Buy all your VW California Accessories at the Club Shop Visit Shop

Any room upstairs

5i1ver8ack

5i1ver8ack

Lifetime VIP Member
Vehicle
T6 Ocean 204 4Motion
Mrs 5i1ver8ack has asked me to find out. I have "searched" but didn't see anything. So I'll have to ask....

When closing the roof (with bed) is there scope to leave anything upstairs at all, or must it just be the mattress? In particular, is it possible to leave a sleeping bag on the mattress and still shut the roof? Thanks.

No, you can't leave anything up there, apart from maybe a couple of pillowcases or something like that.

There has been a lot of discussion on the forum about this. If you try putting anything bulky up there, even a thick duvet, you risk buckling the roof when it closes.

(But just to add: while the pop-up roof is open you certainly can leave stuff on the roof bed when it's swung up into the roof space. Indeed like a lot of people we do that routinely, ie we throw the duvet etc on top of the bed once the pop-top is open for the night and then push up the bed base while we're sitting downstairs. So the bed is then made up ready for when Mrs VD has finished all the red wine).

You must be very carefull. You can only let the bed sheet up there. We do leave both fly screens for the two sliding windows, the two blinds for the driver and co-driver windows and the child safetynet up there. All well shared. Anything else would cause damage to the roof!!!!

Mrs 5i1ver8ack has asked me to find out. I have "searched" but didn't see anything. So I'll have to ask....

When closing the roof (with bed) is there scope to leave anything upstairs at all, or must it just be the mattress? In particular, is it possible to leave a sleeping bag on the mattress and still shut the roof? Thanks.
:welcome

To answer your question, be very, very carefully. Some have closed the roof with a very thin Topper on the upper mattress, but I think a sleeping bag might be pushing it. Also remember that the roof canvas can get wet and folds inward, so anything upstairs, unless waterproof or in a cover, could get wet/damp

If you roll your own you could probably leave the fag papers up there. Otherwise, don't go there. It could end in tears.

In particular, is it possible to leave a sleeping bag on the mattress and still shut the roof?
You have to be careful. We leave sheets on the mattress, and a good quality Siberian goose down 4.5 tog summer duvet with duvet cover, carefully folded in half longways. We unplug the bendy lamp and leave it up there also.

The other reason not to leave anything in the roof is that you might need it and not want to - or be able to put the roof up. We were on the west coast of Scotland for two weeks last year and on a couple of occasions it was so windy we were nervous about raising the roof. (Plus 2 sea kayaks on the roof that we were worried would blow away if not strapped down). So it's useful to be able to sleep downstairs and not need to raise the roof at all. We only leave a sheet up there and carry a spare sheet to use downstairs if required.

Thank you.

All very useful comments.

Back