Buy all your VW California Accessories at the Club Shop Visit Shop

Atera Strada bike rack?

M

maui2512

Guest User
Hi
Anyone any experience of the Atera Strada bike rack on a Cali Beach?

It looks a great product and I 'think' still allows full access to the tailgate (unlike the VW one I think?).

I've seen a YouTube clip of it on the Caddy and it seems to allow boot opening on that, but not confirmed yet whether it can on the Cali?
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1ED8VCA3YzI

thanks
Jane

aha, just had a very speedy response from the guys at The Roof Box Company to say:

"Unfortunately it is never possible to say with absolute certainty whether it will be possible to open the tailgate of a vehicle with a tow ball mounting bike carrier fitted, as this is largely dependent on the position & angle of the tow ball relative to the rear of the vehicle. However, that being said, in the overwhelming majority of cases where a Strada DL is fitted to a VW T4/T5 model with lifting tailgate, the tailgate can be opened. Certainly the Atera Strada DL will give the best chance of allowing the tailgate to be opened with the carrier fitted, due to the Strada's sliding action as well as the tilt. "

so, there's my answer!

Now to decide what to do about it..! I do prefer the lower positioning against the van rather than the high one of the VW carrier...I'm a bit worried about forgetting my height under barriers...!

Just have to remember you have an extra foot beyond end of the van when reversing, sensors will not work with electrics plugged in.

Sent from my GT-N8010 using Tapatalk 2

I cant answer your question on the Strada model but I got the tailgate fitting Altera Linea version and have been very pleased with the quality of it. Most of the framework is stainless steel with aluminium wheel trays. Once set up its really quick to fit or remove from the van ~ 5 mins, takes less time than the roofbars used to on my car. Fitting uses a special spanner and the fitting bolts can only be accessed with the tailgate open which hopefully will deter the casual thief.
Also got it from Roofbox, good and quick service with all the dealings I've had with them over the years.
One thing I would say against the Linea is that fitting 4 adult bikes on it would be a struggle as the wheel trays are quite close together so the handlebars and/or axles endup fouling each other. 3 is possible.

We have a strada and you can indeed open the tailgate with bikes fitted - the rearmost bike slot does need its bikes handlebars turned 90 degrees though if in use, to clear the opening tailgate.

Simon

Another 'yes it does' from me.

As stated above, you would need to rotate handlebars on a bike in the position closest to the Cali (maybe a race bike might be narrow enough but not any other), otherwise there is enough clearance.

One word of warning, this only applies to the Atera Strada DL3. The DL2 doesn't have a long enough sub frame so doesn't get far enough away from the tailgate to allow it to open, even empty if what I have previously read is true!

I have the DL3, bought it to carry two bikes and load them on the outermost two positions and the tailgate opens no problem.

I preferred the security and ease, I can leave the bikes on when parked up, wouldn't like to do that with a tailgate mounted one. It is also so easy to fit and remove there is no temptation to leave it on and no risk of damaging paint with repeated fitting.

13 pin electrics deactivate rear parking sensors too which has a nice 'integrated' feel and the graphic reminds you it's there (get a pic of Cali towing a trailer on stereo).

Our Cali came with the Atera Linea and it's certainly better built and more robust looking than the VW one or indeed the high end Thule towball one we have for the Land Rover. It's a heavy piece of kit but as mentioned above it's very easy to remove with the the key spanner. I can also vouch for the Roof Box Company's excxellent customer service. I couldn't work out how to get it off for the winter and they sent me .pdf diagrams and the keys (which I already had but didn't know what they were!). All this and I hadn't even purchased it from them.

owen_h said:
I cant answer your question on the Strada model but I got the tailgate fitting Altera Linea version and have been very pleased with the quality of it. Most of the framework is stainless steel with aluminium wheel trays. Once set up its really quick to fit or remove from the van ~ 5 mins, takes less time than the roofbars used to on my car. Fitting uses a special spanner and the fitting bolts can only be accessed with the tailgate open which hopefully will deter the casual thief.
Also got it from Roofbox, good and quick service with all the dealings I've had with them over the years.
One thing I would say against the Linea is that fitting 4 adult bikes on it would be a struggle as the wheel trays are quite close together so the handlebars and/or axles endup fouling each other. 3 is possible.

How easy is it to remove the rack? I can't stand them looks wise (partly because everyone has one) but I am beginning to think we ought to get one; went to a bike race and camped; had to take two bikes to bits and it was a right faff. When not camping, it's easy to fit them inside though!

I also don't like leaving a rack on all the time so take it off after each use. There are 2 star bolts that been to be loosened about 10 turns and it then just lifts off the top hangers. Remember to take the hangers off the top ad well. Once you have done it a couple of times it will take 5 mins max.

owen_h said:
I also don't like leaving a rack on all the time so take it off after each use. There are 2 star bolts that been to be loosened about 10 turns and it then just lifts off the top hangers. Remember to take the hangers off the top ad well. Once you have done it a couple of times it will take 5 mins max.

Ideal; less than putting my flaming roof bars on then!

Will order one soon. Sorry about posting the same thing twice!

We have the Atera Strada and its brilliant. We usually only ever have 2 bikes and tailgate opens no problem. It's easy to fit and remove, one of our best Cali gadgets

Have one and have used it many times and done long journeys with it as well and its great. Very easy to fit and remove and easily done on your own.

cheers

hi I just received my strada dl3 for my Cali, but the tailgate does not clear it, I have a dealer fit westfalia removable towbar, can you please tell me which to bar you have fitted?
Mine clears no problem. I have the VW factory fitted removable tower.
The rack portion is fully extended when you try?
If you have bikes on it, and the door doesn't clear the inner most bike handlebars then you may have to turn the handlebars 90'.

Does anyone know if there are any clearance issues with the T6 tailgate and this rack?

On my T6, with a factory fitted Westfalia removable towbar, the tailgate will clear the Atera Strada DL3 by about 25mm. However, it will not clear the handlebars of a bike on the innermost rack without turning the handlebars at 90 degrees, as WelshGas has said. It does clear the handlebars of the bike on the middle rack without turning them at 90 degrees. If you've only got two bikes you could use the middle and outside rack to avoid turning the handlebars, though I prefer to keep the bikes as close to the van as possible to keep the turning moment about the towball to a minimum and therefore use the first two racks and turn the handlebars on the innermost bike.

I'm considering a DL3 but as noted the parking sensors are inactivated - does having a reversing camera help in any way? I am not sure of the position of the factory VW camera?

On a second note - I'm presuming the T6 option of 'VW towbar/removable lockable' includes all parts/electrics etc ready to go? Anyone have pics of close up fitted and removed bar?

I'm considering a DL3 but as noted the parking sensors are inactivated - does having a reversing camera help in any way? I am not sure of the position of the factory VW camera?

On a second note - I'm presuming the T6 option of 'VW towbar/removable lockable' includes all parts/electrics etc ready to go? Anyone have pics of close up fitted and removed bar?
On my T5 the camera is at the top of the number plate surround.

Ahh, thanks - guessing it would not help much then when loaded with bikes.

Yes, thanks for that - at £200 odd over parking sensors probably worth speccing too.