Buy all your VW California Accessories at the Club Shop Visit Shop

At my age little things, a Cali, mean a lot.

David Marsh

David Marsh

Vehicle
T5 SE 174
Hi everyone,
Well after owning motorhomes since 1968 with the odd swerve into caravanning we have been downsizing for the past few years, from an American gin palace to a Eura Mobil to an SCSporthome, to a Rimor to a tiny Duetto to an Autosleeper Sandhurst and now to a 2009 used but hopefully not abused Cali SE 174 DSG.
We are sitting here at our home here in Garstang saying to each other 'What on earth have we done'.
Not a clue where we are going to put our 'Must have with us' things!!!!
No tv aerial so whats all that about. Yes I know all about the infernal wifi and MacBook this and iPhone that as we have them but at nigh on seventy four years of age not only I but also 'She who must be obeyed' just isn't herself if her beloved Currynation Ally or Dinglevale isn't available (aka Coronation Street and Emmerdale). Life just wouldn't be worth living.
We have homes in Spain and in the UK and so do travel backwards and forwards to those and also take the odd side trip to wherever the mood takes us.
Here's hoping for a few more years at least and maybe one day meet up with you.
Regards,
David, Valerie and Effie the effin' dog.

Welcome to the forum.
Sounds like a real challenge but with a Cali the head and the heart have to be in harmony.
To me its an SE or Ocean only with no more than a couple, 1 kid and a small dog. Even that is likely to become tiresome in more than a week of poor weather.
But......
If you read up on @Amarillo threads and posts you'll see a completely different picture.

You can get an ariel and TV and you'll find somethings you can pack that you thought you might not have room for and you'll probably take stuff you never use too.

But for sure having been used to the room you had in your previous vehicles you'll need to enjoy the compromise cheerfully.

Welcome , a holliday home in Spain and a Cali ....need to work harder/save more as for now a Cali is all i can affort....

Welcome to the forum.
Sounds like a real challenge but with a Cali the head and the heart have to be in harmony.
To me its an SE or Ocean only with no more than a couple, 1 kid and a small dog. Even that is likely to become tiresome in more than a week of poor weather.
But......
If you read up on @Amarillo threads and posts you'll see a completely different picture.

You can get an ariel and TV and you'll find somethings you can pack that you thought you might not have room for and you'll probably take stuff you never use too.

But for sure having been used to the room you had in your previous vehicles you'll need to enjoy the compromise cheerfully.
Thanks for the comments, like the old saying 'We're never too old to learn'. No doubt we will have as much fun, nay.....even more than we've had in the past. Some folks, as we've seen many many times, do try to fit a quart into a pint pot. Thinks to myself "I'll be looking at a trailer soon'.

Welcome , a holliday home in Spain and a Cali ....need to work harder/save more as for now a Cali is all i can affort....
Well, you know what it is, work hard and maybe play hard. At our time, which is our time these days as the children have their own families to look after, we are able to spend their inheritance and smile whilst we're doing it. Happy days. On a serious note though, I just got lucky....not as lucky as some but maybe slightly luckier than others.

Hi everyone,
Well after owning motorhomes since 1968 with the odd swerve into caravanning we have been downsizing for the past few years, from an American gin palace to a Eura Mobil to an SCSporthome, to a Rimor to a tiny Duetto to an Autosleeper Sandhurst and now to a 2009 used but hopefully not abused Cali SE 174 DSG.
We are sitting here at our home here in Garstang saying to each other 'What on earth have we done'.
No tv aerial so whats all that about. Yes I know all about the infernal wifi and MacBook this and iPhone that as we have them but at nigh on seventy four years of age not only I but also 'She who must be obeyed' just isn't herself if her beloved Currynation Ally or Dinglevale isn't available (aka Coronation Street and Emmerdale). Life just wouldn't be worth living.
We have homes in Spain and in the UK and so do travel backwards and forwards to those and also take the odd side trip to wherever the mood takes us.
Regards,
Welcome to the three of you! :welcome

There’s quite a number of downsizers on here, you will find. We gradually worked our way up from a VW Split Screen in the 70’s to a Kon Tiki in the 90’s, then gradually back down again to a Cali. All the stuff we use to carry around with us hardly ever got used, we can fit what we really need in what we have now.

The only downside is not having a loo, but the advantages outweigh that and I wouldn’t go large again! (Famous last words!)

:thumb

I am sure you got lots of experiences to share with us no matter what kind of MHLook forward to see some pictures!

Welcome to the three of you! :welcome

There’s quite a number of downsizers on here, you will find. We gradually worked our way up from a VW Split Screen in the 70’s to a Kon Tiki in the 90’s, then gradually back down again to a Cali. All the stuff we use to carry around with us hardly ever got used, we can fit what we really need in what we have now.

The only downside is not having a loo, but the advantages outweigh that and I wouldn’t go large again! (Famous last words!)

:thumb
Oh yes, I know the feeling only too well. My first was in 1968 and 'F' registered Bedford Dormobile and that was the start of a lifetime of swapping and changing. I'm unable to go large due to those lovely lovely people at the DVLA restricting me these days to 3500kgs and 'Vehicle adapted to suit disability'. Not to worry though, a creaking gate lasts forever!!!! (Hopefully).

Hi everyone,
Regards,
Hi David &Val &, of course, the effin dawg.
Good to see that you got yourselves the top van at last.
And you have found the Forum too.
Don't worry about 'Corry', do what we do and have a little walk in the evening, a small night cap and straight to bed!
Look forward to seeing you again...
David & Kay

Hi David &Val &, of course, the effin dawg.
Good to see that you got yourselves the top van at last.
And you have found the Forum too.
Don't worry about 'Corry', do what we do and have a little walk in the evening, a small night cap and straight to bed!
Look forward to seeing you again...
David & Kay
Hey up Sithee.
Well yes, the end has come for us with the big stuff.
Thought we would buy an older used model just give the Lilliputian a go. It’s the ‘little’ things we’ve taken for granted that has caused some discussion. The number of 240v outlets, hot water, bathroom, storage.
I had a high top Westfalia Joker back when they first came out, 1980, and had no problem at all. Underslung refillable has tank etc etc.
Thursday we’re camping at Hamble. Friday morning someone arrives at Portsmouth with my Porsche as I left it over at the house in Spain, so Val will have to collect that and the Friday afternoon we collect the Cali from Poole. Another couple of nights in Hamble to try it out and if all’s well we’ll drive up to Garstang on Sunday.
I bet Val drives like Pat Moss!!!
See you soon.
David, Valerie and Effie the effin’ dog.x.

my Porsche
We have something else in common!

Just had Porsche on the Prom near here in Llandudno, around 600 cars on the day. Search YouTube for it, if you can find the one with the drone footage mine is Miami Blue 718S Boxster 3rd from the end :thumb

Just had Porsche on the Prom near here in Llandudno, around 600 cars on the day. Search YouTube for it, if you can find the one with the drone footage mine is Miami Blue 718S Boxster 3rd from the end :thumb
I love my little Boxster. It’s getting on in years now, a 1999 2.5 tip but after owning many many new cars most of which were top notch, the Boxster has been the most enjoyable. As I write this I have a driver driving the car up from our home in Spain to deliver it to me in Portsmouth on Friday morning. She who must be obeyed will have to be trusted to drive it back up to Garstang as I’ll be driving the Cali.
Yes, quite a few of the Region 18 chaps of the PCGB and a few of the Lancashire, Cumbria and Cheshire TIPEC lads went. Brilliant turnout from what I’ve seen posted on the various Facebook pages.

I love my little Boxster. It’s getting on in years now, a 1999 2.5 tip but after owning many many new cars most of which were top notch, the Boxster has been the most enjoyable. As I write this I have a driver driving the car up from our home in Spain to deliver it to me in Portsmouth on Friday morning. She who must be obeyed will have to be trusted to drive it back up to Garstang as I’ll be driving the Cali.
Yes, quite a few of the Region 18 chaps of the PCGB and a few of the Lancashire, Cumbria and Cheshire TIPEC lads went. Brilliant turnout from what I’ve seen posted on the various Facebook pages.
Yes it was a great day and the turn out far exceeded the expectations I think. Great car to drive, but unfortunately it doesn’t have a sink, cooker, fridge or bed! :D

718? Is that the one with the 4 pot engine :Nailbiting

718? Is that the one with the 4 pot engine :Nailbiting
Yes. I previously had a 981, I do know the difference and agonised for a while over changing, but I have no regrets now! ;)

Back