• Start date
inthemidnighthour

inthemidnighthour

VIP Member
Vehicle
T6.1 Ocean 199
Hi All

Any tips for cleaning the awning.

opened this weekend for the first time in months and a few leaves have been trapped in there marking the material

has anyone pressure washed it

mnay thanks

dave and lisa :thumb

Pressure washing gets the loose stuff off, but not the marks on the material.

But do not fear - I developed my own method last weekend.

1 - Pressure wash to make it all wet
2 - Mix up a weak solution of flash and warm water.
3 - Use a washing up brush (the ones with the long handle) to scrub the material with flash solution - work in about 1ft squares
4 - rinse with the presure washer
5 - give it a bash to get the worst of the drips off
6 - Leave out to dry

P.S. Using this method will get you very wet!

Tony

awning good as new apart from one mark i couldnt shift
and yes i was totally soaked

thanks dave and lisa :clap

I've recently cleaned our awning. Even when the weather is warm and dry, the awning is usually wet with condensation in the morning, and despite wiping it before rolling it in, it inevitably remains damp, and over time, it becomes discoloured with mould. I used a cleaning product called Dettol Mould and Mildew remover (spray in green plastic bottle). I used it to clean both the underneath and the top. I rubbed it in with a scotchbrite sponge, then after 10 minutes, wiped it with a wet cloth. The top in the centre nearest the vehicle was difficult to access, so I used a squeegee floor mop for that section. It has all come up like new. I'll be doing this every year from now on!

After having to wind in a wet awning it was a few days before the weather was dry to get the awning out to dry it. It was still wet with black spots on the underside. Wiping with a cloth dried it BUT the black spots smeared. Couldn't be cleaned with a wet cloth, soapy water, window cleaner. So I tried ECOVER spray cleaner. Magic, cleaned up nicely as new.
http://uk.ecover.com/en/products/

I've always wondered why the awning goes onto the roll the way it does.

Been a couple of weeks since I rolled ours in but I'm pretty sure it rolls in at the bottom of the roller which means that any leaves on the top surface get rolled up. Surely if it rolled in on the top of the roller then they would fall off under the roll. You could certainly see them as you rolled it in and stop to remove them if they were stuck.

It would also help with cleaning the top. You could do the top in strips as you rolled it in or out.

But anyway, thanks for the timely reminder for me to check ours before the winter.

Last edited by a moderator:
Back