Buy all your VW California Accessories at the Club Shop Visit Shop

Another Auxilliary belt failure 2014 Beach 140

S

swisspace

VIP Member
Hi, as a child I remember going over hardknock and wrynose passes so on this trip to the UK I decided that my youngest boys should also experience it. beautiful drove over to eskdale ate lunch and was heading back , we had just finished wrynose when at a particularly narrow spot we had to pull right over to the side to allow a car to pass - then a strange noise appeared and a smell of burning, no warning lights and as we were in the middle of nowhere and in a narrow spot I carried on to find a spot to inspect then the noise reappeared and I lost power steering and the charging light came on so I guessed it was a belt failure. checked underneath saw no leaks to decided to head for the nearest garage rather than recovery.

we were fortunate to find an independent garage in windermere when we arrived around 4pm who could source a belt that day and fitted it so we were on our way again at around 6.30pm.

having read on the forum of the belt failing causing damage to the cambelt on the biturbo models, the question is is this the same for the 140bhp single turbo model, should I book it in for a major service with cambelt change asap as precaution and get them to check if there is some modification required for the auxiliary belt, the beach has done around 67'000 kms (42'000 miles)

I am surprised that a belt failed in this day and age - I know that they don't like oil which will quickly age them but this was dry.

Thanks in advance
Ian

P.S. at least this was a minor inconvenience compared to the aircon pump seizing in France a few years back on our defender 110 which cost me a fortune and led to me selling it and buying something newer and more reliable?

Wow that's good service.
Took a VW dealer four days to fix ours in France.
Did they change the tensioner as well as my understanding is that this is usually the cause of the failure on a relatively low mileage van.

No I am guessing they just changed the belt, I think I will book it in for a full service anyway and see what the VW garage in Switzerland says. I don't recommend breaking down in France - our landrover Breakdown happened on the wrong side of a weekend and cost me a small fortune of 5000 euros - before you ask we thought we had breakdown cover but due to an administrative cock up at TCS they denied us any help - not even recovery phone numbers and adding insult to injury their regular magazine arrived in post the day we got back. with ADAC now and also covered by car insurance

Back