Buy all your VW California Accessories at the Club Shop Visit Shop

Anyone for tea?

oryx white

oryx white

Travelling hopefully
Lifetime VIP Member
Vehicle
T6 Ocean 204
I've seen long, long threads on coffee making. But anyone got a suggestion for the perfect Cali teapot?

It should be light, unbreakable, space efficient and allow disposal of tea leaves with minimal mess ... and probably make a decent brew.

Come on all you tea drinkers, share the Cali wisdom for a nice cup of Ceylon ...

I've seen long, long threads on coffee making. But anyone got a suggestion for the perfect Cali teapot?

It should be light, unbreakable, space efficient and allow disposal of tea leaves with minimal mess ... and probably make a decent brew.

Come on all you tea drinkers, share the Cali wisdom for a nice cup of Ceylon ...

Listen carefully::::place 250mls of water in a cup. Add on Yorkshire Extra Strong T Bag. Microwave for four minutes or until the water is boiling. Add milk. Stir.....Utter Bliss. Sent this recipe to Mary berry it might appear in her next book.

Sorry all. I should have read the small print and then thought about posting this in Kitchen Equipment.

Listen carefully::::place 250mls of water in a cup. Add on Yorkshire Extra Strong T Bag. Microwave for four minutes or until the water is boiling. Add milk. Stir.....Utter Bliss. Sent this recipe to Mary berry it might appear in her next book.

Err. Microwave. Really?

You got a permanent hookup?

Last edited:

I use a pan, boil some water, take a mug and fill in the hot water. Nothing fancy however I prefer tea because it is easier to make a decent tea than great coffee.

Gesendet von iPad mit Tapatalk

Boil a kettle and pur boiling water over a yorkie gold tea bag.

Now, coffee, that's another thing ....

I have an Outdoor Research Water Bottle Parka (an antique one) and a 1-liter (polycarbonate) Nalgene bottle as an indestructible teapot. And the tea is bought by a local tea & coffee shop which also owns some biological tea plantations. Always with us: Lapsang Souchong, Darjeeling and Jasmine. Just leafs, no nylon bags or any other filtering medium.

I have an Outdoor Research Water Bottle Parka (an antique one) and a 1-liter (polycarbonate) Nalgene bottle as an indestructible teapot. And the tea is bought by a local tea & coffee shop which also owns some biological tea plantations. Always with us: Lapsang Souchong, Darjeeling and Jasmine. Just leafs, no nylon bags or any other filtering medium.

Some say the VW poptop is over engineered as well.
Nope! Sorry I still prefer the Yorkie TBag Microwave method.

Apparently the water should be just off boiling for the best cuppa.

With a mesh filter, one could use the aeropress for tea as well as coffee I would have thought??

With a mesh filter, one could use the aeropress for tea as well as coffee I would have thought??
The fats from the coffee must be removed before using it for tea - so I think it's not a great idea. And I presume you don't use your teapot at home for coffee..?

An old fashioned tea ball (we call it a tea-egg but that is something completely different on your side of the channel) is a better solution for this 'problem'.

We have a lovely stainless steel teapot from the range.. Yorkshire teabags. Water must be boiling, leave to steep for 3-4 mins. Perfect, best served in bone china mugs ( but they don't travel well)

vw tea pot.jpg

It is a dilemma. At home I use japenese glass tea pot with a large fitted basket. Really easy to drop leaves into kitchen recycling pot. Am considering buying a new one and keeping it in its box in the van. I've been using tea bags and they don't taste as good.

Typhoo teabag, boiling water, stire, dump bag, add milk - perfect, just like home!

Whistling kettle on the gas, stainless steel teapot, teabag, tea-cosy, milk in a jug, leave it to stand for a bit, then pour into melamine mugs. I prefer leaf tea at home but am prepared to compromise slightly in the van! Also I fill a flask with boiling water at nighttime ready to put a teabag in in the morning for tea before I get up - just about reachable on the counter from the roof bed.

Tea used to be bagged in paper filter-bags. If the tea was strong enough you could throw the bag 'back to nature'. But times are a changing: nylon bags are sold as 'better' (read: cheaper) and at the same time we are contributing to the plastic soup when drinking tea.
For me these nylon bags got a ban. Leafs to the rescue!

For those that like posh tea, you can make your own teabags. I bought some papers at a posh tea shop in Basel on one of my Cali trips and I just make up my own teabags which then are totally biodegradable and don't mess up
Mugs or tea pots or block the Cali drain in the sink. I'm sure the paper bags must be available in UK or on eBay. Alternatively one can use unbleached coffee filters, put tea leaves (or coffee of course) in then make a bag by tying off with dental floss - Marks and Expensive sell dental floss in very tiny green containers at Uk service stations with an M n S outlet..... come to think of it maybe we need another thread for the 101 uses for dental floss!

Real men use duct tape for dental floss (or everything else dental floss can be used for). :D

Well thanks for all the contributions. I've just found a tea egg (I think the posh name is infuser) int he back of the kitchen drawer and will give this a go.

Back