Buy all your VW California Accessories at the Club Shop Visit Shop

Another long-time lurker, just ordered our Cali

Morsels

Morsels

Lifetime VIP Member
Vehicle
T6.1 Ocean 199 4Motion
...so feel I am properly in the club and qualified to post now!

We live in Gibraltar, the Government here dropped its 18% import tax on new vehicles to help kickstart the garages here up to the end of May, so we took the opportunity to order a 4Motion Cali Ocean.

Our big countdown to October delivery date started yesterday...

Big welcome to you and congratulations. Of course be prepared for the clamour of "specs? Pics? Where to" .... we are a nosey lot ... but also helpful!

18% wow! That presents a great opportunity. Your journey starts here, welcome and enjoy.

Wow, that sounds great. October will soon be here...

I must get my eyes tested .... another specsaver moment ...

I read the title as "another long-time lurker just ordered our cali"..... I thought "The swine!! sneaking in before you ..... :( "

Try telling that to two under-10s, never mind their parents!
Oh yup, I can understand that.
Well plenty of time to plan trips, decide what accessories you need, where to store them all in the van, who gets which ‘chores’ when camping... and start practising card games or other small compact games for 4 round a small table and pretend you’re in the Cali already...

Try telling that to two under-10s, never mind their parents!
Get them all to vote if you can, please please, im on my knees
here feeling like Jeremy Corbyn in a moth ridden tank top.

We live in Gibraltar, the Government here dropped its 18% import tax on new vehicles to help kickstart the garages here up to the end of May, so we took the opportunity to order a 4Motion Cali Ocean.

Congratulations! And welcome! Enjoy when you get it. Some.sleepless nights now ....

Congratulations on the order.

We also placed an order for a CaliOcean with rock motors on May 22nd. So we will also be enduring the long wait until October.

We have been wanting a Cali for around a year and rented one from Vanbreak in Málaga last year, with the import duty discount it was way too good to turn down. I almost imported an ocean last year from Solera motors in Algecirias, however glad I waited as I’ve got a lot more for my money now and also new T6.1.

Wow so you’re going to get yours in theory a week before us! Yeah we cannot wait either, how many are in your family? We have us two adults, two under 10s and a dog, so first port of call is decent seat covers!

I haven’t got the customs import clearance yet, have you? My parking space is slightly bigger than the van so I am not envisaging any issues but it is a box I’d like to tick sooner rather than later.

Wow so you’re going to get yours in theory a week before us! Yeah we cannot wait either, how many are in your family? We have us two adults, two under 10s and a dog, so first port of call is decent seat covers!

I haven’t got the customs import clearance yet, have you? My parking space is slightly bigger than the van so I am not envisaging any issues but it is a box I’d like to tick sooner rather than later.

We are two adults and one toddler and are hoping to get the van before October mid-term as wife is a teacher and we would like to get away in the van for that week!

With regards to the parking space size I created a thread on the forum last year with same concerns, end of the story was no problems as I rented one and it fit in the space without an issue. We have opted for the bike rack this time so the van will be even longer, but not a concern as it comfortably fit in the parking space.

I know a few people who have imported campervans and they have had no issues so long as they have a private parking space. You just need a letter from your estate management company stating that you are allowed to park the van there. Seems to be an antiquated law to stop people living in campervans (it obviously does not work as speak freely currently full of photos of campers in Catalan Bay parking.)

@Eldoovis is active on the forum kindly and gave me a lot of information and help last year. I've also seen posts from @Javier Millan on this forum and he is also from Gib. Not sure if they have anything further to add to what I've said with regards to the customs clearance.

We are two adults and one toddler and are hoping to get the van before October mid-term as wife is a teacher and we would like to get away in the van for that week!

With regards to the parking space size I created a thread on the forum last year with same concerns, end of the story was no problems as I rented one and it fit in the space without an issue. We have opted for the bike rack this time so the van will be even longer, but not a concern as it comfortably fit in the parking space.

I know a few people who have imported campervans and they have had no issues so long as they have a private parking space. You just need a letter from your estate management company stating that you are allowed to park the van there. Seems to be an antiquated law to stop people living in campervans (it obviously does not work as speak freely currently full of photos of campers in Catalan Bay parking.)

@Eldoovis is active on the forum kindly and gave me a lot of information and help last year. I've also seen posts from @Javier Millan on this forum and he is also from Gib. Not sure if they have anything further to add to what I've said with regards to the customs clearance.

Thanks, and good luck with that delivery date. I suspect they’ll slip due to impact of the virus but let’s wait and see...

@gibcali Did your van arrive? We have been told January, after a week 47 build...

@Morsels Yes we did, it eventually got handed over on November 25th.

I had everything prepared for Customs and it still took nearly 3 weeks for it to clear customs.

Also I had problems getting insurance for it, the only place that would insure it Fully Comprehensive was Masbros. If you speak to Clive there he is very helpful and managed to get me a better price by moving everything over to them.

What did you have to prepare for customs? I handed the paperwork re the parking space to Rock Motors and they said they’d deal with it all.

We ordered ours 6 days after you and are still waiting - not that the there is currently any rush with lockdown etc!

:welcome

What did you have to prepare for customs? I handed the paperwork re the parking space to Rock Motors and they said they’d deal with it all.

We ordered ours 6 days after you and are still waiting - not that the there is currently any rush with lockdown etc!

We had to actually go to customs house and arrange the import license, as they classify the VW California Ocean as a motor caravan, this involved.

- Inspecting the parking space and making sure that the car fits
- A letter from your estate management (this as BFA in our case), this needs to state that there are no objections to you parking the car there. If your renting a parking space then it needs to be from the landlord of the parking space.
- Copy of local ID card
- Completion of Caravan import license
- Sales contract for vehicle
- Specifications of vehicle (I just gave them basic stuff from cali brochure.)

This is exactly what customs asked me for, you should speak to David Sanchez there as he deals with this.

Please attend the Custom House, Waterport counter between 0830hrs and 1500hrs Monday to Thursday (closing on 1430hrs Friday) and we can provide you with a Caravan Import Licence application form which you would need to fill in prior to importing the motor home. You would also need to bring with you; An invoice or notarised bill of sale for the vehicle The vehicle’s specifications A copy of your local ID card Added to this you would need find a parking that is off the public highway for the motor home. You would need to provide a letter form the land lords of this parking stating that they give you permission to park it in their location. If I can be of any further assistance please do not hesitate to contact me.

Gustavo is the man you want to speak to at Rock Motors for the customs stuff, he was very helpful.

The processes was very slow I started mine 2 months before the van arrived and still had delays, I would also check with Rock Motors that the process has not changed too. Basically it would be a good idea to start the process as soon as you can get the chassis number from Rock Motors.

We have only managed one night away in the van so far and done a bunch of day trips, but through our latest lockdown it is just sitting in the garage :(

Ok thanks for the info! Yes, really not in a rush to receive ours at this time. Will let you know how we get on.

@gibcali I have just chosen a reg number for the van, and sent Rock Motors my ID card scan, they say delivery next Thursday/Friday... let's see how long the customs side of it takes right in the middle of a lockdown...

Back