Buy all your VW California Accessories at the Club Shop Visit Shop

A bientôt EU

Great stuff guys , never realised one could actally see Marocco from the mainland Europe...another lesson learned.
Your boys will have a list of places they been most others only can dream of ....

Fairly obvious I would have thought.
Another Calais for the EU or the U.K. if the bridge / tunnel goes via Gibraltar.
I expect the chance of it going through or via Gibraltar is either zero or extremely close to zero. At 2.6 sq mi I expect the entire land area of Gibraltar is roughly equivalent to the entire land area of the Folkestone Channel Tunnel rail terminal.

Building bridges is far more productive than putting up barriers.

Follow my blog: www.au-revoir.eu

I expect the chance of it going through or via Gibraltar is either zero or extremely close to zero. At 2.6 sq mi I expect the entire land area of Gibraltar is roughly equivalent to the entire land area of the Folkestone Channel Tunnel rail terminal.

Building bridges is far more productive than putting up barriers.

For the poor residents of Gibraltar (or indeed Spanish people wanting to do business in Gibraltar) it's no fun at the moment anyway. Live frontier queue website says a 1 hr 10 mins wait for the land border crossing, as I type this. Can't see that getting better, after April 2019.

For the poor residents of Gibraltar (or indeed Spanish people wanting to do business in Gibraltar) it's no fun at the moment anyway. Live frontier queue website says a 1 hr 10 mins wait for the land border crossing, as I type this. Can't see that getting better, after April 2019.
You never know, and I think Spain has a few more problems of its own at present, and the Sovereignty of Gibraltar is definitely not the biggest.

We queued for 30 minutes on Saturday. Spanish registered cars were being waved through, Gibraltese registered cars were being stopped. I drove slowly forward but didn't stop until indicated to stop. The Spanish emigration officer asked if it was my first visit to Gibraltar then answered his own question by saying of course it was, I didn't know to stop.

On the basis of my anecdotal evidence, I'd say it is highly likely that Gibraltese are routinely stopped at the border while Spanish are routinely allowed to pass freely.

Also of note was that Gibraltar wasn't signposted on the roads until we were nearly on top of it.

While I can understand a certain degree of national humiliation in Gibraltar being a British territory, Spain hangs onto its overseas territories, including the Llivia enclave in France and Ceuta and Melilla in mainland Africa.

Day 113 to 118 - Cadiz

There's a green sheen across the campsite - bone dry sand is sprouting grass. It just shows how a good thunderstorm can transform arid land. I noticed something different yesterday too. On the drive to Gibraltar the ploughed fields we no longer a pale grey colour, they were rich brown.

A week has been and gone, and the longer we stay here the more we love it. El Puerto de Santa Maria is a place I could live, especially in the cooler winter months. I am not sure I could bear the hot summer season.

fb22485777069948c26cd8d6d7401b74.jpg

Significant moments for the week:

Sunday and Monday were mainly beach and leisure days - we had a lovely walk in the pine woods on Monday, throwing the frisbee for Meg which got stuck in the trees, and problem solving with Ben on how to retrieve it. He enjoyed standing on my shoulders and poking it with a stick!

bd2e07cb7c7f7c086b994d8fd836459c.jpg

On Tuesday, before driving to Seville to take mum and dad to the airport, we had a look around Jerez. The city was made rich by sherry - which is a British corruption of the name Jerez - and the vineyards around the town look well kept and rich, but we did ponder who drinks sherry now. Perhaps the Chinese market keeps Jerez rich now?

Sometime after lunch I took mum and dad to Seville to catch their plane home. It was quite a chaotic drop off as I was uncertain where I could stop to let them out.

Having dropped them off, I was alone with both boys and Meg, and was in no hurry to return to the campsite. We took the slow road back, stopping to walk Meg, then again at a shopping centre in an industrial estate outside Jerez. We bought dinner for Wednesday evening and more nappies for Jack. We then feasted on Kentucky Fried Chicken. We returned to the campsite after 7pm and the three of us slept in the roof, leaving downstairs ready for driving.

We had an early start on Wednesday to collect Clare from Jerez Aeropuerto, and arrived about 10 minutes before she came out. The boys were absolutely delighted to see their mum again, and insisted she sit in the back with them. In the afternoon we I took the boys out and they played with their new favourite toy - a mechanical digger in a sand pit.

d5dc9e913d7ad4cce39b0e533a26fc2e.jpg

Clare joined us later with Meg, who found a feral cat to chase and disappeared for ages and ages in and around a particularly vicious cluster of thorn bushs and trees, under which was a well-stocked tray of cat food and fresh water. Meg simply wouldn't recall. I gave up trying and asked Clare to have a go, and eventually Meg came out, a hurt dog.

Back at the campsite I extracted at least three thorns, from her front left paw, one of which was particularly long, just above her wrist, another directly into her pad.

The next morning, Thursday, she still wasn't right, so we took her to the vet. On the way there, Meg did something quite remarkable, and something I had no idea dogs could do - she walked almost entirely on her two right paws, only occasionally putting down her rear left paw for balance. But it was Meg's front left paw that she kept completely off the ground, clearly in considerable discomfort.

The vet shaved her front left paw and extracted perhaps six small thorns. The large thorn I extracted the previous day had pierced a tendon which was inflamed and infected. I then told the vet about Meg hobbling on just two legs, and he looked at her rear left paw, extracting another long thorn from between her pads. He then shaved that paw and found other smaller thorns. Poor girl!

An anti-inflammatory injection, and anti-biotics for me to administer. As we would be moving to a sandfly infested coast, I asked if he had a Scalibor flea collar we could buy, and he started on about a new collar that brand new research indicated was far better with sandfly and fleas and ticks to boot. Here comes the hard sell thought I, but it was sandfly protection that I wanted, and Scalibor the collar Katy, our home vet, recommended. I showed the vet the flea collar Meg had to protect against fleas and ticks - "Yes, he cried with glee - that's the one. New research has shown that it's more effective against sandfly than Scalibor. You don't need a new collar!" Clearly he wasn't on a hard sell. The collar lasts for 8 months, Meg has had hers for 5 months, I bought a spare for February.

83 Euros the bill - 25 for the consultation, 18 for the anti-inflammatory and anti-biotics, and 40 for the flea, tick and sandfly collar. It seems odd that sandfly infests Spain's Mediterranean coast but not the Atlantic Coast. The vet told me to return tomorrow if Meg was still limping, he'd waive the consultation fee, I'd already paid that - this would be ongoing treatment.

Meg is a border collie, they are stoic dogs. They don't keep keep a paw off the ground without very good reason. Meg wasn't fixed and I knew it.

We had planned to pack up and leave on Friday, we delayed by a day. Meg went out to pee and poo and that was it. At 5.30, and after siesta, Meg returned to the vet. Her whole wrist joint was swollen, missed because of the inflamed tendon, now back to normal. Meg has a sprained wrist - complicated by at least a dozen thorn punctures.

Rest, antibiotics for five days, anti-inflammatory for seven. Another 22 Euros, 105 in total. What on earth went on in that thorn bush with Meg and the feral cat?

Catalonia has declared independence. Quite unexpectedly we have another country flag to buy for our van.

Last edited:
Day 113 to 118 - Cadiz

There's a green sheen across the campsite - bone dry sand is sprouting grass. It just shows how a good thunderstorm can transform arid land. I noticed something different yesterday too. On the drive to Gibraltar the ploughed fields we no longer a pale grey colour, they were rich brown.

A week has been and gone, and the longer we stay here the more we love it. El Puerto de Santa Maria is a place I could live, especially in the cooler winter months. I am not sure I could bear the hot summer season.

Sunday and Monday were mainly beach and leisure days - we had a lovely walk in the pine woods on Monday, throwing the frisbee for Meg which got stuck in the trees, and problem solving with Ben on how to retrieve it. He enjoyed standing on my shoulders and poking it with a stick!

On Tuesday, before driving to Seville to take mum and dad to the airport, we had a look around Jerez. The city was made rich by sherry - which is a British corruption of the name Jerez - and the vineyards around the town look well kept and rich, but we did ponder who drinks sherry now. Perhaps the Chinese market keeps Jerez rich now?

Sometime after lunch I took mum and dad to Seville to catch their plane home. It was quite a chaotic drop off as I was uncertain where I could stop to let them out.

Having dropped them off, I was alone with both boys and Meg, and was in no hurry to return to the campsite. We took the slow road back, stopping to walk Meg, then again at a shopping centre in an industrial estate outside Jerez. We bought dinner for Wednesday evening and more nappies for Jack. We then feasted on Kentucky Fried Chicken. We returned to the campsite after 7pm and the three of us slept in the roof, leaving downstairs ready for driving.

We had an early start on Wednesday to collect Clare from Jerez Aeropuerto, and arrived about 10 minutes before she came out. The boys were absolutely delighted to see their mum again, and insisted she sit in the back with them. In the afternoon we I took the boys out and they played with their new favourite toy - a mechanical digger in a sand pit.

Clare joined us later with Meg, who found a feral cat to chase and disappeared for ages and ages in and around a particularly vicious cluster of thorn bushs and trees, under which was a well-stocked tray of cat food and fresh water. Meg simply wouldn't recall. I gave up trying and asked Clare to have a go, and eventually Meg came out, a hurt dog.

Back at the campsite I extracted at least three thorns, from her front left paw, one of which was particularly long, just above her wrist, another directly into her pad.

The next morning, Thursday, she still wasn't right, so we took her to the vet. On the way there, Meg did something quite remarkable, and something I had no idea dogs could do - she walked almost entirely on her two right paws, only occasionally putting down her rear left paw for balance. But it was Meg's front left paw that she kept completely off the ground, clearly in considerable discomfort.

The vet shaved her front left paw and extracted perhaps six small thorns. The large thorn I extracted the previous day had pierced a tendon which was inflamed and infected. I then told the vet about Meg hobbling on just two legs, and he looked at her rear left paw, extracting another long thorn from between her pads. He then shaved that paw and found other smaller thorns. Poor girl!

An anti-inflammatory injection, and anti-biotics for me to administer. As we would be moving to a sandfly infested coast, I asked if he had a Scalibor flea collar we could buy, and he started on about a new collar that brand new research indicated was far better with sandfly and fleas and ticks to boot. Here comes the hard sell thought I, but it was sandfly protection that I wanted, and Scalibor the collar Katy, our home vet, recommended. I showed the vet the flea collar Meg had to protect against fleas and ticks - "Yes, he cried with glee - that's the one. New research has shown that it's more effective against sandfly than Scalibor. You don't need a new collar!" Clearly he wasn't on a hard sell. The collar lasts for 8 months, Meg has had hers for 5 months, I bought a spare for February.

83 Euros the bill - 25 for the consultation, 18 for the anti-inflammatory and anti-biotics, and 40 for the flea, tick and sandfly collar. It seems odd that sandfly infests Spain's Mediterranean coast but not the Atlantic Coast. The vet told me to return tomorrow if Meg was still limping, he'd waive the consultation fee, I'd already paid that - this would be ongoing treatment.

Meg is a border collie, they are stoic dogs. They don't keep keep a paw off the ground without very good reason. Meg wasn't fixed and I knew it.

We had planned to pack up and leave on Friday, we delayed by a day. Meg went out to pee and poo and that was it. At 5.30, and after siesta, Meg returned to the vet. Her whole wrist joint was swollen, missed because of the inflamed tendon, now back to normal. Meg has a sprained wrist - complicated by at least a dozen thorn punctures.

Rest, antibiotics for five days, anti-inflammatory for seven. Another 22 Euros, 105 in total. What on earth went on in that thorn bush with Meg and the feral cat?

Catalonia has declared independence. Quite unexpectedly we have another country flag to buy for our van.

So sorry, Tom, to hear about Meg’s woes. Hope she recovers soon.

Dog feet can be really difficult to treat. My whippet just wandered over some burrs & got one in a pad. Between him chewing it & us not being strict enough, it took ages to heal. Thorns can go up the gap between the pad & hairline too. Keep looking, he might have missed one...

Much sympathy.

Dogs give no care to themselves if hunting. I've got more neurotic as the years pass & at the first hint of hunty behaviour, I whack them in a lead. No fun but I haven't got the energy for injuries atm, plus with 3, they hunt as a pack & that's not good.

So sorry, Tom, to hear about Meg’s woes. Hope she recovers soon.

She'll be chasing feral cats through thorn bushes again soon enough. My main concern is that there's an undiagnosed fracture, but that might be unlikely. It's articulation of her wrist that causes her to yelp in pain, not pressure on the bones.

Day 113 to 118 - Cadiz

Hi Tom & Claire! So sorry to read about Megs (miss) adventures with the feral cat - must have been a big cat!! But almost as a consequence the need to buy another country flag? - you need to be quick!! I fear Europe and Spain have other ideas over Catalonia and their desire to be independent! Is Europe imploding??

Day 119 - Cadiz to El Ejido

It took me 70 minutes to pack the van today - exactly the same length of time that it took our 12 volt kettle to boil. I make that 840,000 joules. It should take 267,750 joules to raise 750ml of water by 85 degrees, so somewhere 2/3 of the energy of our 12 volt kettle is being lost.

I don't know if it is my imagination, but there seemed to be more Spanish flags flying outside people's homes today. Here in southern Spain it has been quite common to see the trio of EU, Spanish and Andalusian flags fluttering outside homes and businesses, but I cannot recall seeing the Spanish flag alone in such numbers. In Scandinavia it was very common to see flags, seemingly on average, every second home would be flying their national flag, very often a pennant. It has been less common in other countries, but today I either noticed it more or there were more. If there were more, I expect it's a display of national unity behind the Madrid government.

The main feature of today's drive was poly tunnels. Never before have I seen so many, millions of poly tunnels containing billions of plants producing trillions of tomatoes- and here, in El Ejido, we are in the poly tunnel capital of the Universe. I expect the El Ejido poly tunnels could be seen from the moon, with our campsite an oasis in the middle of a sea of poly tunnels. Take a look on Google Earth.

Meg is recovering. At last she is beginning to put some weight on her poor paw. I should have photographed her shaved legs showing the thorn lacerations- as a taster for a better photo another day, here are her front paws taken after night fell.

24f921d8d3df13aa42d30460aa80c55b.jpg

She's had to move from a two meal per day routine to three meals as the antibiotics twice a day need to be with food, and the anti inflammatory also needs to be with food but not with the antibiotics. It's all rather complicated, but we've got a routine. We're not worried, Meg will mend.

Poor girl, happy she is recovering. It a pleasure to follow your travel. Actually, Iben and I made a film about sherry a while ago. The whole story and production method is very interesting. Sherry is still a companion to tapas. I also drink sherry with pleasure myself (especially the Manzanilla). Actually, I mean Sherry is a bit suffering from the reputation that is an "old ladies drink". It is a great companion with good tapas and makes the whole taste universe complete in some matter. It is meant to drink with food. There are many types of Sherry and it might take some testing before you find the one you like?

Meg probally had a lot of fun chasing that cat not thinking about the concequences and she also probally will do it again if it comes to the point....she will live with the scares...
Are you going back up north and then via the French south coast up to Italy now ?

@Kmann , the fact sherry beeing called a "old lady's drink " and the fact that you like it , what do we make out of that....?
:D
I'll stick to my G&T , cava , champagne , red wine

@hotel california - HAHA … good point! You will join in about 10 years time when it has become time to grow up ;-)

PS: I should have written it has become a rather intellectual drink …

Poor girl, happy she is recovering. It a pleasure to follow your travel. Actually, Iben and I made a film about sherry a while ago. The whole story and production method is very interesting. Sherry is still a companion to tapas. I also drink sherry with pleasure myself (especially the Manzanilla). Actually, I mean Sherry is a bit suffering from the reputation that is an "old ladies drink". It is a great companion with good tapas and makes the whole taste universe complete in some matter. It is meant to drink with food. There are many types of Sherry and it might take some testing before you find the one you like?
Where's the video??

Where's the video??
Actually i do not know where they have used it. But here is one similar we made about Portwine. I will post a link if I find it. I fly the drone and Iben does the other shooting.

Spanish and Andalusian flags fluttering outside homes and businesses, but I cannot recall seeing the Spanish flag alone in such numbers. In Scandinavia it was very common to see flags, seemingly on average, every second home would be flying their national flag, very often a pennant. It has been less common in other countries, but today I either noticed it more or there were more.

I expect the El Ejido poly tunnels could be seen from the moon, with our campsite an oasis in the middle of a sea of poly tunnels. Take a look on Google Earth.

Meg is recovering.

Wee trip to Sunny/Not So Sunny Northern Ireland during Easter or July, if you want to see plenty of "flegs" as they call them here. :eek:

Looks un-real on Google Maps, the entire area is covered in poly-tunnel!!

Get well soon Meg!