Buy all your VW California Accessories at the Club Shop Visit Shop

Arm rest

JimP1992

JimP1992

VIP Member
Vehicle
T6 Ocean 150
So, finally got around to fitting our GTi seat covers.
After a lot of effing and blinding (and with help from the Mrs) they are finally on and I must say, they look great.

However…

I’ve been putting the arm rests back on and for some reason, the final armrest bolt gives a lot of resistance when screwing into the seat, without being fully screwed in (maybe like 2 rotations). I’ve tried screwing the bolt without the armrest in to see if it’s an alignment issue and it’s not. I tried the other bolts and they’re all the same, a lot of resistance.

Any advice from the forum? I don’t want to smooth the head or have it snap inside the hole, as I’ve read on the forum…

TIA!

Questions - did the bolt come out okay or was it tight? If the latter, I’d use a bit of WD40 or some ptfe / lithium grease on the end and have another go.
If it came out okay, after trying to screw it in, does the end of the thread profile look perfect, or rough / grooved at all? If the latter, it could be the bolt has gone in an an angle, and it’s mashed the internal thread a bit, or even cross threaded it.
If that’s the case, I’d get a thread tap and carefully clean up/ re-profile the internal thread, again using a bit of lithium grease. It should only be the first rotation of thread that’s a problem, so won’t need to go too deep.