Buy all your VW California Accessories at the Club Shop Visit Shop

Are internal roof toppers the real deal? (or pants)

2into1

2into1

Née T4WFA. Now running 2006 LHD T5 SE 130 Manual
Super Poster
Lifetime VIP Member
Vehicle
T5 SE 130
I'm weighing up my choice of topper. Having just sold my hard top van, I guess I'm going to feel a bit exposed going back to canvas. I'm well versed in the general arguments between the two types, but have a specific question.
I'm drawn to the convenience of the internal models....but most of the photos of them fitted they look at a bit 'pants', particularly the club / comfortz ones... Gaps at the top, baggy sides, areas where there is too much / not enough material which suggests they touch the original canvas or lean into the sleeping area. So based on the photos i'm not convinced they do as good a job as the external ones, which seem to maintain a proper gap all around.
I'm 6'4" tall so well equipped to fit an external topper but often travel alone, and am also a bit of a lazy ar*e so if the internal ones are better than they look, that might be best.
The photos of the brandrup ones look better, but are approaching silly money and when fitted by a Brit may look equally 'pants'.

Your thoughts appreciated.....

If you stay longer periodes at thesame site the external is great , also in heavy rain/wind it does have some benefits.
It does take some effort to put up and take off ...in the rain...
I got the external and happy with it.

The internal has the best isolation i think and can stay in place at all time.
Note that i have no expirience on the inner topper.

Anyway , there are other treads also on this ....have you read those?
;)

@hotel california. Thanks. Yep I've ready every thread (except the political ones) for the last 2.5 years. None seemed to cover my 'baggy pants' worry (not sure how well that translates ;))

I will let you know, plumped for a Comfortz one and fitting tonight or tomorrow. Welcome to view when it's fitted.

@hotel california. Thanks. Yep I've ready every thread (except the political ones) for the last 2.5 years. None seemed to cover my 'baggy pants' worry (not sure how well that translates ;))

I understand your pants problem , i also would feel it would look odd having the internal topper . But as i said those having it can give better advise as me and as far i have read the most are oke with it. As are the most who have a external one....we are a happy few!

having lived with winds,rains, hail, gales etc (although we sleep down stairs) we never got around to getting a topper and do not feel the need.(now)
So I think you have 3 choices rather than your 2
  • Internal topper
  • external topper
  • no topper

I'm with the OP on the look of the Comfortz version. The Brandrup looks much neater based on the photos in the shop.

Can I justify the extra cost of the Brandrup? Not sure yet.

I'm tempted to get through 2017 without buying any kind of topper.

Sent from my MotoE2(4G-LTE) using Tapatalk

I will let you know, plumped for a Comfortz one and fitting tonight or tomorrow. Welcome to view when it's fitted.
Thanks! I'd welcome that. The pressure is on!

having lived with winds,rains, hail, gales etc (although we sleep down stairs) we never got around to getting a topper and do not feel the need.(now)
So I think you have 3 choices rather than your 2
  • Internal topper
  • external topper
  • no topper

Do you camp in the winter, when it's snowing ? We were considering one for when the mechanism gets full of snow. Happened last year with the hire California we had.

..me..

I'm going with a Brandrup internal, biting the bullet after reading so many positive posts on here, @Borris must've sold more than a few single handed.

I just really can't be bothered to have yet another thing to do when setting-up, so fit & forget is my new mantra. My mate slept upstairs once when we were at L'Eroica Britannia in Bakewell and christened it "The Light Box", so the cost to keep the more frequent 6-year old sleeper up there darker / quieter / warmer for longer is well worth having my leg lifted for.

We have a comfortz internal topper. Had it for over a year now and one of the best investments made for our Cali. Kids sleep up top and sleep through to 8am :thumb as reasonably dark & insulated for them. Went away in January and no issues with warmth either.

We've just fitted and had first nights use of Brandrup internal. It fits very well and is aesthetically superior, looks and fit-wise, we feel, to alternatives. It made a big difference overnight to sleeping up top both in terms of warmth and light penetration. It's expensive but we feel key to our enjoyment and year round use of the Cali, especially as we need to sleep four of us.

Do you camp in the winter, when it's snowing ? We were considering one for when the mechanism gets full of snow. Happened last year with the hire California we had.

..me..

yes use all year and have been caught by snow once just banged it and brushed it off BUT living in Southampton and winter camping has been in South risk of snow is lower than your area

Thanks for the replies. I'd be very happy if my (and it seems a few other's) perception that the brandrup product is a better fit than the Comfortz is proven wrong. I'd rather buy the cheaper product from Nick, but I've chosen the Cali over a conversion for its fit and finish and don't want to be annoyed each time I look into the roof.

@briwy 's installation in the linked thread above looked the neatest so far, and that was an early model, but later posts seem to have more trouble getting the fit and neat-look right.

I am now convinced about the insulation properties. It seems a canvas roof with a Cozy is better insulated than the metal box below. So it's just the aesthetics worrying me.

We've just fitted and had first nights use of Brandrup internal. It fits very well and is aesthetically superior, looks and fit-wise, we feel, to alternatives. It made a big difference overnight to sleeping up top both in terms of warmth and light penetration. It's expensive but we feel key to our enjoyment and year round use of the Cali, especially as we need to sleep four of us.
+1

Charles

I've so far resisted buying one, but the upstairs downstairs temperature differential in winter is pushing me towards getting one for next winter. Definitely would be an internal one though

bought an internal Isotope and it was a great buy, worth the money it costs!
I have the new T6, the original outer fabric if wet dries quickly and is well insulated. Isotop makes the difference .....

Fitted the Cali Cozy tonight, pretty happy with the fit, not sure what the Brandrup looks like but for £150 less and very satisfied forum customers I plumped for the Comfortz. Yes it is a little baggy in places, I might have to tweak the fitting but it is never going to be taught like the Cali roof material. It is quality material and certainly feels like it will protect you from the elements, feels a lot warmer and no draughts. We have used an external topper previously which works well but is a faff putting on and taking off in wet or windy weather.IMG_3381.jpgIMG_3386.jpgIMG_3388.jpgIMG_3371.jpgIMG_3383.jpg

Anyone with an ISOtop willing to share similar photos?

Fitted the Cali Cozy tonight, pretty happy with the fit, not sure what the Brandrup looks like but for £150 less and very satisfied forum customers I plumped for the Comfortz. Yes it is a little baggy in places, I might have to tweak the fitting but it is never going to be taught like the Cali roof material. It is quality material and certainly feels like it will protect you from the elements, feels a lot warmer and no draughts. We have used an external topper previously which works well but is a faff putting on and taking off in wet or windy weather.View attachment 22158View attachment 22159View attachment 22160View attachment 22161View attachment 22162
I can see why there are no draughts as it covers the roof vents. At least with a Topper there is a 3-4" gap between Topper and vent to allow some air movement. Just saying.:thumb

It is not true that it covers the air out ...... just keep the hinges open .... Isotop with excellent fabric and perfect fit, does not fold. When closing the roof remains assembled and does not need all the work of mounting / disassembling the outer cover..I imagine being a pleasure to put it back when wet / dirty hahaha

We have the Comfortz one. Makes a noticeable difference to warmth levels in the roof top bed on colder nights.
However I would agree it does slightly spoil the OEM look. From an aesthetics point of view I'd rather not have it, but keeping the kids warm is current priority.
I've not decided yet whether to remove for the summer as we normally close the roof with thin sleeping bags in place which you cannot do if using the liner.

From an aesthetics point of view I'd rather not have it,
Another honest review from a Comfortz owner. We could really do with real-life photos of the brandrup product to assess if the isotop does fit better than the Comfortz or if simply their advertising photos are better, and once installed, appear equally baggy.

I feel bad pushing this, but £350 is a big chunk to swallow and be disappointed. It's only slightly better than spending £500 and being disappointed :(

Last edited: