Buy all your VW California Accessories at the Club Shop Visit Shop

Anyone know where to buy 8mm kador strip (and why 6mm won't fit)?

powysjune

powysjune

VIP Member
We have a 2005 LHD California Comfortline with an awning rail but no wind out awning. Have just bought a Kampa Travel Pod 301 awning but am having problems with the drive away connection. 6mm fittings fall out of the slot on our van which seems to measure 8mm (though everything I've read suggests 6mm is standard for the Cali, so I don't know why ours is bigger). I tried an awning cord adaptor kit from Just Kampers which was described as 9mm but when it arrived today it was 8mm one side and 10mm the other. The 8mm was a good fit for our van rail but 10mm is too big for attaching awnings or covers so I've had to return it. I've drawn a blank searching for 8mm to 6mm online, standard size strips seem to be 6mm to 6mm (or 6mm to 4mm if you are attaching to a wind out awning).

Can anyone help? Many thanks

Not sure but try Jacksons of Old Arley they have several different sizes as we had a problem with ours, very friendly

Thanks for quick responses. The Camperlands website just mentions the standard 6mm and 4mm - Rippers did you mean you bought an 8mm kador strip from there? Can't see anything on the Jacksons site but will email them to enquire.

Have you tried searching for "Awning tape"?
Not everyone calls it Kador
Good luck

Thanks for the advice..7mm from Khyam looks worth a try.

We succumbed to a Khyam Motor Dome at the NEC a couple of weeks back.

We erected it in the garden for the first time today and I slid the Kador strip into the awning to check. The 7mm x 6mm one fits our 2010 awning perfectly. 6mm for the Cali, and 7mm for the tent.

Alan

Hi there, notice in the original posting you mention you've not got the wind out awning. VW do a rubber gutter strip that fits in the awning mounting rail when you don't have the wind out awning. (It's left in place permanently)

Sometimes called a "rubber holding insert"

This has got the normal slot for the Kador beading in its lower edge.

Looks like Banwy or CamperVantastic do them...

http://+++++++++++++++++++++++/uploads/pics/products/a5e572cd60_DSC_1195.JPG

I'll see if I can dig out the part number.

Last edited:
Ah, that rubber holding insert could be the solution...I did wonder why there hadn't been more discussion on the forum about the slot being too big, but my partner pointed out that when we went to a Cali meet last year virtually every other van had the wind-out awning. Fingers crossed maybe that's it...part number would be great if you have it. This is such a helpful forum!

I'm glad to hear I'm not the only one having this problem, from experience (after having the California awning rails fitted to both sides of my van), it seems there primary purpose is to hold a pull out awning.

I then bought the genuine rubber strip from Bawny:
http://www.banwy.co.uk/product/t5-parts/california-parts/awning-rubber-insert-california-awning-rail

However the "C" cup in the rubber section is around 9mm, (where as the standard sizes of "C" cup (to mate your awning with your van) are either 4mm or 6mm, so I had to buy an additional Awning tape / Kador strip, the closest Kador adapter I could get is a 7mm to 6mm from Khyam.

http://www.khyam.co.uk/shop//double-kador-7mm-x-6mm/

This is ok as a temporary measure but is too loose and pulls out in the wind :-(

Does anyone else know of anywhere that manufactures Awning strip / Kador Strip? I really want to get the right size so it doesn't come part in the wind / rain.

image.jpeg

The rail should be 7mm in diameter and then take a 6mm kador.

We sell quite a a few sets of kador to people with out a wind out awning and they always order 6mm x 6mm kador with no problems.

It might also be due to type of awning and how tight to the van you are trying to get it. I like mine to be pulled tight so there is no gap for the pooches to slip out of. As a consequence there is more tension on the kador strip in the channel. So, I also experienced the 7x6mm coming away at the rear end. My kador has a loop on the end and I now use a piece of cord through that and then tie it to one of the inserts you slot int oe rail for fastening the the topper on the other rear side of the van. Maybe a faff but it takes a moment to do and I've not had any issues with the kador coming loose since (and no escaping pooches...)

I have the same problem as the originator of this thread and I've been in touch with Camperlands as suggested by a poster.
They don't make any adapter from a 6mm beading to an 8mm channel. However, the chap says that one workaround is to buy a length of 3/16 water pipe, make a 1mm cur along it, put the beading through the pipe, and run the pipe into the channel.
I haven't done this yet, but I'll let you know what happens.....

I have the same problem as the originator of this thread and I've been in touch with Camperlands as suggested by a poster.
They don't make any adapter from a 6mm beading to an 8mm channel. However, the chap says that one workaround is to buy a length of 3/16 water pipe, make a 1mm cur along it, put the beading through the pipe, and run the pipe into the channel.
I haven't done this yet, but I'll let you know what happens.....
Sounds like a better solution using a reducer..

I'm sure you're right, but I can't find an 8mm to 6mm reducer.

Did anyone ever find a solution for this? We have exactly the same issue with the standard VW tent adapter (obviously made for an 8mm or 8.5mm kador/keder strip) and our Outwell awning (6mm strip).

I'm happy to cut the 6mm strip off and sew an 8mm strip on but I can't find a supplier anywhere.

If we can't find anything by Thursday then I'm going to have to use spinnaker repair tape to increase the diameter of the Outwell 6mm strip until it gets close to 8mm. An expensive and very much temporary solution...

I am assuming you do not have a wind out awning? If so, you need one of these

awning-rail-570x680.jpeg

https://vwcaliforniaclub.com/shop/p...nsert-c-channel-attach-drive-away-awnings-etc

I have just tested our ones that we have in stock and 6mm kador fits perfectly

Kador Strip.jpeg

6mm kador should fit fine, the ones we have in stock are purchased from VW so should be the same as what you have?

Back