Buy all your VW California Accessories at the Club Shop Visit Shop

Anyone have the manual for Climatronic controls in 2005 SE?

powysjune

powysjune

VIP Member
Still having trouble working out how to control the heating and aircon in our 2005 California Comfortline/SE (our handbook is in German which I don't understand). On p65 of the VW T5 California SE User manual 2009, which I downloaded from this site, it refers to another booklet called 'Controls and Equipment, section 'Heating and air conditioning system, supplementary heating system' Does anyone have this? Many thanks.

That looks like the right thing Bart, many thanks - but I can't download it from the link. I get this message: The requested URL /manual/js.php was not found on this server. Frustrating!

The comfortline is the same spec in the transporter and caravelle but assume yours is LHD as we didn’t get comfortline in RHD, so you could try searching for that.There are a number of VW ‘special study program’ downloads available which are slightly generic. Is it related to the parking heating or cab heating? If you outline the problem you are having perhaps with a photo of the dash heating controls you have, someone might be able to help without resort to the manual?

Good detective work - yes, it is LHD (one previous owner in Germany). I didn't realise the comfortline wasn't available over here, it's certainly a really good high spec vehicle. I've attached a photo of the dash and the rear passenger heater controls. I think everything is working, it's just that I don't understand how the controls work. Main problem is that it is difficult to get the front cab warm. Even when the temp on the dash is turned up to 24 degrees, it doesn't blow hot through the vents. The rear heating seems to work fine. I had previously set the rear temperature low (16 degrees) to keep the dog cool on the parcel shelf when we were driving in a heatwave. If it was still set at that would it affect the front cab temperature? I also don't really understand how the auto/econ dial works in conjunction with the fan, although I think if the econ light is on it means the air con is off. And advice welcome! Many thanks.

dash heating controls.jpg

rear heating controls.jpg

I'm coming to your aid, hang on.....

I had a 04 plate golf with similar controls. The econ turns the air conditioning on and off. So yes Econ lit means A/C compressor is off but even with it on you should be able to get it warm. Auto controls the temperature and air circulation/fan speed. One problem with that unit used to be that the distribution gears failed or got stuck so air wasn’t sent to the right place. Can you hear the flap motors working and the air flow changing when you change the left dial from the up arrow/face to the down arrow/footwell for example?
They make a fairly obvious motorised/clicking sound if working.
It defaults to blowing air onto the windscreen when you turn it off so on start up it might now be stuck in that position. (You can hear it whirring and clicking when you first turn the engine off)
The rear temperature should be completely independent.
If neither is working that well you could have a problem with the heater matrix or if you have had any work done on the coolant system you could have an air lock.
A few general thoughts. Hope that helps.

Can you explain button #5 to me in a nutshell.

I just randomly press it when i'm bored, haven't got a clue what it does.
Without reading the book, the 'A' relies on the air quality sensor to switch off the fresh air inlet. Press it again to manually shut off the fresh air intake. Now I'll read the book ;)

One is manual recirculation, the other automatic based on air quality. I just found it misted up the front windscreen exactly when I didn’t want it to. I think it is a 3 way toggle. Off/auto/manual

I had a 04 plate golf with similar controls. The econ turns the air conditioning on and off. So yes Econ lit means A/C compressor is off but even with it on you should be able to get it warm. Auto controls the temperature and air circulation/fan speed. One problem with that unit used to be that the distribution gears failed or got stuck so air wasn’t sent to the right place. Can you hear the flap motors working and the air flow changing when you change the left dial from the up arrow/face to the down arrow/footwell for example?
It defaults to blowing air onto the windscreen when you turn it off so on start up it might now be stuck in that position. (You can hear it whirring and clicking when you first turn the engine off)
If neither is working that well you could have a problem with the heater matrix or if you have had any work done on the coolant system you could have an air lock.
Thanks
Many thanks Drpps that's really helpful. I'll check out your suggestions as soon as we are allowed to take the van out again (currently in quarantine after a trip to France).

Back