Buy all your VW California Accessories at the Club Shop Visit Shop

Are my leisure batteries dead?

K

KBR

VIP Member
Vehicle
T5 SE 180
Hi All,

I have a second hand Cali SE which I bought in December. I'm pretty clueless when it comes to batteries and the electrical circuits, I've read up what I can but I was hoping for some advice as I fear the leisure batteries have a problem from what I'm seeing. In the first few trips out, the % dropped to 50 or 40% in pretty much no time. I've done some testing over the past 48 hours as follows.

- Charged off the mains for a complete 24 hours. Read out as follows after 24 hours (still plugged in)
IMG_0900.jpeg

- Unplugged the mains and the readout was as follows:
IMG_0901.jpeg

- Nothing switched on, after 12 minutes, already down to 90%. After 90 minutes, down to 80%. After 2 hours 20 minutes, down to 70%. I turned off the control panel between each check, so nothing should be being used at all.
IMG_0909.jpeg

- Next morning, went out. Still at 70%
IMG_0930.jpeg

- Checked again this afternoon. Still at 70%, so I thought I'd switch on some lights. Switched on 2 internal spots and the bar above the hob area. Within 7 minutes, it had dropped to 50%
IMG_0946.jpeg

Is this what I should be seeing? Any advice, or are they just knackered? Please note, I'm not technical when it comes to this sort of thing, so layman's terms would be great!

Thanks in advance.

There is a big cube fuse on the rear battery, check it's not blown using a multimeter buzzer across it.

DSC_0330-1.jpg

There is a big cube fuse on the rear battery, check it's not blown using a multimeter buzzer across it.
Just ordered one. Guessing it’s a useful bit of kit. I’ll see what happens with it and update the thread if I’m stuck! Thanks.

Hi All,

I have a second hand Cali SE which I bought in December. I'm pretty clueless when it comes to batteries and the electrical circuits, I've read up what I can but I was hoping for some advice as I fear the leisure batteries have a problem from what I'm seeing. In the first few trips out, the % dropped to 50 or 40% in pretty much no time. I've done some testing over the past 48 hours as follows.

- Charged off the mains for a complete 24 hours. Read out as follows after 24 hours (still plugged in)
View attachment 72369

- Unplugged the mains and the readout was as follows:
View attachment 72371

- Nothing switched on, after 12 minutes, already down to 90%. After 90 minutes, down to 80%. After 2 hours 20 minutes, down to 70%. I turned off the control panel between each check, so nothing should be being used at all.
View attachment 72372

- Next morning, went out. Still at 70%
View attachment 72373

- Checked again this afternoon. Still at 70%, so I thought I'd switch on some lights. Switched on 2 internal spots and the bar above the hob area. Within 7 minutes, it had dropped to 50%
View attachment 72374

Is this what I should be seeing? Any advice, or are they just knackered? Please note, I'm not technical when it comes to this sort of thing, so layman's terms would be great!

Thanks in advance.
How old is the vehicle?
Check the Cube fuse on the rear Leisure Battery.
If that is OK then the likelihood the batteries may be failing , either both or just one. They will last a good few years if properly looked after such as hooking up to the Mains monthly for a minimum 12 hrs , as detailed in the handbook.
Also trying not to discharge below 11.5 volts for any period of time.

How old is the vehicle?
Check the Cube fuse on the rear Leisure Battery.
If that is OK then the likelihood the batteries may be failing , either both or just one. They will last a good few years if properly looked after such as hooking up to the Mains monthly for a minimum 12 hrs , as detailed in the handbook.
Also trying not to discharge below 11.5 volts for any period of time.
It’s a 2014. I’m going to check the fuse, if that’s not faulty then it looks like I’ll have to take it in somewhere. Thanks.

It’s a 2014. I’m going to check the fuse, if that’s not faulty then it looks like I’ll have to take it in somewhere. Thanks.
The batteries are probably US.
I have a 2014, used a lot and one battery failed after 5 years. Replaced both last year.
if you can wire a plug then you can change the 2 Leisure Batteries yourself. Much cheaper than a garage, especially a VW Dealership.

These are the OEM batteries fitted.

Looks like I have this problem too - Aug 2015 SE.. The van has only been driven on short journeys recently and has been hooked up to the mains intermittently over Christmas. I had noticed they looked to drop to 50% quickly (I assumed because of the cold) as above, but went out to the van this morning and on 0% so I assume dead.

I'll check the fuses too, but new batteries may be incoming. Are both batteries under the lower cupboard like a T4?

Thanks

Looks like I have this problem too - Aug 2015 SE.. The van has only been driven on short journeys recently and has been hooked up to the mains intermittently over Christmas. I had noticed they looked to drop to 50% quickly (I assumed because of the cold) as above, but went out to the van this morning and on 0% so I assume dead.

I'll check the fuses too, but new batteries may be incoming. Are both batteries under the lower cupboard like a T4?

Thanks
No, 1 under rear wardrobe and 1 under front passenger seat.

Just ordered one. Guessing it’s a useful bit of kit. I’ll see what happens with it and update the thread if I’m stuck! Thanks.
Ok, got my kit for testing. As I’m clueless with this sort of thing, could you advise the setting and what to stick where (so to speak).

Attachments

• 6AEE36F9-4C4F-4786-A2F4-D3315EB3DB17.jpeg
    6AEE36F9-4C4F-4786-A2F4-D3315EB3DB17.jpeg
    103.2 KB · Views: 37
Put the black lead in the COM socket and the red lead in the VohmmA socket then turn the dial to the red buzzer symbol. If you touch the ends of the leads together you should hear it buzz confirming continuity.
Go the the rear battery and place one lead on the bottom of the cube fuse on the + terminal and place the other lead on the top of the cube fuse, the multimeter should buzz if the fuse is OK, if not you need to replace it. Think you can buy it from the Cali Shop.
Let us all know how it goes.

sketch-1611602414597.png

You can buy the 50A or 75A Cube fuse from here or VW (check the current Amp rating on your blown cube fuse could be 50A or 75A).

Last edited:
Put the black lead in the COM socket and the red lead in the VohmmA socket then turn the dial to the red buzzer symbol. If you touch the ends of the leads together you should hear it buzz confirming continuity.
Go the the rear battery and place one lead on the bottom of the cube fuse on the + terminal and place the other lead on the top of the cube fuse, the multimeter should buzz if the fuse is OK, if not you need to replace it. Think you can buy it from the Cali Shop.

View attachment 72437
Lovely stuff. Will test tomorrow. Many thanks for the help.

The batteries are probably US.
I have a 2014, used a lot and one battery failed after 5 years. Replaced both last year.
if you can wire a plug then you can change the 2 Leisure Batteries yourself. Much cheaper than a garage, especially a VW Dealership.

These are the OEM batteries fitted.
I have been reading up on the leisure battery replacement. I can rewired a plug no problem but I thought that the front seat needed to be removed too?

I have been reading up on the leisure battery replacement. I can rewired a plug no problem but I thought that the front seat needed to be removed too?
You can just remove a couple of seat bolts and tilt the seat to remove battery, see...
https://k3yak.com/vw-california-leisure-battery-replacement/
as Alled already stated in previous post above..
Post in thread 'Are my leisure batteries dead?' https://vwcaliforniaclub.com/threads/are-my-leisure-batteries-dead.38860/post-488144

Last edited:
You can just remove a couple of seat bolts and tilt the seat to remove battery, see...
https://k3yak.com/vw-california-leisure-battery-replacement/
as Alled already stated in previous post above..
Post in thread 'Are my leisure batteries dead?' https://vwcaliforniaclub.com/threads/are-my-leisure-batteries-dead.38860/post-488144
Thank you for this link, these instructions seem very clear, I'll see if I can persuade my hubby to have a go at changing them. We got discouraged by the tales of what can go wrong!

Thank you for this link, these instructions seem very clear, I'll see if I can persuade my hubby to have a go at changing them. We got discouraged by the tales of what can go wrong!
Just make sure you cover up the +ve leads once removed from the batteries to avoid them touching any earth point during removal and reassembly.

If you are a member of the Caravan and Motorhome Club you get 10% discount at Tanya Batteries (Varta LA80 for leisure batteries)...
UPDATED: may have ended in Dec 2020 so check first.
UPDATED2: Just emailed Tanya and 10% offer still valid with code. :)

Last edited:

View attachment 72437
Done the test. Got the buzz, so fuse would appear to be OK. I’m guessing that’s bad news for my wallet.... unless there is anything else to check prior to replacing batteries?

What are the voltages on each battery? Could it be that one has gone and not the other. I plan to remove mine and put on the conditioner for a few days to see what they hold.

Worth trying to charge each battery separately then load test them with a headlight bulb or similar across the terminals to see how quickly the voltage drops. If either battery is no good replace them both with a pair of the Varta LA80 or similar from Tanya etc. Expensive but if looked after they should last 10 years, my 2010 Cali is still on the original leisure batteries and gives me 3 days off grid.

Can I ask the basis for replacing as a pair if one is still decent?
If both batteries are of the same age and one is dead or dying the other will follow soon. If a poor condition battery is paired with a new battery it could impair the life of the new battery so it's good practise to replace both batteries especially as battery technology has changed significantly over the years.
For technical details have a read of this ...