Buy all your VW California Accessories at the Club Shop Visit Shop

App connect / car play - needs a “part”? !

Crell

Crell

Vehicle
T6 Beach 150
I’ve just been told by the dealer service department that they need a part in order to get App Connect working and it’s 199.99 + VAT on my 2017 Cali.

I have the Discover Nav and was originally told all I needed was a code whenI bought it.

It’s all a bit vague for my liking but has anyone else been told this or can you shed any light on what the part might be?

at that price it sounds like the activation key unless you have no USB socket in either the small cubby by the gear lever or the top glove box?

Thanks @Loz . As far as i know my head unit just needs the activation key...but I'd been told that was about £100 and not £240. That just got me wondering.

I have USB in the glove box, so it could turn out to be a very expensive USB stick if all it's providing is the software key (on a USB stick). That's assuming the price I was told for the key at the time of purchase was correct.

Has anyone else been quoted for activation?

I was also quoted £240 but they got it down to about £215 with a discount. I still cant get Carplay to work as when I enter my details on their website it says
Vehicle could not be added The VIN you entered may belong to a vehicle for which the Car-Net Services cannot be used !! I have since given up

I was also quoted £240 but they got it down to about £215 with a discount. I still cant get Carplay to work as when I enter my details on their website it says
Vehicle could not be added The VIN you entered may belong to a vehicle for which the Car-Net Services cannot be used !! I have since given up
Carplay (iphone connected) and Car-net (needs vw 3G stick) are 2 different things..

I went to my dealer this week with the CarPlay activation key part number - they looked it up, quoted me 209 euros but said they wouldn’t order it as they had no idea what to do with it when the code arrived....

I’ve had car play activated by dealer yesterday at a cost £218. T6 Ocean 66 plate, discover media 6.33” +DAB infotainment unit..

Thats good to know, perhaps I'll try a different dealer!!!

Think the product code is 7H0.054.830 - should be helpful. I had to do a lot of enquiring before VWCS contacted dealer and they worked out what I needed..so wasn’t straight forward. Dealer did 2 recalls 23U8 ( quality improvement measure) & 213G ( W- oil supply line) ??

@Bentley do you know if they had to order a part ( a USB stick with the license key) or did they get it online?

I’ve just been told that the “software” is on back order. As someone who works in the area I doubt that very much! More likely the USB stick with the software is on back order but if it’s possible to download the key as per the link above I can provide a USB stick!

I can’t beleive how difficult this seems to be.

Who was your dealer ?

Last edited:
Could someone explain why do you need this code or need a usb stick when you can connect your phone to via USB and use Apple car play and car play seems to work and provide weather , and lots of information if I am incorrect can any tell me why do I have to get a code at a cos to me , on checking it says my licence is valid until 2020
the USB stick is a means to get your vehicle connected to the internet very expensive stick

If you can screen mirror your IOS or android phone on your head unit we’re talking about the same thing. Otherwise I think you’re referring to the ( junk) Car Net capability offered by VW?

Car play is an option at purchase - you may already have it specified

A software license is a software license. They can charge what they want for it.
It looks like the license is -200 GBP or 200EUR irrespective of whether they ship the key on a USB stick to a d alert or you download a key online which seems to be an option in Germany at least.

Thanks
I can mirror my IPhone and all works fine also I have car net works as it tells me local garages and weather but must admit no much use

Nothing to do with USB stick, just software update , empty DVD box with Activation documents which include
1. Activation code
2. Activation number
3 Pin code
My dealer VW Clark’s commercial
Dundee branch. Parts department
Alan was the guy who sorted..

@John Guppy then you’re one of the lucky ones :)

@Bentley thanks for clearing that up! I might try the German website tonight otherwise I guess I have to join a back order queue for a computer generated/ managed code to arrive in a dvd case :(

Mine took 2 days to arrive, and was scheduled to install 4 days later.. It’s no more than a 40 min job I was told. Dealership was more keen to update other issues with the vehicle..

I have just checked and it seems I have reg. car net
7 digit number
and service number 7 letters and numbers but not sure where I got them from
but never paid anything

Back