Buy all your VW California Accessories at the Club Shop Visit Shop

Another Cali-killer? Westfalia Keppler 6 LWB

bvddobb

bvddobb

Top Poster
VIP Member
Vehicle
T5 SE 174 4Motion
We didn't like the 2017 model of Westfalia's T6-based campervan, with the roof up in the back, and a fixed kitchen and toilet in the back.

But now for 2018 they have announced a more 'classic' campervan, with a kitchen on the side and a poptop that raises in the front, also on a LWB T6. That could be interesting...

I'm a Westy fan, but not a fan of this.....
1) Westfalia are having to work around the edges of the classic SWB pop top. I believe they have agreed not to compete directly with the VW Cali. So they will always be looking at the niches (with Loo, or LWB here)
2) I don't really get the gain with a LWB on a conventional side kitchen layout. It just means your passengers or guests are 30cm further away from you. Perhaps there is an argument for carrying bikes inside. Unless the extra length can be used to achieve a different layout (as in the Joker etc), I question the value vs convenience....
3) Having just come from a LWB van, that extra length is a pain when hunting for a parking space (unless you don't mind sticking out of the row).
4) Sleeping on the back of the rock n roll seat seems to be the winning solution (as in the RIB and Reimo beds). Sleeping on passenger seats is increasingly difficult (too firm / sculptured). This roll-over bed in the Keppler looks too high (to sit up in bed) and when stored must take up all the extra 30cm from the LWB

It will be built like a brick sh*t-house though, apart from those poncy glossy cupboard fronts.

Looks similar units to Marco Polo so bit flash. They also seem to have copied Calis rear door storage instead of big bag. Must admit I looked at the Joker and although units looked substantial they also looked naff.
:) Also the lower bed leaves no floor space and where is the monstrosity bed base stored. Sorry there is no such thing as a Cali killer just another conversion to consider.

Last edited:
Always gonna win the "bog-in-the-back" vote. :Nailbiting

2) I don't really get the gain with a LWB on a conventional side kitchen layout. It just means your passengers or guests are 30cm further away from you. Perhaps there is an argument for carrying bikes inside. Unless the extra length can be used to achieve a different layout (as in the Joker etc), I question the value vs convenience....
Well, for one, it can seat 6 on comfy real seats, not just 4 of which 2 on the really bad (from a seating perspective) back bench of the current Cali

Well, for one, it can seat 6 on comfy real seats, not just 4 of which 2 on the really bad (from a seating perspective) back bench of the current Cali
Fair enough point! Although I did think the two rows worked OK in the SWB beach.

Fair enough point! Although I did think the two rows worked OK in the SWB beach.
But tin a Beach you don't have kitchen, cupboard, etc. Here you could have 6 full fledged seats AND a camper interior.

Could be interesting if "the activity" (eg: mountain biking etc) was your main reason for being out in it, rather than "the campervanning" being an end in itself.

The perspective is all whack with that fisheye lens, but those are wide MTB bars behind the bed there - a lot of people will be able to use the extra space.

@bvddobb Your language skills probably allowed you to gain more from the video than I did. I guess the clue is in the product name, but the video doesn't do much to illustrate that this one's particular niche is that it can carry 6 with a full kitchen, although I doubt how practical cooking would be with all 6 seat in. ("Pass the kettle darling!")

As another Westfalia fan I agree with the others here and can only think VW are stopping them making a true Westy Cali. The same vehicle they perfected and VW carbon copied.

If only they could do that again just like the T4 but in three versions. A full fat with kitchen, wardrobe etc; a semi-skimmed with full width bed, two seater and mini kitchen pod and a skimmed with no pod and two or three seat rear. But all with Westfalia bomb proof build quality and a non-VW roof...

Forget loos and six in a Transporter, it's just silly.

I think i must've looked at every conversion before buying my California last year.

I just couldn't stomach the idea off spending £40k + on a new van to have a third party chop the roof off.

I'd have one but wouldn't swap my beach for it. westfalia have a lot of be proud of that vw have copied

I saw a Westfalia Marco Polo based on a 2003 Mercedes Vito on ebay a while ago it was set out inside the same as a T4 Westy. It looked like a really nice piece of kit.

I'm a Westy fan, but not a fan of this.....
1) Westfalia are having to work around the edges of the classic SWB pop top. I believe they have agreed not to compete directly with the VW Cali. So they will always be looking at the niches (with Loo, or LWB here)
3) Having just come from a LWB van, that extra length is a pain when hunting for a parking space (unless you don't mind sticking out of the row).
4) Sleeping on the back of the rock n roll seat seems to be the winning solution (as in the RIB and Reimo beds). Sleeping on passenger seats is increasingly difficult (too firm / sculptured). This roll-over bed in the Keppler looks too high (to sit up in bed) and when stored must take up all the extra 30cm from the LWB

It will be built like a brick sh*t-house though, apart from those poncy glossy cupboard fronts.

I have to say that this forum has been a great insight to me, and I’ve been looking and dreaming for nearly a year. My initial plans have changed as time has progressed, dreaming of my ideal VW camper.
My wife and I had a great holiday hiring a VW Cali for 3 weeks over Christmas. Really good vehicle. We came home wanting to buy one, and missed 2 on this club site. Then we went to the Motorhome show at NEC and saw the plethora of custom vans. We started to look seriously at Dirty Weekender and Three Bridge, just put off by the delay of having your van built as we want it for this summer. Then we saw a Westfalia Keplar 6 which is a year old and available now.

We really like the LWB. We want to take bikes with us. The LWB with bikes inside, is shorter than SWB with a bike rack fitted, and clearly more secure. Taking your vehicle on a ferry with bike rack, often incurs extra charge. We also like the many other features fitted as standard such as leather seats, hot and cold water, shower, and very flexible seat position with two single seats on tracks. Also like the storage boxes that are standard fitted to tracks, newspaper and magazine storage in rear offside window. Ongoing running costs are a consideration and with a custom van you do not incur the additional luxury road tax in first 3 years as the tax is based on cost of the donor Transporter.

I think we are so lucky to have such a good choice of vehicles available and I guess it’s really what works for you.

Hope to take delivery of Westy by end of month, but my dream is still to get my own bespoke custom van in the future.

Hope to catch up with some of you on the road this year.

Good news and an update from me.

Something you should be aware of is that the early Westfalia Kepler 6's imported in to UK, did not have a Passenger Airbag fitted. Evidently this was an oversight on the French manufacturer. This is not a deal breaker as after all, we have all probably driven many vehicles without airbags, and indeed the deployment can give you serious injuries.

My wife and I went to look at a new Westfalia Kepler 6 this week. Many aspects of it were particularly good for our intended use, however we had some concerns over after sales service, warranty and depreciation. In all honesty, we had a pretty bad experience with the dealer that we visited, which put us off completely.

In the meantime, VW SMG Tonbridge contacted us about a 2 year old 204 DSG 4Motion California that had just arrived, which ticked a lot of our boxes. We were looking for Sat Nav, LED Lights, Reversing Camera and Removable Tow Hitch as a minimum. The model in question had these and loads more factory fitted items, such as Alcantara Seats, Shower, Diff Lock, Adaptive Cruise Control to mention a few, plus many after market parts including VB Air Suspension.

Layla will be ready for pick up on the 1st April (no April fools jokes please), and we are very happy.

We now are looking for all the bits that you need to kit it out, if anyone has anything.

Very happy and looking forward to our first trips away.

Back