Buy all your VW California Accessories at the Club Shop Visit Shop

Anyone have a RCD/RNS DAB radio?

Art Vandelay

Art Vandelay

Vehicle
T5 SE 180
Hi Guys,

I'm keen on replaing my standard RCD310 with a DAB RCD/RNS unit.

Just a couple of questions....

Does anyone have an RCD/RNS DAB radio? If so, how is the DAB reception?
Does it work on the existing aerial or would I need a new one installed?

Thanks in advance

Re: Anyone have a RCD/RND DAB radio?

I have DAB in my A4 and we have a new Golf with the RCD510 DAB, very good sound but a slightly different setup to how I envisaged it.

What I mean is that with my DAB in the house I can get a lot more DAB stations than in the car, the DAB in the car still seems to be very regional e.g. I can only get BBC Radio London when I'm near london (quite near in fact).

Yes I think you would need to install a DAB antenna which on a Cali could be tricky as they are in the door mirrors. Maybe you could sort out a 3rd party antenna solution. I know Blaupunkt have an offering.

I've not seen the RNS510 available as DAB yet but VW have announced that DAB is now standard for their vehicles so it may come. Early RNS510 firmwares would show DAB in the hidden engineering menu but I've not checked if it's still there.

Shame about needing to install a new aerial. Not sure I'm bold enough to remove a door mirror!
Time to heed the wife's advice of assessing, after a year, whether DAB, BT & MDI would be worth the £1000+ out lay to install. :cry:

How well does dab work in a vehicle?
I only ask as i have a cheap dab radio for site work and it rarely seems to get a strong signal often none at all.
Maybe it depends what part of the country you're in

It appears to work ok in our Golf and A4 but as I said above, it is regional. It's on a par with FM for signal I guess.

The DAB in our California worked brilliantly - It was a shame I had to loose it to get SatNav.

Where my FM radio retunes a number of times on my commute, DAB didn't have to do that once.

Still I have the DAB aerial there ready for when VW bring out a 510 capable of DAB reception.

Simon

How easy is it to fit the DAB aerial? or is it easier to hide it in the dash somewhere? My normal radio is being effected by my dash cam plus I think the windscreen connector for the radio was damaged during a windscreen replacement so looking at upgrading. Some upgrade radios are available for a few hundred quid but I need the DAB aerial to go somewhere. Any help appreciated

We have RNS 510 with DAB and it's now working brilliantly.
As mentioned the aerials are in the door mirrors but in another vehicle I installed a DAB radio with a tape like aerial fixed to one edge of the windscreen. Very unobtrusive and worked fine.
Also got a DAB radion in my MGB GT. This uses a splitter in the normal aerial and works pretty well so this could be an option for a Cali. Something like this.
https://www.amazon.co.uk/dp/B00RVP2QTU/?tag=eliteelect-21