Buy all your VW California Accessories at the Club Shop Visit Shop

Audio upgrade - battery question?

S

shepster

Vehicle
T5 SE 180 4Motion
If I upgrade my 2012 T5 Cali's RCD 310 to a Pioneer or Kenwood (e.g. AVH Z3200DAB or DMX 520 DAB) do these new systems use more battery than the original system? We listen to music in the evening (when parked) and, as I understand it, our existing system runs off the car battery.
Does anyone have issues with playing music through flashier systems when parked? Or is this something I am concerned unnecessarily with?
Is there any simple option of switching the system to use the leisure battery?
Thanks for any advice.

Compare how many watts your current system uses v the chosen replacement. We have a Pioneer AVIC Z820 DAB and this can deplete the vehicle battery in 3-4 hours. So for off hook-up radio listening we have a portable battery radio.

If I remember rightly 2012 is pre can bus? if so it should be pretty simple to wire the head unit to run off the leisure batteries.

If I remember rightly 2012 is pre can bus? if so it should be pretty simple to wire the head unit to run off the leisure batteries.
Our 2010 has the Canbus system and it turns the radio off after about 50 minutes. I think this is has been changed from 20 mins in a past life.

Alan

Our 2012 Beach is canbus, used to run for about 20min with key removed + could turn on at any time (even if key removed) by pressing power button.

Now have a new Kenwood unit fitted which switches off when key removed from ignition..which suits as as no chance of flat battery & tend to use Bluetooth speaker when camping.

If required you could just rewire the live to the leisure battery (piggy back the cigarette lighter wire in the dash with a fused connection?)

Our 2012 Beach is canbus, used to run for about 20min with key removed + could turn on at any time (even if key removed) by pressing power button.

Now have a new Kenwood unit fitted which switches off when key removed from ignition..which suits as as no chance of flat battery & tend to use Bluetooth speaker when camping.

If required you could just rewire the live to the leisure battery (piggy back the cigarette lighter wire in the dash with a fused connection?)
Do you mean that you HAVE to have the key in the ignition for the Kenwood to work? We really do want to be able to use it when switched off.
Can you give a bit more info on how to rewire the live to the leisure battery - a link maybe? I'm a real amateur at this stuff.

Any clues on where I could find out more about how to do this? I'm a complete amateur with this. Thanks

Do you mean that you HAVE to have the key in the ignition for the Kenwood to work? We really do want to be able to use it when switched off.
Can you give a bit more info on how to rewire the live to the leisure battery - a link maybe? I'm a real amateur at this stuff.
Yes - key needs to be in ignition with my Kenwood unit.

I am not an expert but the wires are color coded so fairly easy to find the live feed, in theory the radio live could then be connected with an inline fuse to a leisure feed that is live 100% of the time (on my beach, one of the dash 12v sockets is run off the leisure) without the need to lift carpet etc & run a wire back to the leisure battery.

But its worth speaking with 'absolut5' as they are experts in all things audio so wil be able to give you better advice.

Even if you change the source of the 12v power over to the leisure batteries, the Canbus system will still turn the radio off after the designated time.
You would need to be able to isolate the radio from the Canbus circuit for uninterrupted listening.

Alan

Back