Buy all your VW California Accessories at the Club Shop Visit Shop

Are all Cali owners old farts or geeks?

VW Cali

VW Cali

Guest User
Vehicle
T6 Beach 150
Before people jump on me, above was response I got when I said that instead of luxury 4x4 SUV I was going California way...

Response:

"Dude, driven only by old farts or geeks."

Me:

" I guess I am bit of both then!"

Which made me wonder about the general age group. Plus of course where I fit in. Ideally of course I should have bought it 7 years ago. I did notice that my duathlon world champion personal trainer had acquired one 3 years ago, and I made fun of him non stop!

Never tempt fate they say.

At any rate his cars didn't last long, but restless fellow that he was his cars would only last a few months before he changed ho something else. So I only ever saw it once or twice.

So here I am now, possibly old fart, and possibly geek, and possibly both.

Unlike old farts I am useless with DIY, and do not even attempt it (much to the annoyance of partner who regards this as most non masculine trait). I pay gardeners rather than take the mower or strimmer out. My clothes are washed, ironed and arranged by our help.

For an old fart, I can still do 10 proper chin ups, and easily lift 110kg. On a fast 10 mile hike in Surrey I noticed everyone else was huffing and puffing, when I felt it was like a gentle stroll in the park.

My idea of heaven is hiking or out in nature, finallly getting to think my thoughts or read the 200 plus books I have downloaded on Kindle in the past 2 years or so. All partially started, all rather good, and none finished. Or maybe Stiglitz on Inequality was finished. But too old now to remember....

Again, I fear I will be the odd man out amongst Cali owners. You are dog loved types, and I haven't had once since 15. You are DIY types, and my idea of DIY is to think about whether a quantum computer computer will ever be feasible, or why people cannot see the obvuous flaws in the supposed theory of evolution....

So I guess, I have proved it now. I am old fart, a geeky one too, and pretty useless and non earthy type.

And VW have agreed to sell me one, and you guys will have to bear with me for a while. You DIY types who so put me to shame!

Ba*****s!

Yep a geek.....Cali-geek it is!

I'm a Cali owner. I'm old - comparatively. Obviously I do not admit to farting, well, not in public at least.

However Albert keeps me young. We go off to places where in no other vehicle I would dream of going: remote, off tarmac, needing an overnight stay with nothing else around.

We go off on running meets although being terribly old that now often means uncompetitive events like Great runs and Race for life's (a personal mission)...

We go to fancy dinner engagements although Albert, not having a DJ, has to stay in a car park but whether I am speaking or just enjoying the event he's a great welcome home, a lot better than kicking my heels off in a sterile hotel room.

We go shopping together, normally 500 mile round trips to the vineyards, a lot better than going to the supermarket to buy a bottle of blue nun for sipping genteely at the whist club. I could of course do that in a terribly nice and posh Range Rover but where's the fun in going back to the local Ibis when I can sleep "on the premises", often waking up to glorious views?

We can of course exercise complete spontaneity, set off and half way to wherever we were going change our minds and go somewhere else, but then that's being old when I suppose being young is jetting off to a Sandals-type resort somewhere to be incarcerated for the next two weeks in a high rise concrete hell full of fat old farts enjoying their 15th buffet lunch of the day.

Yes, I can think of many other real give-aways to being a BOF when driving a Cali,....

Goodness, now where did I leave my wellies? Time to pop off to a music festival somewhere, pop on my mini skirt and beaded headband and be a born-again hippie for a few days ....

Yep a geek.....Cali-geek it is!

18 till I die is my motto too!

When you throw a cricket ball from the outfield so flat that wicket keeper begs you to put an arc on it.

When sight of you makes batsmen ask for helmets...

When you wear nothing but sun hat yourself and point to your forehead to make opposing fast bowler bounce you which you then hit into the Oval square leg stands.

When tennis aces fly off your racquet with no effort. But when you think its a game for softies because no physical danger is involved.

When you don't buy cars..

Wait, did all above really happen, or usual old fart dreams and stories of "I was so great when young!"

Hmm...dear oh dear.

I'm a Cali owner. I'm old - comparatively. Obviously I do not admit to farting, well, not in public at least.

However Albert keeps me young. We go off to places where in no other vehicle I would dream of going: remote, off tarmac, needing an overnight stay with nothing else around.

We go off on running meets although being terribly old that now often means uncompetitive events like Great runs and Race for life's (a personal mission)...

We go to fancy dinner engagements although Albert, not having a DJ, has to stay in a car park but whether I am speaking or just enjoying the event he's a great welcome home, a lot better than kicking my heels off in a sterile hotel room.

We go shopping together, normally 500 mile round trips to the vineyards, a lot better than going to the supermarket to buy a bottle of blue nun for sipping genteely at the whist club. I could of course do that in a terribly nice and posh Range Rover but where's the fun in going back to the local Ibis when I can sleep "on the premises", often waking up to glorious views?

We can of course exercise complete spontaneity, set off and half way to wherever we were going change our minds and go somewhere else, but then that's being old when I suppose being young is jetting off to a Sandals-type resort somewhere to be incarcerated for the next two weeks in a high rise concrete hell full of fat old farts enjoying their 15th buffet lunch of the day.

Yes, I can think of many other real give-aways to being a BOF when driving a Cali,....

Goodness, now where did I leave my wellies? Time to pop off to a music festival somewhere, pop on my mini skirt and beaded headband and be a born-again hippie for a few days ....

Now that's what I call a post!

Yes, incarcerated is right description for so many holidays. And indeed it is "wanderlust" that has made me pay the deposit on the Cali.

GJ, you have an advantage over us blokes. Nkne of us could ever contemplate putting on mini skirts and beads and being hippy chicks! None I know anyway....

But if you know any, or are playing the part, do let us know.

Hippie chicks used to be must have accessory for Calis....

Too busy when I was younger and with 5 kids the Campervan lifestyle didn't strike a cord, but now they have all left home and are married its me time. Had numerous exotic cars and Land Rover Defenders but now I have my own VW Campervan that SWMBO is allowed to share. Averaging more miles / year than any of my other vehicles but also visiting more places.

I am 41... I couldn't have afforded a Cali when I was younger, simple as... most are probably older because anyone younger probably needs a house first ;)
41 is not old. I'm 42 ;)

43 when we got it, 45 now. They are pretty exxy, I'm sure that's a factor, it gets generates a lot of envy in friends and strangers from late teens up.

I'm more nerdy that's geeky!

Oh dear.

So obvious that there are daft individuals lile me who reached the conclusion 30 years ago that economic theories, practise of democracy, and theory of evolution all were largely unthinking dogna perpetuated by half awake types. Dogma then handed down as gospel truth to unquestioning masses....

How did we get on to this on a VW California! And I can't even do DIY!

Just turned 34. Young gun? Yes, sometimes. Rich kid? I do not think so. Saved money from day one for my dream and had luck finding my (old, 3rd hand) Cali. Need a house? Not yet.
I like the mixture of Cali owners and we all got quite the same goals: Having fun with our cars, explore, travel, learn and meet new people, culture and countries!

Just turned 34. Young gun? Yes, sometimes. Rich kid? I do not think so. Saved money from day one for my dream and had luck finding my (old, 3rd hand) Cali. Need a house? Not yet.
I like the mixture of Cali owners and we all got quite the same goals: Having fun with our cars, explore, travel, learn and meet new people, culture and countries!

You are the spirited young ones they show in advertisements!

In reality, most of us old farts! Not GJ though as she is contemplating putting on a mini skirt, head band with beads, become a hippe chick!

43 when we got it, 45 now. They are pretty exxy, I'm sure that's a factor, it gets generates a lot of envy in friends and strangers from late teens up.

I'm more nerdy that's geeky!

A geeky question:

What's the difference between nerd and geek? In the US it's the same...

Is a nerd a person who reads? A person who can tell a Chomsky from a Wittgenstein, a Thomas Kuhn from a Karl Popper, a TS Elliot from George Elliot?

Or one who reads popular books? Or watches Downton Abbey on the Beeb rather than reality TV shows?

Is a geek a non inquisitive person in general who is fascinated by trains, or buses etc? Kind of Dustin Hoffman's "Rain Man" type?

I am inveterately curious and often wonder what occupies most people's cranium during waking hours. I have come to the conclusion that it is usually autofunction based on the limbic system....

Envy is not great. I hope the Cali has given a lot of freedom to do things normal cars do not. I am already planning a rock climbing experience on the cliffs!

I thought I bought a 4x4 Sports Utility Vehicle?
If the Cali isnt the ultimate SUV?
What I like about it is that it doesnt scream money the same way a similar priced SUV does.

V true.

I just wish I could have had a 7 seat version with 4 wheel drive, more bhp, say 250, and leather options.

The Mercedes Marco Polo seems to offer most of what is missing in the Cali, but has gone missing in the UK.

Why would Mercedes think UK buyers would not be interested? I much prefer the exterior of the Cali, but the interior of the Marco Polo so much nicer.

In all seriousness,

Where is this perception that Cali owners are old farts or geeks? Who holds it?

The only time I have ever seen such a premise mentioned is in a forum a long way away from here where someone not able to belong here was having a general moan about all and sundry.

My nephews think it's cool; my two great-nephews, on hearing that when they stop over at Jen's can have Albert as their Dorm were "Yeah!!......."; and I have to hide the keys from my Son. All of the "younger generations" to me think it's brilliant.

Where is this perception that Cali owners are old farts or geeks? Who holds it?

It all depends on who is doing the perceiving...

1. People who've never seen a Cali think you own a motorhome (so you must be a bit of an old fart).
2. People who know what a Cali is obviously recognise you are uber-cool (even if a bit self-satisfied).
3. People who've even glimpsed this forum realise we're all actually utter and unmitigated geeks.

;)

Neither old farts nor geeks/nerds. Just a young family who got sick and tired of pitching a huge tent while the kids either got in the way or watched us struggle from the play park. Love our Cali and don't care how we are branded.

Well this brings me nicely onto my theory:

If we are mainly old farts that own Calis then is this why most people have a Cali dog? So it can be blamed on the dog! :bananadance

To answer the earlier question:

http://www.wikihow.com/Tell-the-Difference-Between-Nerds-and-Geeks

Like anything its a matter of opinion what it means, but generally a geek is someone who is knowledgeable and passionate about one particular subject.

MattBW,

Superb link.

I also liked the summary:

"
  • Keep in mind that most geeks are part nerd, and most nerds are part geek. Sometimes the line between is very fuzzy, and remember these two definitions from the Urban Dictionary
  • Nerd: The person you will one day call "boss".
  • Geek: The people you picked on in high school and wind up working for as an adult.
"

I guess we are all at least Geeks now because oof unique interest in Calis!

Neither old farts nor geeks/nerds. Just a young family who got sick and tired of pitching a huge tent while the kids either got in the way or watched us struggle from the play park. Love our Cali and don't care how we are branded.

Well said.

But would anyone from St George's Hill in Weybridge, Surrey ever be caught seen in one, or even know what it is?

Some of their domestic staff might though. However, I am trying to get this changed..

Back