Buy all your VW California Accessories at the Club Shop Visit Shop

Any amateur radio or CB folks in Calis?

Thanks, yes this was my understanding too (I'm also on a couple of UK DX forums but they have much less traffic - maybe because folks on there use the radio to talk and not the computer!? :rolleyes:)
I do have a UK address, but it would mean I cannot actually use the licence abroad for any length of time without transferring it and then incurring the annual fee... But still, to get qualified seems like a good idea to me in the long run. :thumb

I also use the freeband 27.555 as well as amateur bands, often speak to stations in Swizerland where there is some Sporadic E .

UK foundation exam is about £20 I think

I'm sticking to the EU CB bands so far - I don't want to get into trouble by pirating on the licensed bands (and I'd need to mod one of my rigs anyway). I've also managed to QSO back to the UK a few times in the past months - spoken to guys in Exeter, Birmingham and Swindon - all on just 4W from my side. Where I live I can regularly speak with guys 60-90km away hitting R4 and S7.

This was my humble setup a couple of weeks ago when out in the van... sadly didn't really get much as I was in a valley. On the way home on Sunday a.m. over the hills it was alive with chatter.
20201002_115451.jpg

Just in the process of doing my foundation course and have my exam in a couple of weeks.

Wondering if we have any amateur radio enthusiasts in the Cali club. :)

Matt.
Yes I have a full licence (GM0CQV)

This is still quite fresh in my mind hehe.
A is alternative address.
P is temporary location I think as in portable.
M is mobile, so this one for moving I guess.
Hi GM0**V. Here wonder if you have fitted an Antenna on your Cali, if so, could you recommend type of fitting and where on your Van did you place it

cheers

Just in the process of doing my foundation course and have my exam in a couple of weeks.

Wondering if we have any amateur radio enthusiasts in the Cali club. :)

Matt.
ZB2TT here, got my Cali back in November 2020.

Between the lockdowns I have not done any radio yet from the van but hoping to get something sorted in the near future.

I only really have space for 17m and above antennas at home so would hope to get on 40m/20m/30m from some mobile spots around ZB.

I have a doublet with a 300 ohm band cable for 20 meter to 10 meter bands, which I can extend to the 80 meter band. I prefer to hang the antenna in a tree. But have a 7 meter long telescopic aluminum mast to which I use a "Drive-on Car Stand" alternatively one of the awning legs depending on weather.

SA0PAL

Any CBers ? I see it's having a massive resurrection especially in the VW community, be good at meets

Any CBers ? I see it's having a massive resurrection especially in the VW community, be good at meets
Interesting you should say that as in the DX forum I also visit there seems not to be the expected lockdown-boost of local CB that mirrors the increase in prices on eBay for rigs.
I'm quite lucky here as I tuned into an organised round with 25 people all told that actually went for about 4 hours (I was not in for that long!). On a regular day you easily make several contacts without much trying. It must be a bit disappointing to find out the frequencies are not as alive as they once were having just bought a rig, etc.

But if more VW'ers are also becoming CB'ers then that isn't a bad thing! If/when I get back over to the UK I'll be bringing a rig on the van and hope to get on a local weekly round I read about near Newbury.

Just installed a midland-mini CB in the cali. 3M adhesive on the dash good enough for testing purpose. Lot's of reception but bad transmission due to mini magnetic antenna on the top of the boot. But fun to relive CB world :)

Did a novice course for HAM license ON3 in belgium but that license would only be valid for belgium so traveling it would not be valid :rolleyes:. So I need to get a full license which is much more complex.

@Martin : does that side magnetic antenna work well? Interesting easy install.

Just installed a midland-mini CB in the cali. 3M adhesive on the dash good enough for testing purpose. Lot's of reception but bad transmission due to mini magnetic antenna on the top of the boot. But fun to relive CB world :)

Did a novice course for HAM license ON3 in belgium but that license would only be valid for belgium so traveling it would not be valid :rolleyes:. So I need to get a full license which is much more complex.

I also put a mag mount on the top of the rear door and it works fine. It's a Wilson Little Wil. I've also got a tiny Midland mag mount, about 30cm long, which is not so good but works.

This past 1 week has seen a lot of skip on the EU CB Band and I've managed to chat with a few stations in the UK using only the CB and no extra power.

Keep at working for the full licence, I operate Portable from the Cali from different locations and it been very good, with world wide contacts

Many thanks, Ofcom and RSGB are so fast now, already have my new call allocated this morning de G5MAT