shelter (pub, tarp...)

Besides do you have one with your Eriba?

Thank you Sapto. We have a large awning with the Eriba, and one of the reasons I never use the van awning is because almost every day I am going somewhere in it.

It's your van... Remove it, it'll be less weight, better aerodynamics and less chance of getting it nicked.... We use ours as much as possible but each to their own, not a mad idea at all...

Thank you :)

both our vans were pre-build if configuring a van I would not have one.

Less waves from fellow Cali owners (might be + or -)

Took mine off last winter and will do the same again.
Hardly ever use it and the look is so much cleaner without, IMHO.
Just beware if and when replacing it however; mine fell off......expensively .

Not LOL. more OMG.........

You don't have to be mad to remove it. Although it might help.
I don't think you have a large awning on the Eriba, as that is not such a large caravan.
And I know yet another reason for removing it if you were still in doubt: less rattles!! :pinkbanana

Remove it if you don't use it, looks better and better aerodynamics. I don't use one, and with the bike rack off and no awning it's easier to go stealth.

Took mine off last winter and will do the same again.
Hardly ever use it and the look is so much cleaner without, IMHO.
Just beware if and when replacing it however; mine fell off......expensively .

Not LOL. more OMG.........

Excellent advice. It will only go back on with a Dealer's help.... If I tried it then the van will fall off the awning!

Take it off if you don’t use it.

We had a VW bike rack on our previous Cali which was used to dry towels. Our new Cali doesn’t have one and we don’t feel it looks less like a Cali.

1) Yes
2) No

It’s your van use as you want, bugger what anyone else thinks.
Go green and save the fuel. You never know you might start a trend.
If your carrying around a chocolate tea pot, ditch it, you can always put it back on if you sell the van.
Alternatively take up “awning pole dancing” and justify the awning being on the van that way !

1) Yes
2) No

It’s your van use as you want, bugger what anyone else thinks.
Go green and save the fuel. You never know you might start a trend.
If your carrying around a chocolate tea pot, ditch it, you can always put it back on if you sell the van.
Alternatively take up “awning pole dancing” and justify the awning being on the van that way !

Thank you o_O

I started out without a wind out awning... I used a Vango Kela when camping to have room for pooches. Added a wind out awning to use the camping room as it’s quicker to erect / take down, which for short weekends at agility comps suits my purposes... which is basically where I’m going with this... if you’re not using it, enjoying the Eriba (I’m looking into that as well), then it’s no-one’s choice but your own. And as others have said, sell it on and fill the fridge with wine

I have always removed the awning during winter time. Can’t see any reason for having it there. I only use it in the summer time, but only like 2-3 times per year :)

My van didn't have one when bought. A new awning would be too expensive to buy, so I opted for Qeedo Motor Tarp. Never used that one either...

Can't say I miss the awning, never stay in one place for long time... Maybe if we used camping grounds more often, but so far, we just try to park next to a shady spot :)

We removed our awning after never using it in 3 years.
We like the reduced noise (wind & rattles) but mainly the improved "stealth", so we can frequently go where camper vans are not welcome.
The whole point of the California really!
3 years further on, we never missed it.
EDIT: We got another (microscopic) benefit by removing the winding handle & its retaining brackets from the drawer. All that extra space!

Last edited:
Sounds like you don't need it Jen and there's no point in lugging all that weight around every day. Remove and store or sell. :thumb

Back