Buy all your VW California Accessories at the Club Shop Visit Shop

Are leisure batteries and the motor battery the same ?

Wendy

Wendy

Vehicle
T5 HighTop
I know this will sound stupid ( no change here then) but are the leisure batteries and the motor battery the same? . Our van was second hand and we don’t know how long they have been in( it’s 9 years old) we just looking at getting a solar panel but wondering if we should change the leisure batteries, once again I rely on your help

Yes they are different, have a look here.

I know this will sound stupid ( no change here then) but are the leisure batteries and the motor battery the same? . Our van was second hand and we don’t know how long they have been in( it’s 9 years old) we just looking at getting a solar panel but wondering if we should change the leisure batteries, once again I rely on your help
No, 2 different systems. 3 batteries in total and the 2 Leisure Batteries should be the same make and capacity. 9 yrs old and probably coming upto replacement time especially if not looked after properly.

My Cali is over 9 years old. The 2 leisure are still going strong. The engine start needed changing a couple of years ago.

I have Rogers Solar Panel supporting the leisure.

My Cali is over 9 years old. The 2 leisure are still going strong. The engine start needed changing a couple of years ago.

I have Rogers Solar Panel supporting the leisure.
The Solar Panel will Charge the Leisure Batteries to 100%, but without Solar you are dependant on the Alternator and Mains Charging periodically and that is where the problem may arise if the vehicle is not used regularly and Mains Charged as per the Handbook.

The Solar Panel will Charge the Leisure Batteries to 100%, but without Solar you are dependant on the Alternator and Mains Charging periodically and that is where the problem may arise if the vehicle is not used regularly and Mains Charged as per the Handbook.

Exactly.

From experience you can ‘use and abuse leisure use batteries ‘ as long as you are keeping them active and pushing regular charge back in. In a marine environment my leisure and engine start are conditioned by Solar & Wind Charger and both banks have the same period of life, about 12 years per battery installation over several decades of use.

Without a split charging system, all the more reason to use the Cali as a daily driver or charge by hook up monthly.

The two types have a different design function.
Think of an Olympic weight Lifter and an Olympic Marathon runner.
The Engine battery is designed to give a lot of power in a short time as per the weight lifter.
The Leisure battery is designed for a long steady power output as per the marathon runner.

Both Athletes and Batteries roles can be reversed but not produce very efficient results.

No, 2 different systems. 3 batteries in total and the 2 Leisure Batteries should be the same make and capacity. 9 yrs old and probably coming upto replacement time especially if not looked after properly.
Thank you

The Engine battery is designed to give a lot of power in a short time as per the weight lifter.
The Leisure battery is designed for a long steady power output as per the marathon runner.

Both Athletes and Batteries roles can be reversed but not produce very efficient results.
Thankyou

Exactly.

From experience you can ‘use and abuse leisure use batteries ‘ as long as you are keeping them active and pushing regular charge back in. In a marine environment my leisure and engine start are conditioned by Solar & Wind Charger and both banks have the same period of life, about 12 years per battery installation over several decades of use.

Without a split charging system, all the more reason to use the Cali as a daily driver or charge by hook up monthly.
Thankyou

Thankyou

Thank you to everyone for your help. As I said we don’t know if they have been previously changed but judging by what you have said I am thinking most likely not.looks like we will be investing in new ones. Once again the Cali owners have been brilliant :)

That’s the thing, we are concerned that if we are away in winter days and need the lights and heating on they will let us down. We are going to get a solar panel Though so maybe we could see how that goes first. Thank you Matt, food for thought :)

That’s the thing, we are concerned that if we are away in winter days and need the lights and heating on they will let us down. We are going to get a solar panel Though so maybe we could see how that goes first. Thank you Matt, food for thought :)
You could check the Battery Dates to see if they have been replaced. They should be the same battery and same date.

Back