Buy all your VW California Accessories at the Club Shop Visit Shop

Any revolutionary 12v kettles out there?!

Muchos04

Muchos04

Vehicle
T5 SE 130
Hi all,

It’s been a while since someone brought up a question about 12v kettles! Is there any decent ones out there? I bought one and it was frankly a joke. Took at 30 mins to get warm before I flung the thing in the bin!

Dave

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Haha read @Amarillo’s thread..

Last edited:
You’re better off buying a ridge monkey kettle to use on the gas hob. We’ve got one and it boils almost as quickly as the electric kettle we use on hook up.

You’re better off buying a ridge monkey kettle to use on the gas hob. We’ve got one and it boils almost as quickly as the electric kettle we use on hook up.
Can anybody tell Ridge Monkey to switch the light ON when photographing their products?
In the dominant online shopping world, it doesn't seem smart either not to show your products properly.
And back to topic, 12V is not indicated for generating a lot of heath.

Here we go , another repeat of the “4 days to boil my 12v kettle “ story!!

Haha read @Amarillo’s thread..

An embarrassing tale of woe. Perhaps I should just delete the thread.

.......and there it is!!

Hi all,

It’s been a while since someone brought up a question about 12v kettles! Is there any decent ones out there? I bought one and it was frankly a joke. Took at 30 mins to get warm before I flung the thing in the bin!

Dave

Agree. My view would be forget it. They just take too long. Maybe OK if you are reheating water from a thermos. For trips up to 5 hours (sometimes longer ) we find Stanley vacuum bottles work well as long as you pre heat them, no need to reheat to make filler coffee not sure about tea.

Gas will be quicker and will save your batteries, anything that heats will draw alot of power.

We have had one of these for about 5 years, and is compact to store:

I get on well with one of these too. I like the fact that it fits in the bowl in the sink alongside the few other things I keep in there. I would like to find a collapsible whistling kettle one day though.

If you are carrying a kettle for the gas stove any way, I don’t see the need to carry another thing (12V electric kettle) as well. I could understand someone having a 220V kettle, toaster or coffee machine if they are always on electric hookup I suppose.

I get on well with one of these too. I like the fact that it fits in the bowl in the sink alongside the few other things I keep in there. I would like to find a collapsible whistling kettle one day though.

If you are carrying a kettle for the gas stove any way, I don’t see the need to carry another thing (12V electric kettle) as well. I could understand someone having a 220V kettle, toaster or coffee machine if they are always on electric hookup I suppose.

Big backward step in camper design...none seem to have a grill anymore.

Our previous T4, T25 & T2 all had twin burners & grill.

Last edited:
Can anybody tell Ridge Monkey to switch the light ON when photographing their products?
In the dominant online shopping world, it doesn't seem smart either not to show your products properly.
And back to topic, 12V is not indicated for generating a lot of heath.
Ridgemonkey predominantly sell to guys (less gals I suspect) that sit alone on river banks trying to blend in to their surroundings, not wanting to alert their prey to their presence. Often this extends into the night with very little if any lighting. I don’t fish and don’t understand that world, but I can see why Ridgemonkey’s marketing and advertising strategies are as they are.

If you want to know what their products are like look for reviews and YouTube vids.

Ridgemonkey predominantly sell to guys (less gals I suspect) that sit alone on river banks trying to blend in to their surroundings, not wanting to alert their prey to their presence. Often this extends into the night with very little if any lighting. I don’t fish and don’t understand that world, but I can see why Ridgemonkey’s marketing and advertising strategies are as they are.

If you want to know what their products are like look for reviews and YouTube vids.
I bought the square kettle last year and i can't find it now, so you are right
about the blending in bit :)

You are correct. But obviously there's a lot of Cali owners using it, why restrict their advertisement strategy to fishing?
I am tempted to buy one, mainly for the purpose of being able to cook inside avoiding splattering of oil and fat on the Cali kitchen.

The ridge monkey cooking products are the only items of my fishing gear that Mrs gas even allows to be within 10 meters of the van. Apparently my fishing gear smells

You are correct. But obviously there's a lot of Cali owners using it, why restrict their advertisement strategy to fishing?
I am tempted to buy one, mainly for the purpose of being able to cook inside avoiding splattering of oil and fat on the Cali kitchen.
Its like fishing gear that we can also use when camping.

Fishing gear, that's it.
But good gear.

Hi all,

Dave

Have you considered a jet boil flash?
we have one and it’s pretty quick, and a good gadget.

Big backward step in camper design...none seem to have a grill anymore.

Our previous T4, T25 & T2 all had twin burners & grill.
That was one reason why I really liked the Cali. Just a 2 ring burner and no space "wasted" (in my opinion) to fit a grill or any other cooking aplliances.

That was one reason why I really liked the Cali. Just a 2 ring burner and no space "wasted" (in my opinion) to fit a grill or any other cooking aplliances.
If there was a grill then a Portapotti couldn’t be kept in the kitchen cupboard.:Iamsorry

We also have the RM saucepan (With frying pan lid) and the kettle fits inside. Worth a look inside yours if you have this too! :D:D:D

Back