Buy all your VW California Accessories at the Club Shop Visit Shop

Anyone Tested The New Brexit/Europe Rules / Been To France Yet

Grumpy Mike

Grumpy Mike

VIP Member
Vehicle
T6 Ocean 150
I travel to Spain starting with Ferry to Dunkirk 1st July. Checked the new rules.... Call me mad but I always carried 3/4 cans of diesel to get me through France. New rule (Or is it) max 10L fuel into France. Emptied 3 into cali...

I carry dog food... for the dog... New rule.. NO meat derived products open, packed.. none.... Out goes the dog biscuits, out goes the dog wet food... Out goes the Fray Bentos pies I like to take to Spain.. Out goes the canned burgers, hotdog sausages etc I always carry just in case..

I like a nice coffee and make it with creamer... NO dairy produce or derivatives.... Out goes the creamer....

But I can take 10L of beer to reduce the impact of the high French beer prices... Phew......

I just don't want to give them a reason... ALSO put one of those large GB stickers on as the numberplate ones are not legal..

Have I missed something?? Perhaps I will also see if I can pre pay my speeding tickets before I leave......

Cant wait.... Just interested how its all being policed.... I just won't risk it..... Ive been OK at the ports in past....

Crit'Air Vignette? about £4 postage & lasts the life of your windscreen.

Big cross of St George flag, to stream from the back of your van when England beat France in the footy final?

Took the ferry to Santander and got pinged at customs in Spain, they were taking all pot plants from vans and cars these all good chucked in a big green wheelie bin. They had a good snoop to see what we had, in our case it was UHT milk and butter (if you call spreadable Lurpac butter) which they confiscated on the grounds of no dairy. Left the beers chilling in the fridge so not all lost. We knew the dairy risk but pushed our luck thinking UHT and spread wouldn’t cause alarm.

I went 3 weeks ago and returned 10 days ago.

I wanted to take food supplies to last our stay, but everything was on the banned list, so I didn't take them - bought what we needed in France en-route. Nobody checked so I could have taken the lot.
We were the only car in the carpark at the tunnel.
We signed a declaration to isolate for 7 days and then take a PCR test.

The worst bit is the cost.... £80 72hrs before departure, Euro 70 72 hrs before return, £180 welome home pack. So for 2 people that's £700 before you start isolating.

Word of warning ....... don't be a chump and drop your phone in the swimming pool. You will be totally reliant on it for your covid test results etc.

Second word of warning .... if you do happen to drop your phone in the swimming pool, then DO NOT drop your back-up phone in the swimming pool.... you will be completely stuffed !!

Took the ferry to Santander and got pinged at customs in Spain, they were taking all pot plants from vans and cars these all good chucked in a big green wheelie bin. They had a good snoop to see what we had, in our case it was UHT milk and butter (if you call spreadable Lurpac butter) which they confiscated on the grounds of no dairy. Left the beers chilling in the fridge so not all lost. We knew the dairy risk but pushed our luck thinking UHT and spread wouldn’t cause alarm.
Suppose at least you were not fined.... But thanks for letting us know... I will continue un packing...

I wanted to take food supplies to last our stay, but everything was on the banned list, so I didn't take them - bought what we needed in France en-route. Nobody checked so I could have taken the lot.

The worst bit is the cost.... £80 72hrs before departure, Euro 70 72 hrs before return, £180 welome home pack. So for 2 people that's £700 before you start isolating.

Word of warning ....... don't be a chump and drop your phone in the swimming pool. You will be totally reliant on it for your covid test results etc.

Second word of warning .... if you do happen to drop your phone in the swimming pool, then DO NOT drop your back-up phone in the swimming pool.... you will be completely stuffed !!
Im kind of hoping that they might knock some of them tests on the head before I return......

Where did you get your test done prior to returning? Is there a website for locations?

Crit'Air Vignette? about £4 postage & lasts the life of your windscreen.

Big cross of St George flag, to stream from the back of your van when England beat France in the footy final?
Got the Air thing..... You must collect fines like me .... I escaped them on my last return trip....

I would rather it was England vs Spain.... that would be amazing... Hope we are still in it when I get over there.. It just adds to the fun...

I looked into getting antigen tests yesterday and the local (private) hossie does them for 35euro. Who's marking them up to 80 pounds?

don't forget green card for insurance

also need either photo driving license or international permit if you are on old paper license.

My partner Flew to Paris this week to see long missed Grandchildren- allowed because France decided to allow travel based on proof of Double Vaccination
NO ONE on either side of the Channel asked to see any information regarding vaccinations!

Where did you get your test done prior to returning? Is there a website for locations?
List below: no prices though even if you Google the provider

Yes @Johnboy please tell us about your return tests e.g. where, how quickly did you get the results and presumably they were emailed to your (wet) phone?

List below: no prices though even if you Google the provider

Yes @Johnboy please tell us about your return tests e.g. where, how quickly did you get the results and presumably they were emailed to your (wet) phone?

When I was researching I found 54 Euros quoted for walk in test but couldn't get details if appointment needed or if wait for results. Seemed to indicate 30 min wait.

I'm hoping that the Self Test process trial by the UK will lead to that being used to eliminate costs etc.
Gove was part of the trial after his Portugal trip.

I went to the nearest test center to us. There was some confusion as to whether we would be charged, and in the end it was Euro 70. The results came through quickly.

Tests are run by different companies, so there may be price differences. My nose still hurts from the French swabbing operation....

You have to log on to the appropriate website and register, then the results are posted to your account. So you need to log on to retrieve results.
I didn't have phone or printer, but I did have a laptop which I hadn't immersed in the pool and also a nephew who had a phone... so I managed in the end.

On the return to the UK I had the covid police checking on me regularly for the 10 day isolation.

By the way, my covid documentation was inspected both ways at the border.

No requirement for vaccination card. Only the negative PCR tests within 72 hrs of crossing (both ways) plus a fit to fly certificate. Also declaration that you will self isolate for 7 days in France at the address specified (but no one check on this bit).
I also needed to sign a waiver as i would be breaking the curfew times. This may have been lifted now.

The rules will change as the situation changes.

Back