soulstyledevon

Kennycalifornia
Super Poster
VIP Member
Vehicle
Cali now sold
As per title.
Any surfers around here...?

I’ve surfed for nearly 20 years on and off.
Nothing special, but can get some nice waves when I’m on form.

Yesterday was a cracking day:thumb

8EB1ECC7-E055-4A2C-AFCB-16B1910B6180.jpeg

3D7D311F-FA1F-46C0-998F-E68C64407C81.jpeg

46E4FF73-48D8-4487-BBD1-DC6E2A3D83DF.jpeg

928BAD2C-0A86-4CBD-8C95-12E5B0BA3D65.jpeg

93EDD93B-55CB-4442-9E72-BF6AAD0B9126.jpeg

wish I could say yes. I tried it in bondi . Costa Rica. and Indonesia. nearly bloody killed myself so packed it in. although I did ride a nice wave or 2 all the way in and the feeling was amazing. maybe I'll have another crack one day. thing is I can wake board and snowboard fine. great pics. Nice breakers there

Anything to do with me and water normally results in my near-drowning. Cleaning my teeth can be hazardous enough so surfing is something I keep well clear of :sad

Last edited:
I used to surf in my 20s but living in the south east where surf is unreliable/ non existent makes progress painfully slow. I still have thoughts of retiring to the west country and giving it another go

In the meantime I get my water bourne kicks from windsurfing and SUPing.

Where were those pics taken?

Sent from my Moto G (5) Plus using Tapatalk

wish I could say yes. I tried it in bondi . Costa Rica. and Indonesia. nearly bloody killed myself so packed it in. although I did ride a nice wave or 2 all the way in and the feeling was amazing. maybe I'll have another crack one day. thing is I can wake board and snowboard fine. great pics. Nice breakers there

To be fair Banana, they probably aren’t the easiest waves to learn on.
Costa Rica has been one of my favourite places I’ve visited. Stunning landscape.

Wife got a couple of shots of me surfing at Playa Grande on the Pacific Coast.
Fun times.

BCCA287E-A942-4488-A01B-4666EFC02B94.jpeg

1D325414-BBA2-4631-8CE3-C694A2FD4863.jpeg

I used to surf in my 20s but living in the south east where surf is unreliable/ non existent makes progress painfully slow. I still have thoughts of retiring to the west country and giving it another go

In the meantime I get my water bourne kicks from windsurfing and SUPing.

Where were those pics taken?

They were taken around the Porthcawl area.
It’s a long drive from the south east to south west Robo. There is always the north east coast, not sure if that would be quicker to get to...?

Nice waves in the pic. I used to surf, I grew up in Florida. I did it for about 12 years before I moved away for Uni. We have been in Spain and Portugal for Christmas this year and the waves have just been incredible. It really awakened the old surfer in me. Although I seriously doubt I could do anything like I used to I would probably just get out on a long board or a boogie board at this point.

But either way it does bring back memories of youth watching all the other surfers.

Nice waves in the pic. I used to surf, I grew up in Florida. I did it for about 12 years before I moved away for Uni. We have been in Spain and Portugal for Christmas this year and the waves have just been incredible. It really awakened the old surfer in me. Although I seriously doubt I could do anything like I used to I would probably just get out on a long board or a boogie board at this point.

But either way it does bring back memories of youth watching all the other surfers.

Nothing wrong with a bit of longboarding. I’ve always surfed them.
Get out on anything and enjoy ;-)

Nothing wrong with a bit of longboarding. I’ve always surfed them.
Get out on anything and enjoy ;-)

Agree you don’t have to be good or great + surfing ♂️ to enjoy I’m rekindling my dreams just bought Doris to carry my “foamy board” loving every minute down in Cornwall

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

After a few years of body boarding with the masses “between the flags” I decided to give it a go this year with my 13 year old lad, down in Cornwall.
After 3 days of trials and tribulations during which we were both stung by weaver fish I could just about pop up.
Absolutely loved it though and much more fun than the body board.
Roll on spring.

After a few years of body boarding with the masses “between the flags” I decided to give it a go this year with my 13 year old lad, down in Cornwall.
After 3 days of trials and tribulations during which we were both stung by weaver fish I could just about pop up.
Absolutely loved it though and much more fun than the body board.
Roll on spring.

Ouch.
They can have quite a sting. I’m glad it has put you off. Consider it unlucky.
Must be great sharing the waves with your lad. My son is 2 this Saturday, I’m hoping to get him in with me this summer. Probably get him started on the bodyboard and slowly progress :thumb

Weaver fish give me the eeby jeebies, though I've never encountered one. Picked up some sea urchin spines surfing in Tenerife once and that was bad enough.

Worst I've had in the UK is an ear infection!

Yep, surfer here although living on south east coast I do more kitesurfing and SUP’ing. Got a surf SUP now so that opens up some more options and ups the wavs count! Local spot (wittering) sometimes comes good!

Ouch.
They can have quite a sting. I’m glad it has put you off. Consider it unlucky.
Must be great sharing the waves with your lad. My son is 2 this Saturday, I’m hoping to get him in with me this summer. Probably get him started on the bodyboard and slowly progress :thumb

They really are nasty little blighters.
They don’t seem as common in the busier body board areas which is understandable given I doubt they actually enjoy being trodden on.
My son and me hadn’t mastered paddling out on the surf boards so were walking out into the waves instead which explains why we fell victim.
Will definitely wear footwear next time.

The body boards are great fun. I have a six year old as well and seeing the look of excitement on his face when he rides in on a wave is about as good as it gets as a parent.
Good luck with you little one, years of fun to look forward too.

They really are nasty little blighters.
They don’t seem as common in the busier body board areas which is understandable given I doubt they actually enjoy being trodden on.
My son and me hadn’t mastered paddling out on the surf boards so were walking out into the waves instead which explains why we fell victim.
Will definitely wear footwear next time.

The body boards are great fun. I have a six year old as well and seeing the look of excitement on his face when he rides in on a wave is about as good as it gets as a parent.
Good luck with you little one, years of fun to look forward too.
One of my sons was stung by a weaver fish, water as hot as can be withstood gives quick relief from the intense pain.

One of my sons was stung by a weaver fish, water as hot as can be withstood gives quick relief from the intense pain.

That’s exactly what the lifeguards did for my 13 year old after his encounter.

here's me snow boarding and wake boarding. no surfing shots as explained earlier. hoping to take the van to do both these activities this year.not very high but got some "air'. hurts more lately though.

FB_IMG_1515445226406.jpg

FB_IMG_1515445167209.jpg

Last edited:
I really want to learn to surf but I always seem to go away when the surf is poor. Not a surfer but would love to be one.

Great pictures @soulstyledevon! as some mentioned: I would like to be one however closest surf-experience is snowboarding and stand up paddling

You probably have half the skills to give it a try when your next near the coast Sapto.
I was late getting into skiing. Started in 2013 and instantly got on with it. Tackled some red runs on day 3. I put it down to similar balance skills and being committed to the hill, like you need to commit to taking off on a wave.

Been every year since, usually two trips per season. Love the mountains.
Off to Chamonix again next Saturday (20th). 3rd trip to Cham. Can’t wait.

23075784-C541-4A95-A3C8-81D6FB6591DE.jpeg

Been surfing on and off for over 40 years...grew up in S Wales, minutes from the beach (not far from Porthcawl). Do a lot more windsurfing now, but since my shoulder repair, have done much more surfing again, including 2 trips to France last year (Lacanau area) in the Cali last year. Love it...and look forward to doing much more in a few months when our latest plan comes to fruition...fingers crossed!

Back