Buy all your VW California Accessories at the Club Shop Visit Shop

And the purpose of a Cali bike rack is...?

Amarillo

Amarillo

Tom
Super Poster
VIP Member
Vehicle
T6 Beach 150
a272593db7aa59c16fe51d9562f63049.jpg

Follow my blog: www.au-revoir.eu

Wait until your kids are on Beinn 26’s which will happen soon enough and that trick won’t work.

Yeah but you can’t dry towels on it like the original!

Upside down with the wheels in the window cavity?
Probably. I was just thinking how quickly children grow up. It doesn’t seem two minutes since our boys were on little Cnoc bikes.

Keep the bikes in as good a condition as possible, all our old Isla bikes have sold for more than we paid for them.

What would you do if you wanted a kip after a good bike ride?

Probably. I was just thinking how quickly children grow up. It doesn’t seem two minutes since our boys were on little Cnoc bikes.

Keep the bikes in as good a condition as possible, all our old Isla bikes have sold for more than we paid for them.

Good condition!? They spent a year being hauled 35,000 miles around Europe in all weathers on the back of our van.

Jack (age 3 years 4 months) cycled with pedals for the first time last Saturday. Yesterday we had a nine mile cycle ride on the Thames Path between the Barrier and Dome. Today a meander along the River Lea north of the M25. Islabikes are quite amazing.

Good condition!? They spent a year being hauled 35,000 miles around Europe in all weathers on the back of our van.

Jack (age 3 years 4 months) cycled with pedals for the first time last Saturday. Yesterday we had a nine mile cycle ride on the Thames Path between the Barrier and Dome. Today a meander along the River Lea north of the M25. Islabikes are quite amazing.

Ours spend quite a bit of time on the back of the Cali plus they get left lying around in the garden. Before they go on eBay, and it only seems to be the Allen headed screws that go rusty, I remove them and give them a good wire brush and a wipe with oil. The bikes are always sort after.

Ours spend quite a bit of time on the back of the Cali plus they get left lying around in the garden. Before they go on eBay, and it only seems to be the Allen headed screws that go rusty, I remove them and give them a good wire brush and a wipe with oil. The bikes are always sort after.

Nice tip. We already have two to sell: a Rothan and a small Cnoc.

Tom you did have a bike rack didn't you ...?

Totaly off topic , but how's life in a house ....are you kicked-off living in a Cali ?

Tom you did have a bike rack didn't you ...?

Totaly off topic , but how's life in a house ....are you kicked-off living in a Cali ?
We still do have one - pointless when the four bikes fit in the van.

Life in a house is very comfortable. We are still getting used to having all the facilities together.

Reactions: Sad
Tbh, and this will be met with alot of anger, but i really dont like the look of a bike rack on a cali, it makes a lovely looking cali all commericial and industrial like! We were behind one yesterday with a bike rack and my wife said "oh dear, what is that ugle looking thing!" Of course it does a great job of holding bikes, but shame there isnt better looking options or do what @Amarillo has done, put it in the back! I know you can take them off, but then comes the problem off storing it.

Tbh, and this will be met with alot of anger, but i really dont like the look of a bike rack on a cali, it makes a lovely looking cali all commericial and industrial like! We were behind one yesterday with a bike rack and my wife said "oh dear, what is that ugle looking thing!" Of course it does a great job of holding bikes, but shame there isnt better looking options or do what @Amarillo has done, put it in the back! I know you can take them off, but then comes the problem off storing it.
There is a big difference between the T5 bike rack, known as the Kylie due to its near perfect curves, and the T6 bike rack known as the Quasimodo due to its pure ugliness.
bikerack-jpg.19649

Kylie bike rack

download-jpg.25189

Quasimodo bike rack

General consensus appears to be that the Quasimodo is more functional.

They are both functional.
Full fat Cali = awning and bike rack.
Beach/Van = stick yer bikes in the back man. :D

+ 1 for a bike rack WHEN you are carrying bikes.

Otherwise it’s just extra weight and serves no practical purpose when not in use.

Otherwise it’s just extra weight and serves no practical purpose when not in use.
Problem is it takes up quite a bit of room in the shed, on the back of the Cali it’s out of the way except for the view out of your rear view mirror.

Bikes in the boot are quicker to unload than bikes on the rack, it also gives better fuel consumption. However, I do wish I'd put the bikes on the rack - my lovely new plywood multiflex extension, which will also serve as a kitchen worktop, has bicycle tyre marks on it!

Problem is it takes up quite a bit of room in the shed, on the back of the Cali it’s out of the way except for the view out of your rear view mirror.
It is a big item off the back!
I leave mine on purely for the ease of just throwing our two bikes on the back at the drop of a hat with ease. I took it off recently and found myself putting it back on within a week to go for a mtb ride. The whole idea (for me) of the Cali is it is a true multipurpose vehicle - even got roof bars on atm to carry paddle board - but they’ll be off soon as I’m a fair weather sea person!!

It is the first thing i do when i have an Ocean. Try to find a way my road- and mtb bike can fit inside the bus.

I wonder. When you move the backseat forwards, as far as possible. Could you not fit a bike or two in the space behind the beackseat and the folded bed mattress? Maybe without the front wheel?

20180621_211241.jpg Picking the kids and bikes up from school or going around Europe its hard to manage without the rack.

Holidaying in France (and pretty much every other weekend throughout the year), the bike rack is absolutely essential for us.

Mpg wasn’t great carrying all that gear though!

0898defb1c9fc69a078b51659a0529f3.jpg

I hated the rack when I had it.
Just meant every time you needed something from the boot you had to unload the bikes.
Massive PITA...!!!

I prefer mine inside or I stick the towbar rack on.