Attaching the driveaway to awning

PudnBob

PudnBob

No more waiting….let the adventures begin
VIP Member
Lifetime VIP Member
Vehicle
T6.1 Ocean 204 4 motion
Forgive me if this has been covered, but I have spent ages trawling through threads, been side tracked 100's of times, really enjoyed everyone's amazing photos and diaries of their travels and I still can't find a post about wether it's feasible to attach a driveaway tent to an extended awning! Few people seem to do this and I have only found one picture on the internet! This leads me to think either it is just not the "done thing" or it would put too much pressure on the awning, I just like the idea of extra shade/cover between the two...any links to discussions and or top tips would be appreciated thanks in advance

You can attach a drive away to the wind out awning there is a channel just under the front flap.

You can attach a drive away to the wind out awning there is a channel just under the front flap.
Thanks Calikev, but can I attach it to a fully extended awning?

It's only carrying the weight of the flap that connects them.unless there's high winds?
As long as your all tied down well e.g.,awning and drive away awning with all the guy ropes and tie downs it would be fine .:)

I would use the upwards bent rafter from Fiamma, then. As you can't have one side of the awning lower than the other in that situation, the awning can be a rain catcher then. The upwards bent rafter will make sure the water doesn't form one big pool in the middle of your awning.

Forgive me if this has been covered, but I have spent ages trawling through threads, been side tracked 100's of times, really enjoyed everyone's amazing photos and diaries of their travels and I still can't find a post about wether it's feasible to attach a driveaway tent to an extended awning! Few people seem to do this and I have only found one picture on the internet! This leads me to think either it is just not the "done thing" or it would put too much pressure on the awning, I just like the idea of extra shade/cover between the two...any links to discussions and or top tips would be appreciated thanks in advance

I'd appreciate hearing how you get on with this should you try it. I've been thinking about doing it as well, but wondered about the 'air-gap' between tent and cali. I know you can buy side awning things, but didn't want to spend the money without know if it would be worth it. That, and my boot is getting fuller and fuller with the things I've bought, so trying to cut back on stuff that will take up space.

It's only carrying the weight of the flap that connects them.unless there's high winds?
As long as your all tied down well e.g.,awning and drive away awning with all the guy ropes and tie downs it would be fine .:)
Thanks

I'd appreciate hearing how you get on with this should you try it. I've been thinking about doing it as well, but wondered about the 'air-gap' between tent and cali. I know you can buy side awning things, but didn't want to spend the money without know if it would be worth it. That, and my boot is getting fuller and fuller with the things I've bought, so trying to cut back on stuff that will take up space.
Moaksey, Will do although we have bought the rain blockers and I have made curtains for a bit of privacy and are hoping to use all together!

I would use the upwards bent rafter from Fiamma, then. As you can't have one side of the awning lower than the other in that situation, the awning can be a rain catcher then. The upwards bent rafter will make sure the water doesn't form one big pool in the middle of your awning.
Thanks for this tip

On a related point, there a rail on the opposite side of the van to th awning could you use that for my Reimo Awning? No access to the van of course

Like this:
7715f0ad20763cf91adb76d9012954ba.jpg

Follow my blog: www.au-revoir.eu

Hi Tom , nice picture ... what's the centre pole horizontal across the awning , looks strong and I guess is works at keeping rain from pooling ?

PS lovely weather down here.... Robin