Buy all your VW California Accessories at the Club Shop Visit Shop

Australian Beaches - going, going, gone!

The seem to be T6.1 and right hand drive... Interesting.
More interesting is that the Aussi Beach has the integrated kitchen pod (non-removeable) that we see in Oceans. Maybe the Beach name is more bonza for those down under. 30 units is crazy, sold in 9 hours....

Now if they had sent proper Beaches they could have shifted 500 in 5 minutes :cool:

More interesting is that the Aussi Beach has the integrated kitchen pod (non-removeable) that we see in Oceans. Maybe the Beach name is more bonza for those down under. 30 units is crazy, sold in 9 hours....

Now if they had sent proper Beaches they could have shifted 500 in 5 minutes :cool:
If you read the description they describe a 5 seater Beach and a proper Electro/Hydraulic Roof.
So there is a mis-match between the internal photo and the description.

If you read the description they describe a 5 seater Beach and a proper Electro/Hydraulic Roof.
So there is a mis-match between the internal photo and the description.
Yes I saw, looks like a real mish mash.of Ocean and Beach features.

Well spotted eagle eyed forum members! I was drawn in by the headline and missed the kitchen photo! Schoolboy error.
Yes, Ocean by design, Beach by Aussie name, it appears. Consistent branding...

VWAG is manufacturing premium high spec right hand drive Beaches, and Australia is getting them. If I were a prospective UK Beach purchaser, I would be asking VWUK what they are thinking, and asking VWAG if they have considered letting a different company represent them in the UK. The cam belt scam is also happening only in the UK, so it may be time for a change.

Clearly a Beach after all since the kitchen would get in the way of the nearside rear door!
Looks like the original article wrongly picked up some Ocean interior pictures.

The lack of a passenger side sliding door has been the major factor why these haven’t been available in Australia for decades. Had I known about the "sale" I would have been a buyer, but I had no clue they were being imported until I stumbled across this post.

The lack of a passenger side sliding door has been the major factor why these haven’t been available in Australia for decades. Had I known about the "sale" I would have been a buyer, but I had no clue they were being imported until I stumbled across this post.
The VW article linked above says that VW will sell “the full range of Californias” in Australia from 2021. Sounds promising for you. Now we may see people looking into importing RHD T6.1 Beaches into the UK from Australia!

Last edited:
It also seems from the above links that VW sold these directly to customers online via their own website, cutting out local dealers.

“In a media statement, Volkswagen Australia commercial vehicles director Ryan Davies said: “It’s fitting that one of our most iconic heritage models ushers in a new way of selling our vehicles”.”

Perhaps this was made easier as Calis haven’t been available in Australia until now, but it does sound like a promising move towards Tesla’s direct sales approach, as suggested on a thread yesterday by @willwander

Last edited:
The VW article linked above says that VW will sell “the full range of Californias” in Australia from 2021. Sounds promising for you. Now we may see people looking into importing RHD T6.1 Beaches into the UK from Australia!

4 motion Beach with twin sliders in the UK.
Brilliant idea.
Only issue I can see, is transport costs getting the Beach from Oz back to the UK.

Only issue I can see, is transport costs getting the Beach from Oz back to the UK.
Drive it back.... Great excuse for an adventure. If Borris can traverse the south of England for a £20 lampshade bargain....

How long 'til someone "fesses up and says they were one of the 30 Aussi buyers and they are flying out to collect in August. Fit a tracker we can all see, host a T6.1 Downunder vs UK order from Germany race.

I was in Australia from December till February this year. Had to leave in a hurry and had to leave my Mercedes Sprinter camper over there in storage. Not sure if I will be able to get back there to drive it this year so looked into transporting it back to Europe by sea. Quoted 5,000 Euro from Adelaide Port to Dublin Port.

I have just checked the VW Australian web site and there is still 14 left. The PR photos are mostly LHD beaches with few Calis thrown in to wet your appetites. Now here is a plan, our 2018 T6 Cali will be going on the market next year, so, why not fly here buy it, tour Australia and take back home to UK. fully optioned 4 motion plus plus including 2020 Vango tolga awning.

A48A5F6E-1537-475D-A7CA-FE15D0FE0D08.jpeg

I have just checked the VW Australian web site and there is still 14 left. The PR photos are mostly LHD beaches with few Calis thrown in to wet your appetites. Now here is a plan, our 2018 T6 Cali will be going on the market next year, so, why not fly here buy it, tour Australia and take back home to UK. fully optioned 4 motion plus plus including 2020 Vango tolga awning.

View attachment 61733
A great idea indeed :). Is that your actual number plate? If so, wow!

Last edited:

View attachment 61733
Are you sure? I’ve just tried the same (for fun, not because I would actually import from Aus, or would I?...) and the Beaches are showing sold out. There are however 17 Multivan remaining

Are you sure? I’ve just tried the same (for fun, not because I would actually import from Aus, or would I?...) and the Beaches are showing sold out. There are however 17 Multivan remaining

Exactly

7f0890b95a1dc855bb3fb7d0854403a4.png

75809157b010b5bffebf5fbe566d4ed1.png

Very strange, I just checked again and your right. Maybe this is a good thing. VW Au might realise the Calis will sell like hot cakes In Australia.

In Australia they’ve been madly converting pick ups and land cruisers into campers vehicles, adding leasure batteries, fridges, kitchen units etc.
A modified California Beach/Ocean would make perfect sense. 4motion with diff lock, raised shocks, beefy AT tires, onboard air compressors, extra front lights on a front bull bar With a winch and call it... Oceania instead
something like this:
E747AACC-F85D-4176-AEBF-9A3E8412AD44.png

Australian Design Rules stipulate that passengers must be able to exit on the nearside from the rear of a vehicle so they’ll all be twin sliders...like mine ;)

You should be able to order AUS specification for factory collection but be prepared for tricky insurance and no number plates of any description until you’ve changed the speedo and passed a complex SVA test. Plus zero warranty, it isn’t global. You can get some taxes back on new cars from AUS but not all, this will add to your costs. Shipping RORO not that bad as under 2m.

VAG AUS have chosen the spec well, looks great