Buy all your VW California Accessories at the Club Shop Visit Shop

Another question please

john mar

john mar

Basil
VIP Member
Vehicle
T6.1 Ocean 150
I bought the cord that goes around the top opening canvas from the club shop.

Can any one tell me please how tight should this be.

I have also read some of the mishaps on this forum,
And to walk round and check when the roof is coming down.

I bought the cord that goes around the top opening canvas from the club shop.

Can any one tell me please how tight should this be.

I have also read some of the mishaps on this forum,
And to walk round and check when the roof is coming down.

Hi John

how tight is personal choice, mine would be not too tight. The design of the roof means it naturally wants to fold in, all you want to do is to give it a helping hand, not force it.

I always do a walk round before the roof locks down. A glance into the rear normally tells you that all is ok but on blustery days things can change quickly and when the roof is about 80% closed, that's when I just stand in front or behind, check nothing is trapped, and also do a walk round just to check nothing has been left under the van (dirty boots are my favourite), rear windows are closed, hook-up is disconnected and stowed etc. It only takes 30 seconds but that 30 seconds can save a lot of heartache :D

you need to easily get your hand under the bungee on the corner so not too tight

The top tip I have read on the forum is to make sure the front side windows are open when lowering the roof as the displaced air has to go somewhere - ideally weather permitting the side door as well.
From what I have read - not doing this causes the roof canvass to bellow and potentially get caught in the scissor mechanism- hope that helps

Also the bungee cord tends to stretch/age over time, so you need to periodically check and adjust the bungee tension.

And having the bungee cord does not necessary mean that the canvas will not snag/tear with the mechanism, so always take precautions and check as you are winding the roof back in.

The top tip I have read on the forum is to make sure the front side windows are open when lowering the roof as the displaced air has to go somewhere - ideally weather permitting the side door as well.
From what I have read - not doing this causes the roof canvass to bellow and potentially get caught in the scissor mechanism- hope that helps
If there is any wind its best to only open window/door on the lee side of the van otherwise a gust can cause the canvas to bellow.

My 2006 bellows has clear damage from being caught in the mechanism - from the two previous owners. In the last 4 years, I haven't been able to reproduce this myself: the bellow always folds neatly inside. Even when windy. But always using the procedure as ArunAlec mentions - I don't even have an elastic cord merely to prove that it is an unnecessary item. :D
I hope I'm right.