Buy all your VW California Accessories at the Club Shop Visit Shop

At the docks

Ian on the road

Ian on the road

VIP Member
Vehicle
Grand California 680
Having ordered on 14/7, our GC is now sat at Sheerness docks, so on the home leg, you might say.
I’ve seen loads of threads on California delivery checklists but can’t see anything GC specific. Does anyone have any hints/tips for when we pick up?

Can’t imagine that in the current climate, it will be the most involved handover I’ve ever had.

Havent got any tips as yet to order but how exciting for you!

Having ordered on 14/7, our GC is now sat at Sheerness docks, so on the home leg, you might say.
I’ve seen loads of threads on California delivery checklists but can’t see anything GC specific. Does anyone have any hints/tips for when we pick up?

Can’t imagine that in the current climate, it will be the most involved handover I’ve ever had.
Handover is going to be different.
A tip from my son though, regarding his new vehicle.
Take photos of vehicle outside Dealership, ideally with salesman to confirm date/time of handover and who did it. Then photos of documents and handbook. External photos and internal photos of vehicle and photos with cupboards, draws etc open and closed. Then drive home and go through Handbook relating to the Camping side of things.
Any faults etc, backed up by photos and report to Dealership. NB; there is very little, if any, PDI check on the Camping side of things undertaken by the Dealership. The PDI is mainly aimed at the base vehicle only.

Thanks for the guidance. Got to say, I know we’re in strange times but the dealership approach to keeping us updated, has been shocking. I’ve worked in sales for 30 years and a key rule has always been - keep everyone updated, even if it’s to say no change. We’re going to love the vehicle but I wouldn’t recommend the buying experience to anyone.

At the docks is now at the dealership. Collecting next Friday

Exciting! That’s quite a fast delivery. I ordered end of August and have fingers crossed I avoid Brexit misery/tax at end of year. Looking good so far as build mid Oct. when was yours built? Good luck with handover :)

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

It was a wk 37 build. Already told that handover will be distanced. I get to view vehicle inside and out but once I’ve been inside, that’s it, dealership staff can’t go in.
Hoping for the best. It will be like cramming for an exam, the handbook will be my new bedtime read and I expect to be posting masses of questions.
In advance, any support from existing GC owners will be massively appreciated.

I ordered end of Aug and build is next week, so I'm pleasantly surprised.
Ian I've been putting together a checklist for pickup based on previous California collection,. Most of the checks will become checks once youve received it due to C19 situation.
If you drop me your email on a private message I'll send you a copy.

We picked up a Hymer in July and they sent us a video handover to watch before we collected. Then on the day we could just check everything looked ok and had the video to watch afterwards to remind ourselves how the heating worked etc (so actually better than a normal handover!). I hope VW have a similar process

At the docks is now at the dealership. Collecting next Friday
Like WG says there is no Checks done on the habitation area just the van.

Best check your order schedule against what has been delivered, one tip re heating and how it really works ie gas/electric combi boiler, its more efficient working on gas than electric. electric works well on the 10 amp as x2 elements are in operation, There are a few options available.Electric/Mix gas & electric or just gas.
I spoke directly to Truma and learnt more in 10 minuets than reading the manual for 2 hours.

Congratulations look forward to seeing your photos
If you haven't already I would be ordering your fitted sheets as they may be a shortage, they are available from the shop.

I also had GasLow fitted.

Ian I've been putting together a checklist for pickup based on previous California collection,. Most of the checks will become checks once youve received it due to C19 situation.
I ordered at the Same time and my dealer told me mine had a week 41 build date with an expected mid November delivery. Not sure if I will get any updates. Probably email dealer next week to see if he knows anything.

Looks like ours will be on the same boat then Simon. I've gone for a 680, in indium grey. Yourself?

Yes I’ve gone for exactly the same, can’t wait!

Hello, May i ask for the same checklist, i am expecting our gc600 on begining Nov

Ok, thank you, but i feel a little embarrassed, i don’t know How to send a private message

Hi Andde I don't think you can as you are not a VIP member. It doesn't appear I can send you anything either.

Ok, thank you i Understand. I should consider this vip membership:oops:

Looks like ours will be on the same boat then Simon. I've gone for a 680, in indium grey. Yourself?
Got this info about my order today via VW chat.
"Thank you for waiting, your Grand California has completed it's build as is now on the way from the Factory to the Port of Exit."
He said it will be around 4-6 weeks to the dealer.

Picked up today.

Handover as expected. Had about 90 mins on my own, to go through everything . Just a couple of bits of poorly fit ting trim, that they are going to put right. Salesman even suggested he takes pics of the trim with me and the order in shot as evidence and him too. He was great. Did share that they know very little about the living side of the GC and VW hadn’t trained the staff on it.

That said had a long drive back to get acquainted. Off to have 1st overnight tomorrow and can’t wait.

A48F3FC4-B5CF-471E-B5B9-4864107865B4.jpeg

Great news Ian all has gone to plan. Where were you picking up from?.

Simon havent checked this week but hopefully on the same schedule as yourself.

Looks great Ian picking up in Crawley also. I'm in two minds just to have them deliver to the north of England as I'm fairly far north in Scotland from there. It would save me a lot of travel and miles. Yes agreed re service so far not even had any paperwork or comms other than initial order acceptance. At least VW uk recognise my order.

Back