Buy all your VW California Accessories at the Club Shop Visit Shop

Are deflectors needed for LED headlights abroad?

A

ALTYGEZZER555

VIP Member
Vehicle
T6 Ocean 150
Hi, I've studied previous forums on this question but I'm still not sure what is required for driving abroad! Mine is a new Cali Ocean. Some threads say they are not needed and some say they are. If I do need stick on deflectors are the cheapo versions a good option or will I need to dig a bit deeper and get the VW ones? I would be grateful for any clear guidance!

Hi, I've studied previous forums on this question but I'm still not sure what is required for driving abroad! Mine is a new Cali Ocean. Some threads say they are not needed and some say they are. If I do need stick on deflectors are the cheapo versions a good option or will I need to dig a bit deeper and get the VW ones? I would be grateful for any clear guidance!
Short answer No.

If you want to check yourself, park facing a wall or garage door with headlights on dipped beam. For LED headlights the beam pattern is flat with no significant, if any, uptick on the Left hand side.
With Halogen headlights there is a significant uptick, hence the need for a deflector to block this uptick to avoid blinding oncoming drivers.

My T6 with LED lights has a 'travel' setting under the lights settings that changes them to not blind drivers when you cross the channel. If you don't have this, I think legally, you need to put those stickers on.

My T6 with LED lights has a 'travel' setting under the lights settings that changes them to not blind drivers when you cross the channel. If you don't have this, I think legally, you need to put those stickers on.
I believe the T6.1 doesn't have the option to change beam setting.
You say new Ocean ie T6.1 but show T6.

I have never fitted deflectors, as hard to do left one due to curved 'glass'

Short answer No.

If you want to check yourself, park facing a wall or garage door with headlights on dipped beam. For LED headlights the beam pattern is flat with no significant, if any, uptick on the Left hand side.
With Halogen headlights there is a significant uptick, hence the need for a deflector to block this uptick to avoid blinding oncoming drivers.
Hi WelshGas, thanks for your response! I will give that a try against my black garage doors.
What has clouded my thoughts up to now was the number of past forum threads that said law enforcement on the other side expect to see "deflectors" otherwise you could be in for a pull-in and possible fine! I'm still not sure if this is a likelihood or not and of course take the point that attaching deflectors may be unnecessary.

Hi Babble, I have that facility but understood that this just altered the height elevation of the beam, when the vehicle is heavily loaded, rather than altering the potentially dazzling sideways elevation of the beam?

Hi Babble, I have that facility but understood that this just altered the height elevation of the beam, when the vehicle is heavily loaded, rather than altering the potentially dazzling sideways elevation of the beam?
What van have you got? & is it Uk spec? your original post implies a T6.1 ie "new ocean" , but your details show T6. If all else fails show us a picture of your headlights.

Requirements are as follows:
T6 - standard headlights= halogen = stickers required
T6 - upgraded LED headlights = setting on control panel needs changing to travel mode.
T6.1 - Standard Headlights = LED = no stickers & no settings to change, lights kick up slightly to the left but there's nothing you can do about it.

What van have you got? & is it Uk spec? your original post implies a T6.1 ie "new ocean" , but your details show T6. If all else fails show us a picture of your headlights.

T6 - upgraded LED headlights = setting on control panel needs changing to travel mode.
T6.1 - Standard Headlights = LED = no stickers & no settings to change, lights kick up slightly to the left but there's nothing you can do about it.
Hi and I thank you for your reply. I'm not where my van is at present so cannot send a pic but it is a new 6.1 Cali Ocean (brand new last October). I am just attempting to establish what the authorities in Spain & Portugal will accept and I assumed that they would be looking for some noticeable physical adaptation to the headlight beams? If it is widely known and accepted (abroad) that LED's don't require any adaptation I will be very relieved.

Just an aside, but has anyone ever been stopped, advised or fined for not adjusting their headlights on the continent?

Just an aside, but has anyone ever been stopped, advised or fined for not adjusting their headlights on the continent?

Never, and never used them in the last two decades…

Hi and I thank you for your reply. I'm not where my van is at present so cannot send a pic but it is a new 6.1 Cali Ocean (brand new last October). I am just attempting to establish what the authorities in Spain & Portugal will accept and I assumed that they would be looking for some noticeable physical adaptation to the headlight beams? If it is widely known and accepted (abroad) that LED's don't require any adaptation I will be very relieved.
I was there midwinter for 2 months, same age California Ocean too. No adaption and watching the beam on the road none required in practice - though I can’t speak of the specific local law on this.

A separate subject but I was told that webcams are illegal in Portugal (and Austria), so mine was turned through 180 degrees.

I have Cali Ocean T6.1 delivered Sept 2022 LED headlights. I checked the beam in the UK against a wall and it is flat but with a slight rise on the left hand side - less than conventional Halogen lights. There is no dashboard setting or switch setting. I had thought that once abroad the satnav would detect the location and some VW magic would adjust the beam. However, I repeated the check against a wall in France and no change to the beam pattern which still had a slight uplift on the left hand side. However, I don't believe that beam deflectors are necessary as the dipped headlight was not high enough to dazzle oncoming drivers.

I have Cali Ocean T6.1 delivered Sept 2022 LED headlights. I checked the beam in the UK against a wall and it is flat but with a slight rise on the left hand side - less than conventional Halogen lights. There is no dashboard setting or switch setting. I had thought that once abroad the satnav would detect the location and some VW magic would adjust the beam. However, I repeated the check against a wall in France and no change to the beam pattern which still had a slight uplift on the left hand side. However, I don't believe that beam deflectors are necessary as the dipped headlight was not high enough to dazzle oncoming drivers.

That's all good helpful info thanks! Apologies for being late responding as I've been away (without the van this time!). I will do similar checks and if needs be I will use black insulation tape to correct the angle of the beam.

Wonder what the rationale is for removing the headlight travel option on the 6.1. Assume cost.

Wonder what the rationale is for removing the headlight travel option on the 6.1. Assume cost.
It's not needed. the T6.1 LEDs are brilliant with only a very small kick up to left. No point complicating something that works well.

That's all good helpful info thanks! Apologies for being late responding as I've been away (without the van this time!). I will do similar checks and if needs be I will use black insulation tape to correct the angle of the beam.
Trying to do the left one will be difficult due to the 'glass' curvature. Some insulation tapes can leave a
'pitting' mark on the platic type glass, past experience on other vehicles

Biggest problem that I find in France is as they don't have catseyes lane markings having your lights set lower to avoid dazzling due to UK beam kickup makes for limited vision of the lane ahead and the verge.

i think the newest LED lights may well detect other car lights and move up and down so as not to dazzle, negating the need for all these deflectors anyway.

i think the newest LED lights may well detect other car lights and move up and down so as not to dazzle, negating the need for all these deflectors anyway.
Not on a transporter/ cali , there are no moving parts & there's no switching other than between dipped & full beam.

Not on a transporter/ cali , there are no moving parts & there's no switching other than between dipped & full beam.
they are adaptive on my Coast. (bought in Belgium) At least i thought they were - they clearly move up and down as i drive and as i cars appear. Unless i'm going mad. (which is always possible)

Thats the auto levelling - ok I forgot about that as a moving part. If they switch off as cars appear thats the high beam assist, just turns high beam on and off.

The adaptive headlight from most manufacturers means individually switched LEDs in a matrix - the Mercedes ones we have let you leave your headlamps on full beam whilst you drive up behind someone, & just turns off the LEDs that are illuminating the back of the car in front, they still shine either side & illuminate the road behind the car up as far as their back bumper. Also makes the beam longer and narrower the faster you go. The California ones in contrast are either all on or all off.

ok, but auto-leveling will stop dazzling oncoming cars - so maybe why the stickers are not needed.

ok, but auto-leveling will stop dazzling oncoming cars - so maybe why the stickers are not needed.

No, the reason that stickers are not required on a T6.1 with LEDs is because the lights only kick up to the left a little bit unlike your van.

As I said before:

Back