• Thread starter inthemidnighthour
  • Start date
inthemidnighthour

inthemidnighthour

VIP Member
Vehicle
T6.1 Ocean 199
Hi All

We are looking into replacing our Cali for a T6 Cali and wondered if anyone has traded their old one in at a VW main dealers as we like things hassle free !

Has it been easy to sell privately on the forum ?

all comments gratefully received

Dave and Lisa

Usually a dealer will give you a trade in price for "today" but will try and put a caveat in place about mileage restrictions and condition for the future. Assuming they can't give an accurate delivery date this may be hard for them to give you a decent offer so many months ahead, so will probably try to low ball the price. However you could use this to your advantage and offer the vehicle up for sale on this forum for a minimal sum and someone here could get a decent van at a significantly cheaper price than the dealers forecourt price, and you get a £1,000 or so more for the price of your advert and a little hassle!
I for one could be very tempted, do drop me a PM at the appropriate time.

Now I posted a while ago looking for a 180 DSG. So far prices of used ones are pushing me towards a new T6.

Care to PM me with spec/price?

We tried to trade in our Toyota Granvia at the dealer and they offerred us the value of an old van with no conversion. 1/10 th of the actual value!
I know it's different but if they don't want it the only one to loose out will be you.

We traded our Cali in when we got our ex demo van earlier this year. The dealer was falling over themselves to do the deal. 4 Motion 180 with 18k on the clock. We undoubtedly could have got more selling privately but would have had the hassle of insuring two vans, the inevitable trye kickers and explaining about the roof corrosion. The dealer obviously knew about the roof problems and as the van was already on the list wasn't concerned about it. We got an excellent deal on the new van with 21miles on the clock so decided to go with the dealer trade in.

I would most certainly advertise your vehicle on this forum.

I recently sold my vehicle through an advert placed on this forum with five enquiries within the first few days an even a VW Dealer in America (greeleyvolkswagen.com) looking to ship the vehicle to Colorado.

I sold my vehicle to the first viewing with ease due to people knowing exactly what they were looking for from being part of this forum.

We also sold our previous van privately on here, we sold it within 24 hours without being seen and got £4,500 more than what the dealer offered.

Worth the hassle !

Sold mine on here in 10 minutes even had people offering above my asking price amazing

We know how hopeless most vw commercial dealers are. I suspect this will mean you will get a ridiculous 'Parkers guide' based offer, but there is always a chance they'll overshoot the other way. I'd work out the real value, see what the dealer offers, then probably sell it on line privately.

In process of putting in an order for new T6 Cali. Dealer has offered us £27000 for 2012 Cali SE 180 with 18000 on the clock. I hope I can get more privately! Indeed the dealer is basically suggesting that is exactly what I should do.

the prices vary a lot- been looking a while and that sounds like Parkers price - which is book price and is correct BUT you then have scene TAX which adds approx £10,000 above Parkers price. I have seen vans nearly ten years old with small and large mileage for only £6,000 less than paid for new? ! thats doesn't allow for extras etc...........doesn't stack up/ unrealistic in my opinion. Anything will sell for right price- seen vans for sale for over 6months. Seller is either not in a hurry or no idea over priced it. the second hand market gonna bottom out as better to always buy new with such high second hand values :( crazy ...... best of luck with your sell and new purchase :)

the prices vary a lot- been looking a while and that sounds like Parkers price - which is book price and is correct BUT you then have scene TAX which adds approx £10,000 above Parkers price. I have seen vans nearly ten years old with small and large mileage for only £6,000 less than paid for new? ! thats doesn't allow for extras etc...........doesn't stack up/ unrealistic in my opinion. Anything will sell for right price- seen vans for sale for over 6months. Seller is either not in a hurry or no idea over priced it. the second hand market gonna bottom out as better to always buy new with such high second hand values :( crazy ...... best of luck with your sell and new purchase :)

I have know idea how Parkers price still exists ?? it's never been relevant to any second hand market and is always miles away from reality!!

what do the trade use now then as a guide it was always Parkers and Glasses guides? maybe like Zoopla and house prices as that is always off beam. As ever only worth what someone will pay which applies to anything, not just VW :)

I traded in my Alfa Brera for my Cali they gave a pretty good PEx but then it was a rare car.

I just ordered a new Cali to replace my Black Jun 13 140 BMT manual. Delivery estimate is March 2016 and the trade in offers by the dealer in Exeter was way low, he suggested I should sell privately. The difficulty is timing as I don't want to get a second car in between.

Last edited by a moderator:
Hi all used price have been extremely high throughout the summer months due to the demand
I have decided to buy a California my self and after having over 20 years of experience with Vw vans & campers and working in the motor trade a vehicle is worth as much as you can get for it.
But now summers gone the used ones for sale people are still hoping to get summer prices there does seems to be ex demos and pre registered vehicles available from the dealers for similar money to the vehicles for sale that are two and three years old and the dealers are reducing dramatically with deliveries of the T6 due around December / January
As the demand drops throughout the winter months and the new model due the used will have to follow suit.
I do agree parkers is off the mark with the figures but however the vans are not realistically worth 5 or 6 grand over book neither
They do however have great resale value but
until the figures become more realistic I will be hanging on with the purchase.

Probably best hanging on to your van for now. Shouldn't be much of a hardship having to put up with the old jalopy! :D

A long shot, but like sidepod I am looking for a 2014/15 T5 180 DSG SE. Close to completing a deal with a dealer for a pre-reg, but would be interested in any alternatives. Please drop me a PM.

Back