Buy all your VW California Accessories at the Club Shop Visit Shop

An urgent advice appeal (timing wise) with a bit of a sensitive nature.

Ocean Spirit

Ocean Spirit

Eating Ice Cream, skimming stones.
Top Poster
VIP Member
Vehicle
T6 Ocean 150
Hi Guys,
I joined the forum just a few days ago and have somehow posted way too prolifically already.
Fate is really digging me in the ribs here and suddenly there is a van available to me but for a few reasons which I am happy to elaborate on privately not publicly, I would need to act swiftly to get it.
The said van lives only metres from me and is a one owner van.

It's spec is outside of my approach of selecting options but none the less could be the one.
Is there anyone out there right now who has been through the 180 oil consumption issues and experienced the roof corrosion who is willing to have a private conversation either by PM or preferably I'd like to ring you and elaborate.
The more prolific readers will probably have seen me mention I would prefer to avoid the 180 in another thread so I fully aware of that thanks.
Here's hoping someone with experience of getting both issues sorted is prepared to chat with me soon for 20 minutes or so.

Many Thanks.
Please PM me and we'll take the finer detail from there.

Genuinely wondering if this thread is visible in the 'new posts' section?
I can't see it there.

Thank you Loz!

Hi Everyone,
Just to draw this 'short' thread to a close.
I see it gained a typical 'vibrant' amount of views since posted late yesterday evening.
I didn't get any volunteers in that time which is perfectly understandable given the slightly cryptic sounding nature of the 1st post and my request for urgency.
Any how left to my own judgement, I decided to pass on the van.
Thanks to anyone who read and considered my plea.

Here's hoping someone with experience of getting both issues sorted

I think that is your issue many including myself looked to see if we could help but did not have both issues that had been sorted

• Agree
Reactions: Loz
Yeah I didnt feel I had much expertise to offer on that engine and that my roof has so far (touch wood) been fine.

I think that is your issue many including myself looked to see if we could help but did not have both issues that had been sorted
Yes agreed, and thanks very much for your consideration. The Van was registered march 1st 2011 had visible roof corrosion so just beyond the VW fix offering. It's also a 180 and and the oil light came on last week for apparently the first time.
All the wrong hall marks but a van that was offered to me at the offered PX price (within my budget).
Ultimately not the best vibes to start out on but this was clouded by the fact I drive it twice a day on average and have witnessed the loving care it got on a regular basis.
The sensitive part had nothing to do with the above but in a nutshell an emotional sale with a small window of opportunity.
EDIT thanks also @MattBW

When you find the right van 2 things I would note
  • if roof showing corrosion has it been accepted for repair bu VW
  • if there is oil issues the owner is paying for repair VW are not according to what others are saying
If I had such a van for sale I could not sale it too you for the PX price if I knew it had such issues Good luck in your search i would take the PX

If I had such a van for sale I could not sale it too you for the PX price if I knew it had such issues Good luck in your search i would take the PX
I swear that as prevalently posted as both issues are, this guy is just pre -internet minded and he knew of neither or he'd have had the roof registered to be done. He volunteered the oil information in a natural flow of conversation. He had nothing to lose or gain with his comment having been set for part ex tomorrow (which is now going ahead). I think he's a good egg.:thumb

Last edited:
It would depend on the px price whether it was worth taking on. Roof can be resprayed at a decent bodyshop and the potential oil issue is a gamble. Depends if you get it cheap enough to allow some funds for repairs.

If the oil light came on it's not been looked after properly. Oil should be checked with the dipstick, that's what it's there for so I think you have done right in keeping away from it.

Well swerved imo I would never buy so local privately because when it goes wrong it will only lead to bad feeling. Unless it was being given away the visible roof corrosion and very suspect 180 engine would put me off.

Mind you, if taken in Part-Ex to a VW dealer then put for sale with a reasonable markup AND a VW backed warranty for 6-12 months could be considered. The roof problem is easily solved by a good body shop which the selling Dealership should sort out and the Oil Consumption, if it does become problematic would be covered by the warranty. Just a thought.

You know....
I considered that this was a £38k van once it reached a dealer and know how generally well cared for it was.
But with the roof corrosion missing the window for a VW fix my whole experience was kicking off on the wrong foot.
Anyway the good to come from this little story is the seller has his new camper that suits his needs and long may he enjoy it :thumb