Buy all your VW California Accessories at the Club Shop Visit Shop

Any 6.1 Coast owners out there?

C

Chapmac

Vehicle
Just browsing
We are close to ordering but wondered if there are any owners out there who could share ownership experiences? Why did you go for a Coast rather than an Ocean? What did you add as options?

We were planning to buy used but prices of used T6 Oceans are through the roof it makes the Coast look great value by comparison, especially with 2 services and 4 years warranty thrown in.

Any pics gratefully received - our dealer does not have any 6.1s in stock and pretty much everything on the web is of the two-tone vans with super fancy wheels.

Also - especially interested in feedback from anyone who has the standard audio - its a significant price to upgrade to the 8" screen. I would never use the satnav preferring Google maps or Waze via CarPlay. My understanding is that all the other features of We connect are retained, so the money is just buying satnav functionality and screen real estate. Am I correct?

Hi My coast has just arrived in UK, happy to send some pics but will be a few weeks until we pick it up. I went for cherry red with standard wheels but did add front fogs and privacy glass. I also went for the bed extension upgrade and heated seats. You are correct on the SATNAV, check out california chris on youtube, he covers this in one of his videos.

We have ordered a Coast for same reasons as you and also making same assumption that standard screen will be fine since you can hook your phone up to use google maps. That’s what I have and prefer in current car. Works great.
Options that were important to me were climatronic aircon for rear passengers To keep kids cool, privacy glass and the front opening on the pop top canvas. This last one looks amazing when you are sitting in it with it open. Really brings the outside into the van. I’m also considering amending order to ass all weather tyres as am worried about getting stuck on wet grass at campsites.

We are close to ordering but wondered if there are any owners out there who could share ownership experiences? Why did you go for a Coast rather than an Ocean? What did you add as options?

We were planning to buy used but prices of used T6 Oceans are through the roof it makes the Coast look great value by comparison, especially with 2 services and 4 years warranty thrown in.

Any pics gratefully received - our dealer does not have any 6.1s in stock and pretty much everything on the web is of the two-tone vans with super fancy wheels.

Also - especially interested in feedback from anyone who has the standard audio - its a significant price to upgrade to the 8" screen. I would never use the satnav preferring Google maps or Waze via CarPlay. My understanding is that all the other features of We connect are retained, so the money is just buying satnav functionality and screen real estate. Am I correct?
I think you also get bluetooth CarPlay connectivity and wireless charging with the upgraded audio

@toeknee useful thanks. Will definitely be going with the privacy glass and the front opening for the pop top canvas. 3-zone climatronic seems expensive though compared with standard air-con. You obviously must think it worth it though?

Hi
We now have a T6.1 coast come in that arrived today in Poole I’m on day off tomorrow but back in Thursday if you wanted to come in and have a look?
Tom

@toeknee useful thanks. Will definitely be going with the privacy glass and the front opening for the pop top canvas. 3-zone climatronic seems expensive though compared with standard air-con. You obviously must think it worth it though?
It is essential for me as i have kids that will be travelling in the back during the hot summer months. If it wasnt for that i wouldnt bother.

I had a 2013 Cali SE and purchased an ex demo Coast 4wks ago. I don’t think the lesser spec of the Coast is in any way a disadvantage. The Ocean just seems to be all bells and whistles. Great if you have the budget.

The manual roof is a bit fiddley but you save on using battery power (unless you keep the engine running on the elec ones).
Extras mine came with are:
Sat Nav - handy but I wouldn’t have bothered if ordering a new one as App Connect is great.
Comfort mattress - great
Fog lights - look good
Heated seats - an essential in my opinion

I was looking at used 2019 Oceans but glad I went for the newer model Coast.

I upgraded the wheels and front splitter. Although the new bike rack gets some stick for being ugly, I think it’s better and easier to use.

As many say on here, get what you can afford.

good luck with your purchase

BC412136-8047-4149-9E2C-68FB60F4C9FC.jpeg

I had a 2013 Cali SE and purchased an ex demo Coast 4wks ago. I don’t think the lesser spec of the Coast is in any way a disadvantage. The Ocean just seems to be all bells and whistles. Great if you have the budget.

The manual roof is a bit fiddley but you save on using battery power (unless you keep the engine running on the elec ones).
Sat Nav - handy but I wouldn’t have bothered if ordering a new one as App Connect is great.
Comfort mattress - great
Fog lights - look good

I upgraded the wheels and front splitter. Although the new bike rack gets some stick for being ugly, I think it’s better and easier to use.

View attachment 64532
That looks ace :thumb
The fiddley manual roof will work forever.

Comfort mattress - great
Fog lights - look good

View attachment 64532
Looks great. I haven’t specced the fog lights but I agree they look good and sort of wish I had. What is the front splitter upgrade?

hello,
I do not understand why heated seats are an essential, the heating sure works well enough even in winter ???

hello,
I do not understand why heated seats are an essential, the heating sure works well enough even in winter ???
I would not say essential, but mine came with them as standard, and as the California is a big volume of air that needs to be heated, I use it frequently to heat myself up in the early minutes of driving. Once I am heated, the heating goes out.
What is essential is normal cruise control. This should be standard in a travelling vehicle. Not a €300+ option.
That looks ace :thumb
The fiddley manual roof will work forever.
Until a gas strut decides to give up in the middle of the night.
And no roof box fully loaded up to 50kgs (poor gas struts)
And hopefully no more pinches that on an electric roof while shutting the roof...

Hi Chipmac and welcome.

I have recently sold my Ocean and would certainly consider a coast if I was going to purchase another Cali but that won't be any time soon in the current circumstances.

I like the idea of the manual roof and one less thing to worry about when the vehicle is out of warranty.

I would want to spec the front opening roof bellows, Double Glazing & privacy glass with opening window on the sliding door, bed extension and comfort mattress, upgrade to 17 inch wheels and front fogs. but then I would need to consider how close to an Ocean it was in price.

Not really interested in a digital cockpit, so long as my van did what it should, take me from A to wherever and camp.

Looks great. I haven’t specced the fog lights but I agree they look good and sort of wish I had. What is the front splitter upgrade?
Thanks
Front splitter from Vanstyle - £100
Wanted the one from Leighton vans but that’s was £1k!!

hello,
The sea is cold in the winter. I need to warm up quick. I hate being cold ;)

Hi
We now have a T6.1 coast come in that arrived today in Poole I’m on day off tomorrow but back in Thursday if you wanted to come in and have a look?
Tom
Is it possible for you to confirm what size , in amps, Leisure Batteries are fitted to the T6.1? The Brochure says 72 amp hours in line with the T5 & 6, but a Swiss owner says 105 amp hr batteries.

Hi
Tom
Hi Tom,
Do you know how much weight the manual pop up roof will take? Roof rack, roof box etc. I remember the electric one taking about 50kg?
Thanks

Back