Buy all your VW California Accessories at the Club Shop Visit Shop

Any tips for cleaning discolouration from the chrome grille?

GraemeSmith

GraemeSmith

Vehicle
T6 Ocean 204
My Cal is about 18 months old. I was washing and polishing today and I found some marks on the front grille - see picture. They wouldn't rub out with a sponge, shampoo or even wash leather. I was reluctant to try anything abrasive for obvious reasons and didn't want to rub too hard because the grille is plastic with some chrome paint rather than being old-fashioned chrome. Any recommendations for how to remove marks like this?

They don't seem like stone chips or dead flies, the paint isn't raised or penetrated at all, so it's mainly just discolouration as far as I can make out..

FEEF3CE4-4AE3-4AE8-8080-A944AD1F4B95.JPG

I used some auto glym polish on mine this weekend - did it twice with some elbow grease and it’s not gone completely but it’s s lot better :thumb

I had similar marks on my Mercedes grill badge and removed them with a gentle polish.

My Cal is about 18 months old. I was washing and polishing today and I found some marks on the front grille - see picture. They wouldn't rub out with a sponge, shampoo or even wash leather. I was reluctant to try anything abrasive for obvious reasons and didn't want to rub too hard because the grille is plastic with some chrome paint rather than being old-fashioned chrome. Any recommendations for how to remove marks like this?

They don't seem like stone chips or dead flies, the paint isn't raised or penetrated at all, so it's mainly just discolouration as far as I can make out..

View attachment 63556

It’s probably a dried water mark, I get them on mine, the chrome pack trim on the vans are really poor quality plastic and show up these marks easily, make sure you dry the chrome trim after washing, you could try some mild white vinegar and water mix, failing that a gentle polish, with something like auto glym srp.

Meguiars Deep crystal paint cleaner should do , apply some polish, then wax after use and it should prevent this in future

Back