Buy all your VW California Accessories at the Club Shop Visit Shop

Audio upgrade project

HowieDog

HowieDog

Lifetime VIP Member
Vehicle
Just browsing
Plan is to upgrade front door speakers and tweeters and a decent new head unit with wireless CarPlay.

Stage one completed today with the speakers installed.
46284A12-CEC8-4C58-BDEC-B7556B108AE3.jpeg
Door cards removed following step by step instructions from this thread... https://vwcaliforniaclub.com/threads/guide-removing-and-refitting-the-front-door-trim-card.3975/ .

Original VW speakers held in by rivets.Simply drilled out and removed - they are really really cheap and nasty - very very lightweight speaker with paper cone and small magnet.

B5D1EA3C-9D58-4629-BF70-EE842F9E7A3D.jpeg
Next to add some sound deadening to the doors, both outer and inner skin. Surfaces degreased and wiped with alcohol rub.

28ABFDD2-0FC2-42DB-8735-1D199A52DC92.jpeg
Doors ‘sound like a Golf’ now...

New Audison AP8 speakers fitted with self tapping screws. Came complete with mounting rings and correct connections from Jason at Absolut5.

DCF08E7D-1C8A-40AE-AC5E-FD73334C510C.jpeg
Removed grille and old tweeters and fitted Audison AP1 replacements complete with crossovers. Just held by two screws and the crossover tucks neatly under the A pillar trim.

36F3B4FD-6FA1-47D0-ADE5-988309749F09.jpegDoor cards and grille replaced and other than the massive improvement to the sound you would never know anything had been changed.

Stage 2 is a small Kenwood amp, dash cam and Kenwood DMX8019 head unit.

Should be arriving next week :)

Last edited:
What Kenwood amp is it, is it one Jason recommended?

Thanks. Where you planning to install it, under the front seat or?

Not sure, I’m thinking behind the dash somewhere?! Will call Jason and ask :oops:

Last edited:
Let me know how it goes. I’ve had a JL Audio amp for 2 years that I never got around to fitting. Mostly as it had to go under the seat. Could be a good lockdown project actually :)

Looks good - I'd been wondering how feasible this is! Does that head unit keep the MFD display, and show the aircon settings / parking sensors on screen? The top-of-the-range Kenwood mentioned elsewhere is twice the price. :shocked

Looks good - I'd been wondering how feasible this is! Does that head unit keep the MFD display, and show the aircon settings / parking sensors on screen? The top-of-the-range Kenwood mentioned elsewhere is twice the price. :shocked
Hi - yes, its keeps all of the OEM VW displays, aircon, parking, reversing camera, etc etc. The other one is the 9190 is a nice unit (we had it in our last Cali) but this time we have decided we dont need the DVD and satnav built in which saves a lot of money. We have a Mini with CarPlay and usually use Waze or google maps rather than the built in Satnav. It also means that its alwys up to date too.

Let me know how it goes. I’ve had a JL Audio amp for 2 years that I never got around to fitting. Mostly as it had to go under the seat. Could be a good lockdown project actually :)
Had a check with Jason, it goes behind the glove box. I believe its pretty straightforward to remove the glovebox and then to fit the amp. I'm also thinking about how we can set up inductive charging for the phones rather than plugging them in...

Had a check with Jason, it goes behind the glove box. I believe its pretty straightforward to remove the glovebox and then to fit the amp. I'm also thinking about how we can set up inductive charging for the phones rather than plugging them in...

Nice. Which year Cali do you have? I can’t see as on mobile. I have a 2014 and the glovebox comes out easy enough.

Putting it behind the glovebox at least you’re close to the engine battery for the positive connection

Nice. Which year Cali do you have? I can’t see as on mobile. I have a 2014 and the glovebox comes out easy enough.

Putting it behind the glovebox at least you’re close to the engine battery for the positive connection
Same, 2014. I believe, although havent checked, that it’s powered from the head unit. The amp was all wired up when it arrived (looks complicated) and ready to plug and play...

Same, 2014. I believe, although havent checked, that it’s powered from the head unit. The amp was all wired up when it arrived (looks complicated) and ready to plug and play...

Interesting, it is digital so maybe. Usually the head unit doesn’t provide enough power. It’s been a long long time since I’ve fitted one so maybe times have changed!

My amp is under the passenger seat and powered from the
leisure batteries.

My amp is under the passenger seat and powered from the
leisure batteries.

I just didn't want to run all the cables back up to the headhunt as it seemed a lot of hassle, but maybe I need to be braver.

Just checked and the amp is powered from the head unit so no need for an additional power source. Makes life a bit easier!

Just checked and the amp is powered from the head unit so no need for an additional power source. Makes life a bit easier!

Good to know, did Jason wire anything up for you? Or is it standard. If you wouldn't mind taking a picture of the amp + the wires before you install that would be great.

On top of the CD player :eek: is where mine is.
CD player came with the van from new so i wanted to leave it in, it has
had a few years of no use but im now liking it again.

If id have known there was room behind the glovebox then i would have
put it there and had a subwoofer on the CD player.

IMG_8705.JPG

Good to know, did Jason wire anything up for you? Or is it standard. If you wouldn't mind taking a picture of the amp + the wires before you install that would be great.
There are wires and cables everywhere. He said it’s pretty simple once you start as everything has a place to be plugged into....will take some photos when I can.

There are wires and cables everywhere. He said it’s pretty simple once you start as everything has a place to be plugged into....will take some photos when I can.

Good luck :)