Buy all your VW California Accessories at the Club Shop Visit Shop

App Connect question (Phone Apps)

Smiffy4bikes

Smiffy4bikes

VIP Member
Vehicle
T6 Ocean 204
Can anyone help please?

Either I’m being a complete muppet and missing the obvious or I’ve misunderstood my options...

I have the Composition Media DAB+Radio system, and specified App Connect as an option in my T6 Cali.

I didn’t go for the Discover Media Sat Nav system as I was under the impression that if I specified App Connect I would be able to access the sat nav on my phone through the Composition Media system.

I plug my phone in (iPhone 5C) using the usb port and associated cable, and that all works ok, insofar as I can take/make calls etc, but I cant seem to access my apps on the phone.

Is this because I don’t have the Car Net option?

Thanks in advance....:thumb

Have you switched on Carplay on your phone? I assume it's compatible with your phone but not sure about that.

Also, note that only a few apps work. E.g. Only Apple Maps for map related stuff

I too have exactly the same and can't get it to work. Phone is android LG G4 ive had 2 years so know it well but hours later it still only connects the music, contacts etc etc but not google maps which is what i need :/

Have you switched on Carplay on your phone? I assume it's compatible with your phone but not sure about that.

Also, note that only a few apps work. E.g. Only Apple Maps for map related stuff

Not sure about the Carplay on the phone, don’t think I have that. I’ll be a bit miffed to be honest if I can't access Sat Nav via the phone.. confused.com!

Not sure about the Carplay on the phone, don’t think I have that. I’ll be a bit miffed to be honest if I can't access Sat Nav via the phone.. confused.com!
What sort of phone do you have?

Mike

Iphone 5c should be compatible (according to Google). To switch it on go to Settings - General - Carplay. It's about the 5th item down.

I assume your iphone software is up to date?

OK - there are a few things you have to do to get this working. First of all, as Mike asked, what sort of phone do you have? Carplay is an Apple proprietary solution that only works with iPhones. However AppConnect also supports the Andoid equivalent - Android Auto. I can only comment upon Carplay.

Like you I didn't purchase Sat Nav as I want to use my phone.

Firstly you must plug your phone in using USB to USB1 - which is the one in the small cubby hole in the centre of the dash above the 12V socket. It won't work in USB2.

Carplay needs to be enabled on both the Cali and the iPhone. To acces sit on the Cali press the Menu Button (bottom right) Then scroll through the options and select CarPlay.

If your iphone is pre-IOS9 then you need to download the CarPlay app from the app store and ru it. If IOS9 or 10 then I think it is automatic. There is an options in settings - general - carplay. You should see a list of Apps and 'Volkswagen' should be listed below under my cars if you have connected successfully.

When working you will get a carplay screen displayed on the Composition Media system. This displays the apps available. The only navigation option currently available is Apple maps. I'd prefer Waze but maps is adequate.

I too have exactly the same and can't get it to work. Phone is android LG G4 ive had 2 years so know it well but hours later it still only connects the music, contacts etc etc but not google maps which is what i need :/
Do you have Android Auto installed on your phone?

Sent from my MotoE2(4G-LTE) using Tapatalk

Said this on several threads before, my Android phone connects and works from both USBs.

Make sure you have a data capable cable, some USB cables are charge only, rare but possible.

OK - there are a few things you have to do to get this working. First of all, as Mike asked, what sort of phone do you have? Carplay is an Apple proprietary solution that only works with iPhones. However AppConnect also supports the Andoid equivalent - Android Auto. I can only comment upon Carplay.

Firstly you must plug your phone in using USB to USB1 - which is the one in the small cubby hole in the centre of the dash above the 12V socket. It won't work in USB2.

Carplay needs to be enabled on both the Cali and the iPhone. To acces sit on the Cali press the Menu Button (bottom right) Then scroll through the options and select CarPlay.

If your iphone is pre-IOS9 then you need to download the CarPlay app from the app store and ru it. If IOS9 or 10 then I think it is automatic. There is an options in settings - general - carplay. You should see a list of Apps and 'Volkswagen' should be listed below under my cars if you have connected successfully.

When working you will get a carplay screen displayed on the Composition Media system. This displays the apps available. The only navigation option currently available is Apple maps. I'd prefer Waze but maps is adequate.

Thank you DM, very informative :thumb I have an iPhone 5c. I had been using the USB1 socket, (which works perfectly when I use my iPod mini) so I shall swap to the USB2 for the phone, and see what that does. I shall have another play around with it today if I get time.

I must admit I haven’t updated my phone in ages as the last time I did it I lost all my contacts and photos :( so I've been a bit reluctant to upgrade to the latest IOS.

Thank you also to all the other helpful posts, I’m glad I’m not the only one having this issue!

Iphone 5c should be compatible (according to Google). To switch it on go to Settings - General - Carplay. It's about the 5th item down.

I assume your iphone software is up to date?

Thanks Rupes. My 5c hasn’t been updated for a while, I’m reluctant to do it in case I lose all my contacts etc, as it happened to me once before...! I may just have to bite the bullet :Depressed

Thanks Rupes. My 5c hasn’t been updated for a while, I’m reluctant to do it in case I lose all my contacts etc, as it happened to me once before...! I may just have to bite the bullet :Depressed

Hi

Turn on iClould backup. This is done in the iCloud settings on your iPhone and click backup. This way if the update should go wrong you will have all your data.

Said this on several threads before, my Android phone connects and works from both USBs.
And indeed, if you put two phones in it recognises both in parallel.

Very nifty if you want use one for maps / Spotify on a roaming SIM, while retaining your normal phone number for people calling you. Have to say that I was impressed by that, a function we will be using a lot.

Agree with Blubus - the backup works very well and is essential if doing any software upgrades. You can backup to icloud or to a computer. It is then possible to restore all your data to your updated phone (if necessary) or even to a completely clean phone.

You could always go into an Apple store and see if they'll do it for you. Although that can be a bit of an ordeal too!

Good luck.

Do you have Android Auto installed on your phone?

Sent from my MotoE2(4G-LTE) using Tapatalk
I do indeed, everything is up to date, followed all the instructions (including the age old switch it off and turn it on again!) still doesn't want to connect anything useful :/

To help avoid confusion for anyone who has the same layout me, our USB for CarPlay isn't in the small cubby hole but in the upper glove box. That caused me a moment of alarm when I got the Cali as I thought they'd forgotten to install the USB port and, like others, I use CarPlay not sat nav! I find it works really well.

To help avoid confusion for anyone who has the same layout me, our USB for CarPlay isn't in the small cubby hole but in the upper glove box. That caused me a moment of alarm when I got the Cali as I thought they'd forgotten to install the USB port and, like others, I use CarPlay not sat nav! I find it works really well.

So you are saying you only have a single Usb?

Yes that's right. It's a model year 2017 Ocean. We borrowed a 2016 demo vehicle and the USB was in the cubby so we were very confused. The handbook does show the USB as located in the upper glove box. There's a blanking plate where the USB in the cubby is in other vehicles.

Yes that's right. It's a model year 2017 Ocean. We borrowed a 2016 demo vehicle and the USB was in the cubby so we were very confused. The handbook does show the USB as located in the upper glove box. There's a blanking plate where the USB in the cubby is in other vehicles.

Ah OK, we paid for the extra one in the center dash.