Buy all your VW California Accessories at the Club Shop Visit Shop

Anyone use a wood burner?

We have just had one installed to replace our open fire

There have also been studies that reveal the amount of deadly pollution emitted by cooking, gas hobs/ovens, gas boilers and of course open fires. They also have pointed out the biological harm caused by pet hair, microscopic skin particles and the poo of various dust mites.
How we all survive is a mystery, now where are those Bristol councillors, we need to ban things pronto.

There have also been studies that reveal the amount of deadly pollution emitted by cooking, gas hobs/ovens, gas boilers and of course open fires. They also have pointed out the biological harm caused by pet hair, microscopic skin particles and the poo of various dust mites.
How we all survive is a mystery, now where are those Bristol councillors, we need to ban things pronto.
I guess we don't all survive as a lot of diseases are caused by above , some people are lucky , others are not

We have been using a multi fuel heater for the past 20 years. Why? Because the choices where we live in Wales are very limited. Oil, LPG, Wood and coal. No natural gas or any hope of it. I dare say in 20 years it will be Electric only but I don’t need to worry about that.Where we live houses are 100 yards apart so it’s not like the 1950s smog in cities where everyone had a coal fire.

We have had a wood burner for 40 years, all in excellent health - fingers crossed. We have an 1830s property, so well before damp proof courses. And injected ones do not work - do not believe surveyors! So we need the burner to heat and keep the house walls dry. I don't believe this study. If it was right there would be piles of dust settling on furniture surfaces as we use ours every day. Dust levels are no worse than other houses with all electric heating.

From the article it seems you get particles in the air when you open the door of the stove - they are drawn into the room. If you have an open fire you get the particles all the time. You need a good chimney and a snorkel as you watch TV in future.

The snorkel won't be much use but your ridiculous appearance will take everyone else's mind off the pollution!

From the article it seems you get particles in the air when you open the door of the stove - they are drawn into the room. If you have an open fire you get the particles all the time. You need a good chimney and a snorkel as you watch TV in future.

The snorkel won't be much use but your ridiculous appearance will take everyone else's mind off the pollution!
Might repurpose my Cali heater snorkel :)

Actually when i open the door of my wood burner it draws air in from the room rather than the other way round. Must be something to do with hot air rising and the ‘draw’ of the chimney :) :)

I agree that you do get slightly more dust with a wood burner/ multifuel stove but when it comes down to it what choice do many people have? Wood ash is quite dusty compared to coal we find..Anyway I’m going to have to be dragged away kicking and screaming before I get rid of it..

Makes me wonder about the aux heater emission effects on surrounding campers and environment.
had a look but couldn't find much information on the emission from diesel heaters.

Much less pollution for sure than the running the vehicle engine to keep warm or defrost the van/car as seems common here at least.

Makes me wonder about the aux heater emission effects on surrounding campers and environment.
had a look but couldn't find much information on the emission from diesel heaters.

Much less pollution for sure than the running the vehicle engine to keep warm or defrost the van/car as seems common here at least.
It’s a different “kind” of combustion compared to a diesel combustion engine. The diesel is burnt at ambient pressure rather than exploded at high pressure.

This report is yet another from the "nanny state brigade". If you stick your fingers into a 13amp socket one will probably die. Better ban electricity! While we are at it ban water as well - one can drown!

It’s a different “kind” of combustion compared to a diesel combustion engine. The diesel is burnt at ambient pressure rather than exploded at high pressure.
I understand the combustion methods just wondered if anyone had come across any papers or information on the emissions. Maybe they will be similar to domestic oil boilers as the method is similar.

I understand that wood burning stoves are banned in most inner city areas as there’s obviously serious health problems if everyone in a street of terraced houses had one, but not when your neighbour is in a different postcode.

This report is yet another from the "nanny state brigade". If you stick your fingers into a 13amp socket one will probably die. Better ban electricity! While we are at it ban water as well - one can drown!
Nothing nanny state about helping people to make an informed choice (if you have a choice) how to heat your home. No suggestion of a ban in the article.

I understand the combustion methods just wondered if anyone had come across any papers or information on the emissions. Maybe they will be similar to domestic oil boilers as the method is similar.
This is all I can find from Eberspacher
Screenshot 2020-12-19 at 13.49.04.jpg

Now I have read the post I understand when I read the title I thought I was going to see a new cali extra.

We have a woodburner. It would be the last thing to go. We'd both sacrifice a child to keep it.... probably.

What I'd like to ban are all the inane studies carried out that state the blinding obvious. If not careful we'll all be cowering in cotton wool cocoons woven by unaccountable quangos wondering why life is barely worth living anymore and held hostage by immune systems desensitised

Now I have read the post I understand when I read the title I thought I was going to see a new cali extra.
My thought also went to "anyone use a wood burner? ... in a Cali - and I expected a new accessory that someone with time on their hands may have come up with

Sent from my Pixel 2 XL using Tapatalk

This is all I can find from Eberspacher
View attachment 70820
be nice addition, if the cali doesn't already have them ?.
However as the mount of fuel used is small I guess the impact can be lessened by another putting another jumper on and more insulation such as on the screen, roof etc so as to reduce the heat loss and heater usage.
Always a little disappointed at how much heat is lost, notable recently with 4C ambient outside and the heater was on low constantly running ( setting 2-3) to keep a minimum temperature of 16C to work.
We don't run the heater at night and only on program for a boast early hours if very cold.
I wondered about internal or external siding window insulation similar to the front screen cover to reduce heat loss ? Anyone use side window insulation ?

Obviously we don't use it IN the Cali but often take one of these camping. Cosy. Plus you can make a cuppa on it whilst warming your toes. We've cooked an entire fry-up on it before whilst huddling round it.

Attachments

• Frontier_Side_On_1080x.jpg
    Frontier_Side_On_1080x.jpg
    45.1 KB · Views: 19
Back