Buy all your VW California Accessories at the Club Shop Visit Shop

A bientôt EU

If you go into a UK diy store you can get 13a extensions, 5a extensions, Orange 2 core extensions with no earth & funny 2 pin plugs usually used on garden equipment, so just as confusing for an Italian over here.

A useful purpose for the EU would have been to adopt the British Standard socket and plug for all its member nations.
I agree, one standard right across europe would´ve been good.
Not necessarily a British one though. The german one works well.

If you go into a UK diy store you can get 13a extensions, 5a extensions, Orange 2 core extensions with no earth & funny 2 pin plugs usually used on garden equipment, so just as confusing for an Italian over here.
I have three socket types in my home:
- 13A sockets
- small 2A round pin sockets for standard lamps controlled by a dimmer switch
- Shaver sockets in the bathroom

However, the 2A sockets are uncommon and the shaver sockets are for bathrooms only. In Italy, it seems, all three sockets are usual in any room. In a cafe within the ruins of Pompei I noted they had all three socket types on a single wall mount.
a994d9f62e381213d51d8a07ab6849a5.jpg

Follow my blog: www.au-revoir.eu

but the British one is the best

It seems as unsafe as a US version. When we take our swedish/german cords to Italy or france, germany, belgium, denmark, norway etc etc we have no problem. I am quite sure our three wire male above fits the italian version with three in a row, except no ground. We even call it the EU plug actually so I guess it must be a wide used standard. To me it seems UK stands quite off to the side of the rest of europe when it comes to standards.

Households in Denmark have central switchboard with mechanical fuses (for 10A and 16A) where the electricity enters the house. From there all electrisity is distributed. We have one type plug for all (220v) in the household. With or without earth and the main HFI cut off mechanical fuse on the switchboard. If you need 380V you have a separate plug system.

I have never seen a more simple system …

This happy fella takes both plugs with or without earth

stikkontakt.jpg

Households in Denmark have central switchboard with mechanical fuses (for 10A and 16A) where the electricity enters the house. From there all electrisity is distributed. We have one type plug for all (220v) in the household. With or without earth and the main HFI cut off mechanical fuse on the switchboard. If you need 380V you have a separate plug system.

I have never seen a more simple system …

This happy fella takes both plugs with or without earth

View attachment 28347

And therein lies the problem. All standard UK sockets must have a plug with an earth pin. The earth pin, even if not used for the appliance, opens the live and neutral shutters. The shutters prevent objects being inserted into the live and neutral holes. Two pin plugs simply will not go in, and as there are three pins in a triangular array it is impossible to put the neutral pin in the live socket hole or the live pin in the neutral socket hole.

UK plugs and sockets are almost idiot proof - though it would be wrong to underestimate the idiocy in this world.

That is not unique for the UK. Al standard household sockets here are also protected by shutters. You need to insert two pins simultaniously to get access - just like the UK ones.

You might be able to see the shutters better here …

lk-fuga-stikkontakt-1-modul.jpg

The earth pin, even if not used for the appliance, opens the live and neutral shutters. The shutters prevent objects being inserted into the live and neutral holes. Two pin plugs simply will not go in [...]
UK plugs and sockets are almost idiot proof - though it would be wrong to underestimate the idiocy in this world.
That's why this continental idiot, when visiting the UK with his continental company laptop, would put his rental car key in the earth hole, so the shutters would open, and then plug in his laptop's euro plug. Very safe, to have to pry the shutter open with your car key to be able to use a standard plug! ( :) pun intended!)

Day 166 - Pompei

After walking around Pompei in the rain, we all had colds and coughs in the morning. Instead of our excursion to Herculaneum we checked into one of the rooms on the campsite and kept warm. We also packed away the tent between rain showers.

Clare and Jack slept in the room, Ben and I in the roof bed.

We don't use our tailgate prop very often, but the replacement is far superior to its predecessor. The Stanley prop has three parts, the first two parts clamp open with a grip bolt to hold it open, the third part ratchets open. The boat cover support, previously used as a prop, had a twist clamp. One day I had not properly tightened the support and it slipped causing the very heavy tailgate to crash down onto the support which fell inwards to the boot damaging it beyond repair. Fortunately no harm was done to anyone or to Amarillo.

c13560b7e355936a9f281d27a8ab9cc8.jpg

e809e0be63ca9780380fee2d298598b0.jpg

Day 167 - Pompei to Nicotera

Having packed the van the night before we were able to set off in good time, and drove along the coast road to Sorrento. In Sorrento itself we turned off the main road and encountered some seriously narrow streets, and twice had to turn back as I was worried about scraping both sides of the van simultaneously on the high stone walls. One street was marked as being just 1.80m wide!

We drove along the dramatic Amalfi coast road but were forced back across the peninsula by landslides further along. We then drove up some of the steepest roads I have ever encountered, the tyres struggling to grip the wet tarmac. The town was called Furore!

The diversion took us almost back to Pompei, but soon we were speeding south on an excellent and free motorway. We arrived late and have checked into a very nice and basic bungalow for €40 per night. The rain has stopped but is forecast again for tomorrow.

Day 167 - Pompei to Nicotera

Having packed the van the night before we were able to set off in good time, and drove along the coast road to Sorrento. In Sorrento itself we turned off the main road and encountered some seriously narrow streets, and twice had to turn back as I was worried about scraping both sides of the van simultaneously on the high stone walls. One street was marked as being just 1.80m wide!

We drove along the dramatic Amalfi coast road but were forced back across the peninsula by landslides further along. We then drove up some of the steepest roads I have ever encountered, the tyres struggling to grip the wet tarmac. The town was called Furore!

The diversion took us almost back to Pompei, but soon we were speeding south on an excellent and free motorway. We arrived late and have checked into a very nice and basic bungalow for €40 per night. The rain has stopped but is forecast again for tomorrow.

Lovely location, shame about the weather Tom.

Brilliant posts on Pompei - brought back memories of our trip there - a fab place - and it sounds like we did a similar route to you on peninsula, only our escape from the Amalfi coast road on a warm summer Sunday afternoon, was driven by a car sick child and wanting to avoid an accident. When rallying we always used to work on the basis every corner was a potential off - you just get away with 99.9% of them - this was what the Amalfi coast road felt like to me!!!

Tom - These posts of your trip are a real daily highlight - they would make a great story published.

our escape from the Amalfi coast road on a warm summer Sunday afternoon, was driven by a car sick child and wanting to avoid an accident.
In six months we have only suffered a car sick child on four occasions, all on bendy roads.

We didn't find the Amalfi road too dangerous - we just took it slowly. But there was little other traffic. The really hairy bit was slipping and sliding up the very steep and narrow winding road to Furore. Wow - I and the boys loved it just as much as Clare hated it. I wanted to go back down and do it all again...

Day 168 - Nicotera

We managed to take the boys and Meg onto the beach to play before the rain started - and just as well, it continued raining heavily all day. Not wanting to be confined to a small room all day we took Amarillo out for a drive. We did a semi-circular route around the wart on top of Italy's big toe (look at a map).

The area is just full of citrus fruit trees, with the fruit all perfectly ripe. Much of it is wasted, falling on the road, but it makes a satisfying squelch as you drive over it. On several occasions we plucked ripe satsumas from overhanging branches and ate them immediately. I've no idea what Italy's scrumping laws are, but it seems criminal to allow all this to go to waste.

At one point on our excursion the road was blocked by land slip, and we had to divert along the old road and into the hills. This warty peninsula seems very rich with hillside holiday villas overlooking the Mediterranean, I expect that being on the coast it is cooler in summer than most places even a little further inland.

We have been looking ahead to our time on Sicily, two birthdays - Ben on the 20th and me on the 21st - and Christmas. Little rain is forecast for that period, just sun, sun and cloud and daytime temperatures to 14 degrees. Not quite BBQ on the beach weather, but that will do.

Brilliant posts on Pompei - brought back memories of our trip there - a fab place - and it sounds like we did a similar route to you on peninsula, only our escape from the Amalfi coast road on a warm summer Sunday afternoon, was driven by a car sick child and wanting to avoid an accident. When rallying we always used to work on the basis every corner was a potential off - you just get away with 99.9% of them - this was what the Amalfi coast road felt like to me!!!

Tom - These posts of your trip are a real daily highlight - they would make a great story published.

Children's books?
Ben & Jacks Cali Adventure?

Children's books?
Ben & Jacks Cali Adventure?

Perfect - especially as my blog is intended as a journal for Ben and Jack's Cali Adventure.

I have been wondering if a newspaper would serialise my blog in the run up to 29 March 2019, B-Day, or as the French might say, bidet.

Day 168 - Nicotera

We managed to take the boys and Meg onto the beach to play before the rain started - and just as well, it continued raining heavily all day. Not wanting to be confined to a small room all day we took Amarillo out for a drive. We did a semi-circular route around the wart on top of Italy's big toe (look at a map).

The area is just full of citrus fruit trees, with the fruit all perfectly ripe. Much of it is wasted, falling on the road, but it makes a satisfying squelch as you drive over it. On several occasions we plucked ripe satsumas from overhanging branches and ate them immediately. I've no idea what Italy's scrumping laws are, but it seems criminal to allow all this to go to waste.

At one point on our excursion the road was blocked by land slip, and we had to divert along the old road and into the hills. This warty peninsula seems very rich with hillside holiday villas overlooking the Mediterranean, I expect that being on the coast it is cooler in summer than most places even a little further inland.

We have been looking ahead to our time on Sicily, two birthdays - Ben on the 20th and me on the 21st - and Christmas. Little rain is forecast for that period, just sun, sun and cloud and daytime temperatures to 14 degrees. Not quite BBQ on the beach weather, but that will do.

So enjoying your blog @Amarillo and look forward to your daily posts. You have a great descriptive talent 'satisfying squelch' ..... Almost makes it feel as though we are there with you.

Day 169 - Nicotera to Balestrate

We set off after breakfast and a short play on a blustery beach.

9d74f7f01b9442a6b9bcb5f46bd19461.jpg

The drive to the ferry terminal at Villa San Giovanni was short and punctuated only by gathering oranges overhanging narrow lanes.

60b6a034c825d55c02d2eb15bc8791e2.jpg

The terminal was chaotic and casually signed, but somehow we ended up at the correct place, paid our €40 for a passage as a car not a campervan and embarked immediately. The crossing was short, just 30 minutes or so, and we were soon embattled with other motorists to disembark in typical Italian fashion, with eight lanes of ferry traffic funnelled into one with everyone, including people directly behind, trying to push to the front.

Once off the ferry at Messina I had been expecting to see groups of men in dark suits, carrying tommy guns, huddled around a man in a well tailored suit with cotton wool balls in his cheeks. No - the men and women looked exactly the same as on the mainland. The only apparent difference being the driving was even more chaotic than the rest of Italy.

Once we eventually made it to the Autostrada, I set the cruise control to 90 kph, and let Amarillo loose for a leisurely drive to Balestrate - about 30 minutes the other side of Palermo.

We had just one toilet stop, and I hoped to use the break as an opportunity to top up the adblue tank. However, the adblue pump was out of order - tied up with string - and the service station shop had none for sale. We were down to 1200 Km, and an irritating warning bleep and message every 100 Km. If we run out the engine won't restart once stopped and it will require a garage reset to get going again, so it's important not to let it run too low.

We make it to Balestrate just before 4pm, and were met by our hosts who greeted us as old friends. Mr and Mrs Scrivano are the parents of our previous au-pair, Simona. They led us to their farmhouse which is to be our home for the next 17 nights. It is beautifully delapidated, with orange and lemon trees in the grounds and a stray dog making the place its home. My mum and dad arrive at Palermo Airport tomorrow for a family Christmas, and I intend to sign off from this blog until early in the new year when our travels will resume.

Merry Christmas!

The drive to the ferry terminal at Villa San Giovanni was short and punctuated only by gathering oranges overhanging narrow lanes.

The terminal was chaotic and casually signed, but somehow we ended up at the correct place, paid our €40 for a passage as a car not a campervan and embarked immediately. The crossing was short, just 30 minutes or so, and we were soon embattled with other motorists to disembark in typical Italian fashion, with eight lanes of ferry traffic funnelled into one with everyone, including people directly behind, trying to push to the front.

Once off the ferry at Messina I had been expecting to see groups of men in dark suits, carrying tommy guns, huddled around a man in a well tailored suit with cotton wool balls in his cheeks. No - the men and women looked exactly the same as on the mainland. The only apparent difference being the driving was even more chaotic than the rest of Italy.

Once we eventually made it to the Autostrada, I set the cruise control to 90 kph, and let Amarillo loose for a leisurely drive to Balestrate - about 30 minutes the other side of Palermo.

We had just one toilet stop, and I hoped to use the break as an opportunity to top up the adblue tank. However, the adblue pump was out of order - tied up with string - and the service station shop had none for sale. We were down to 1200 Km, and an irritating warning bleep and message every 100 Km. If we run out the engine won't restart once stopped and it will require a garage reset to get going again, so it's important not to let it run too low.

We make it to Balestrate just before 4pm, and were met by our hosts who greeted us as old friends. Mr and Mrs Scrivano are the parents of our previous au-pair, Simona. They led us to their farmhouse which is to be our home for the next 17 nights. It is beautifully delapidated, with orange and lemon trees in the grounds and a stray dog making the place its home. My mum and dad arrive at Palermo Airport tomorrow for a family Christmas, and I intend to sign off from this blog until early in the new year when our travels will resume.

Merry Christmas!

Have a wonderful Christmas Tom. I look forward to your next blog in the new year.

Merry Christmas!

Merry Christmas @Amarillo . Have a great break and look forward to reading your blogs in the new year.

Happy Birthday & a Merry Christmas - get your feet up!

Have a great break, you all deserve it, and don't get too attached to the stray!