Buy all your VW California Accessories at the Club Shop Visit Shop

Armrest screw

Calitreks

Calitreks

Vehicle
T6 Ocean 150
Hi all. Replaced seat covers today. Really pleased with them but had a bit of a disaster screwing one of the arm rests back on turned too tight and the screw sheared off. The remaining piece is still inside !! Is there any way of removing the housing or is this going to be an expensive trip to VW ? Thanks in advance.
4815084c38987f182d4ad8a219d57e1e.jpg

I stopped trying to undo mine when it felt like it would shear just as yours have. Due to thread lock being used when assembled.

Only way is to drill centre and then probably screw into the seat frame to clear the tread.

You could use a small file or hacksaw blade to cut a notch in the bolt (after drilling) to relieve the sheared bolt tension on the nut.

VW will probably say that the seat needs replacing.

Many thanks. I thought the only official way would be seat replacement !!

I will give the drill option a try !!

Many thanks. I thought the only official way would be seat replacement !!

I will give the drill option a try !!
I misread your initial problem and thought you'd sheared off undoing it.

As it sheared when tightening it should screw out although it may screw itself in when drilling.

A bolt extractor should remove it if you manage to make a drill hole.

Example

Hi
Before you try a stud extractor try drill it out with a left hand drill bit. At work we buy them from drill services in Horley. As you drill as the drill is going in the same direction as you would if you where to unscrew it. This can have the effect of unscrewing the broken bolt.
The problem with a stud extractor is if it breaks then it is very difficult to remove as drills cannot drill them.
The other way I have had some success in is to drill out the bolt in stages until the threads are just showing and the run a tap through it to clean up the threads.

Thanks all !! Too late !! Already tried a bolt extractor and yep , it snapped inside too !!
I’ve now bought a more expensive set of left handed drill bits and bolt extractors. Accepting I’ve now got an even harder job than when I started !! (Holds heads in hands) !!

Ok if you have some goggles and a punch you can try and tap the stud extractor and stud in the direction of unscrewing. As the extractor is very hard it may chip or break or if you are lucky unscrew the stud.
If you try drilling be very careful and the drill may chip so again wear goggles.
If these don’t work the I would try and strip down the seat of all fabric and cushioning and try a tack weld a metal strip to the end of the stud and unscrew the stud.

Thanks Pete. Didn’t have chance to look at it today. Will keep update on here.

@Buddano: just wondering how you got on with your arm rest repair. I suffered exactly the same issue yesterday in exactly the same way: remounting the armrest after fitting a set of seat covers. I've been extremely lucky in that I have not had to drill out the bolt (I was able to remove it from the seat bracket with a set of pliers).

Were you able to source a replacement bolt and, if so, where from?

And did you have to replace the bush in the armrest?

a few methods of getting that out. BEFORE drilling it and trying the easy out or extractor try tapping it round with a centre punch or small chisel. hit the punch hard near the edge and then angle it to knock the thread around anti clockwise. if its not too tight it should start to move. once out a little you could then try grab it with some mole grips and spin it out. ok edit, I see you now have a bust extractor in there. still my centre pop method may work. try it. also if you have bust the extractor not too deep in the drill hole that may come out with some long nosed pliers.
another good way i find often works is drill hole and then hammer in an allen key or a torx socket bit and try turn it

I’ve been really lazy (probably through frustration) with this, although have revisited a few times without success and repeated a few of suggestions above.

Have a new screw waiting still

My latest thinking (and probably last resort) is a tap and die set I’ve just purchased (this week coincidentally) to re thread the hole as nothing else seems to want to work.

I’ve been really lazy (probably through frustration) with this, although have revisited a few times without success and repeated a few of suggestions above.

Have a new screw waiting still

My latest thinking (and probably last resort) is a tap and die set I’ve just purchased (this week coincidentally) to re thread the hole as nothing else seems to want to work.
you still need to get it out or at least the broken extractor out to be able to drill it.

Seems like yet another reason to buy the Brandrup seat covers , they are just plug&play..no armrest removal needed.

Quick update on my repair: I ordered a replacement armrest fitting bolt and bush repair bearing from Online Motor Store, who were the only supplier that I could find who stocked both parts (important as I needed to get them shipped to Spain and didn't want to pay two lots of p&p). The chap I spoke to at OMS was pleasant and helpful and the parts took only a few days to be delivered (ordered Tuesday delivered Saturday), which is super-quick under the current circumstances. Cost £31 including £11 shipping.

I've just fitted the replacement bush into the armrest under the guidance of a Polish YouTuber and will head out to the van later this afternoon to re-attach the armrest to the seat.

I did the same to my T6 today. ordered Left Hand Drill bt set and new bolt. ...