Buy all your VW California Accessories at the Club Shop Visit Shop

Anyone using a gas regulator with a gauge?

C

camper-x

Vehicle
T5 SE 174
Hi all. I've noticed that the gas regulator and hose are slightly overdue replacement. I have the original bottle I believe, screw in type Camping Gaz 3.2Kg, Rather than swap like for like I thought a regulator with a gauge would be better. Has anyone managed to find such a thing? I see lots of kits for push on type, but nothing for the screw in version.

Hi all. I've noticed that the gas regulator and hose are slightly overdue replacement. I have the original bottle I believe, screw in type Camping Gaz 3.2Kg, Rather than swap like for like I thought a regulator with a gauge would be better. Has anyone managed to find such a thing? I see lots of kits for push on type, but nothing for the screw in version.
These cylinders contain Liquid Gas, Butane, which only converts to a vapour if the temperature is above -1c and the pressure in the cylinder drops below the Regulator pressure.
Therefore the pressure in the Cylinder will stay constant until the last of the liquid Gas has converted. A gauge will therefore be of no use whatsoever as it will show a constant pressure until all the liquid has converted to gas and then it will drop. So if you were using the gas burner and watching the gauge you would get about 30 secs warning and would realise the cylinder was empty just as the flame died.

A gauge would only be of use to ensure the Regulator was working at the correct pressure.

Each cylinder should have the weights of the empty cylinder and a full cylinder, or the weight of the Liquid Butane .
The only accurate way is to weigh the cylinder and subtract the Empty Cylinder weight.

How does the gauge work on a callor lite bottle then? I know they are pretty inaccurate but they do give a rough guide as to how much is left.

Ive used a motor home with gauges and auto switchover before.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

How does the gauge work on a callor lite bottle then? I know they are pretty inaccurate but they do give a rough guide as to how much is left.
If they are like the propane bottles on lpg forklifts they have an internal float that measures the liquid propane and transfers the reading mechanical and or magnetics to the gauge

It is a mechanical float type gauge that is not very accurate.