Buy all your VW California Accessories at the Club Shop Visit Shop

Arround the world in a solar powerd VW bus

• Thread starter Hotel California
  • Start date
Managed to persuade Google translate to do it:-

Fransman travels around the world with this old Volkswagen van on solar energy Rémi Pillot, a young French aviation engineer, wants to travel around the world in an electric Volkswagen van with trailer. The thirties from Marseille does not do more than solar energy. Erik Kouwenhoven 1 April 2018 10u52 Source: AD.nl Pillot, who lives in Marseille, has converted his Volkswagen bus into a kind of solar panel on wheels. The car is powered by the 100 hp engine of an electric Ford Transit and is powered by a half battery pack from a Tesla Model S. Under ideal circumstances, the solar panels on its bus and trailer could charge the batteries within eight hours. 3 Rémi Pillot 50,000 kilometers in one and a half years The plan is to drive more than 50,000 kilometers by 30 countries in a year and a half. The French adventurer wants to draw attention to the conversion of existing cars to electric vehicles. Such a conversion would cost less than the purchase of a new electric car. Pillot thinks that there is a huge market for this transition in view of the rapid loss of value of the current diesel cars. He has to practice a little more for solar-powered cars, because the construction of his solar light bus cost more than 100,000 euros.

Can't believe we got past noon today (April 1st), without a comment about the lengths some folk go to avoid roff corrosion.....
My other car is an eGolf, which has a battery smaller than the above. It takes about 6 hours to charge on a 7kw home charger or about 20 off a 3 pin plug - so not sure about the maths! (From what I can see from the diagram he has a 42kwh battery, which if empty, would need to be charged at 5kw to complete in 5 hours. Roger Donoghue's solar panels on my van produce 200w).
Think I might wait for some field testing before placing an order!

meant roof corrosion of course!

Last edited by a moderator:
I have considered converting my T25 to electric but I will wait for the tech to be more tested and readily available :)

Back