Another alternative to VCDS? (Vag401) Enabling bluetooth for free RNS 315

MattBW

MattBW

Here to help
Super Poster
Lifetime VIP Member
Vehicle
T5 Beach
I've been reading the Carista thread with interest, and enabled the app with an existing ELM327 device I had. I now have auto locking doors which is awesome.

However Carista still has some menus missing, namley the Coding one which allows access to media/BT etc. Research suggests I may have found a potential alternative to VCDS without the £270 outlay.

This is the device I am looking at, cost £41 and reportedly gives access to everything VCDS does (although perhaps not so user friendly).
81VvXPcYhVL._SL1500_.jpg

Looks also like it allows coding access:
51Tpeh4kYqL.jpg

I will report on how it goes when it arrives later today and if its a good alternative.

Last edited:
Look forward to reading your review!

I have VCDS and would welcome the chance to compare the two items. Does the Xtool kit come with lifetime software updates and technical support?

Rod

I don't think it will compete with VCDS for customer support and user friendly interface.

First experience.

So I updated it last night, it seems to have been updated last at the end of 2015. The update was incredibly slow as was the update tools download. If you ever get one you must back up the files on the SD card before you update. It took 3 attempts and a reinstall of the software to get it updated.

At the moment I've only plugged it in and looked at the menus.
Device is quite large and seems solid yet light. Comes with usb SD card reader to update the firmware and vehicle data. Works fine but SD and usb are very poor fit and cheap (to be expected?). I also nearly put the SD card into the shell because of a small gap by the SD slot.
fdf91111c42dd2f12d735cd6db51c980.jpg

Plugged in this am to see what codes are available:

Seems to have everything there but it isn't as user friendly as VCDS. You will need to research before you change anything as once in the menu it's not entirely clear.

I could see navigation and radio menus.

a6feae7c2496fb66afb0398f9668a535.jpg

However once inside its not so clear and will need research. Powerful in the right hands I wager.
7b1c64db656cee0b6366630d4c69de7a.jpg

Last edited:
Will explore menus and coding potential after work :)

Last edited:
this looks interesting - I have VCDS - its not too bad once you get your head around a few things - but its always good to have a back up - especially for that price Matt!

navigation coding is available takes a minute or so to appear.

31be5743911b6ad46aa70a9fd30156cd.jpg

Coding is where my knowledge runs out so I didn't make any changes here.

701653151e0a92f74eeeff926cbfecfd.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Very impressed although maybe not for the faint hearted.

The best thing is I haven't had to install BT. I was ready to fork out 150 on a Denison BT kit but this head unit already had it but disabled by Vw ( they wanted £360 to install BT).

Just need to install a mic like the one you've linked and I'm good. That little device has already paid for itself.

How did you route the mic?
:-D

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

[QUOTE="

How did you route the mic?
:-D
Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk[/QUOTE]

Behind the instrument cluster, up the A pillar tucked in the door seal and then on the Yeti I managed to pull the roof lining down slightly and across to the centre roof console. Doddle once there as there was already a dedicated slot to mic which fitted straight in.
Not sure on the Cali as ours has the mic built into the headlining on the drivers side. perhaps possible to build it into the overhead console somewhere.

Worth adding on first try I actually disabled the DAB when I enabled the BT, but I now have both working. It was an educated guess change to the code though which was a little scary.

The device certainly works well but you genuinely have no idea what you are changing. You either need the workshop manual from VW or perhaps the VCDS helper may be a good. Not sure if it works without being connected up?

Microphone will fit behind round grill either side of interior cab light with wire pushed up under headlining above screen & down left a pillar the behind glovebox to stereo.
Or can fit in headlining with a mounting kit. Somewhere there is a thread with instructions.

Sent from my SM-G900F using Tapatalk

I've been reading the Carista thread with interest, and enabled the app with an existing ELM327 device I had. I now have auto locking doors which is awesome.

However Carista still has some menus missing, namley the Coding one which allows access to media/BT etc. Research suggests I may have found a potential alternative to VCDS without the £270 outlay.

This is the device I am looking at, cost £41 and reportedly gives access to everything VCDS does (although perhaps not so user friendly).
81VvXPcYhVL._SL1500_.jpg

Looks also like it allows coding access:
51Tpeh4kYqL.jpg

I will report on how it goes when it arrives later today and if its a good alternative.
I’d love to know if this was capable of ‘adapting’ my new dpf sensor. It appears as 10 on the menu above but would require entering the 30605 code. It doesn’t have a keypad but I suppose it might generate it’s own code and require a “do it” only. Dunno. Expensive for me to buy on off chance but I’m getting desperate.

Back