Buy all your VW California Accessories at the Club Shop Visit Shop

Austria and Dolomites

G

Guy/Caz

VIP Member
Vehicle
T5 SE 180
Hi Folks,
After some recommendations for sites and must do attractions in Austria and Italian Dolomites for our summer adventures.
We got amazing help for last years' trip to Switzerland and thought I'd pick your brains again.
Thanks in advance,
Guy

Hi Guy/Caz,
I’d be interested in what you found to be the best parts of your trip to Switzerland last year - I am largely based in Geneva and have been exploring quite a bit over the past year but always interested to hear what other people have found good.
Thanks, Mike

Längenfeld near Sölden quite good to base yourself. Some good campsites locally. Sölden, obergurgl, water falls at Umhausen, Area 51, Aqua Dome and Hoch Imst mountain coaster all around that way or within 30 minutes drive in different directions.

Great area to see and explore, with plenty of walking and cycling.

A good friend of mine is half Austrian and spends a lot of time hiking/biking in the summer and skiing in winter in the mountains around Innsbruck - if that area is of interest for you I can ask for recommendations

Hi Guy/Caz,
I’d be interested in what you found to be the best parts of your trip to Switzerland last year - I am largely based in Geneva and have been exploring quite a bit over the past year but always interested to hear what other people have found good.
Thanks, Mike
Hi Mike, most of the help we needed was campsites on the journey down and back but in Switzerland we stayed in Lauterbrunnen. Fantastic valley with lots to do. We went on the train up the Jungfrau, across to grindelwald and up to First, another fantastic train trip up to schennege plate where we did an amazing hike.
I’m sure you already know that are but if not then worth a visit.
Guy

Best campsite we stayed at last year on our tour of Austria / Switzerland was Camping Grubhof in Lofer.
Amazing facilities, the website doesn't do it justice.
Great location, town of Lofer is lovely, facilities ultra modern and immaculate. Our stay included fee passes for local attractions and cable cars, the town has the most amazing outdoor swimming pool complex.
Probably the best campsite I've ever stayed at!20190824_122535.jpg

Längenfeld near Sölden quite good to base yourself. Some good campsites locally. Sölden, obergurgl, water falls at Umhausen, Area 51, Aqua Dome and Hoch Imst mountain coaster all around that way or within 30 minutes drive in different directions.

Great area to see and explore, with plenty of walking and cycling.
Thanks Soulstyledevon

We've attacked it from a couple of directions.

First time we came from the south and stopped 1st at Lago di Santa Croce, just up from Vittorio Veneto. The camp site at the village is OK, good restaurant, lots of windsurfers and kiteboarders. There's a good track round the lake to the east.

Then we went north to Cortina. use the SP251 and then over the Passo Giau on the SP638 - amazing scenery. At Cortina we used Camping Rochetta which was OK. There's another one next door. It's a nice walk in Cortina.

Then we went north, we wanted to do the Tre Cime di Laverado walk but there was a bike race on and we couldn't get near, so then made our way north into Austria. I wouldn't recommend the site we stopped at except that the beer was good :-D.

Another time we came in from the Soca valley in Slovenia over the pass. That time we stopped at Auronzo, just south of the Tre Cime. Open site near the river with some spectacular views of the mountain at the end of the valley at sunset. Nothing special about the site but it suited us for the night.

Then we finally did the Tre Cime walk. Absolutely amazing but there's a lot of people up there! They bring bus loads up the mountain to the refuge. If you are interested in doing the walk, then there's a campsite down at the village and a white whale parking spot.

On the way out of the Dolomites, we stopped one night at Hotel Camping Ansitz Gamp at Chiussa Klausen south of Bressanone. Bit noisy with the motorway up above but a very clean site, very busy and there's a nice walk down to the village with a couple of bars. The food at the hotel was good. If I remember correctly we thought the whole thing was pretty expensive though.

We didn't stop in Austria on the way back, we'd been on the road for 6 weeks and were putting the miles in at that stage.

If you go right through the dolomites onto the plain, then go to Treviso, a lovely small town. Ryanair fly there for Venice and it's a shame more people don't spend some time in the town. And of course you can drop in on any of the prosecco farmers around Valdobbiadene to taste their latest prosecco vintage.

We've attacked it from a couple of directions.

First time we came from the south and stopped 1st at Lago di Santa Croce, just up from Vittorio Veneto. The camp site at the village is OK, good restaurant, lots of windsurfers and kiteboarders. There's a good track round the lake to the east.

Then we went north to Cortina. use the SP251 and then over the Passo Giau on the SP638 - amazing scenery. At Cortina we used Camping Rochetta which was OK. There's another one next door. It's a nice walk in Cortina.

Then we went north, we wanted to do the Tre Cime di Laverado walk but there was a bike race on and we couldn't get near, so then made our way north into Austria. I wouldn't recommend the site we stopped at except that the beer was good :-D.

Another time we came in from the Soca valley in Slovenia over the pass. That time we stopped at Auronzo, just south of the Tre Cime. Open site near the river with some spectacular views of the mountain at the end of the valley at sunset. Nothing special about the site but it suited us for the night.

Then we finally did the Tre Cime walk. Absolutely amazing but there's a lot of people up there! They bring bus loads up the mountain to the refuge. If you are interested in doing the walk, then there's a campsite down at the village and a white whale parking spot.

On the way out of the Dolomites, we stopped one night at Hotel Camping Ansitz Gamp at Chiussa Klausen south of Bressanone. Bit noisy with the motorway up above but a very clean site, very busy and there's a nice walk down to the village with a couple of bars. The food at the hotel was good. If I remember correctly we thought the whole thing was pretty expensive though.

We didn't stop in Austria on the way back, we'd been on the road for 6 weeks and were putting the miles in at that stage.

If you go right through the dolomites onto the plain, then go to Treviso, a lovely small town. Ryanair fly there for Venice and it's a shame more people don't spend some time in the town. And of course you can drop in on any of the prosecco farmers around Valdobbiadene to taste their latest prosecco vintage.
Thanks Branco, loads of information, definitely up for the hike.

After Dolomites we found great wee Austrian site near Grossglockner at Heilegenblut. In summer time you can drive over the 2500 metre pass and high road, a must do, we missed out due to winter weather:

Sent from my moto g(6) play using Tapatalk

Hi Folks,
After some recommendations for sites and must do attractions in Austria and Italian Dolomites for our summer adventures.
We got amazing help for last years' trip to Switzerland and thought I'd pick your brains again.
Thanks in advance,
Guy
Hi Guy & Caz,
We had an amazing trip round the areas you mention. I don't have time right now but will try to summarise the best things we did and post back here very soon...
Cheers
Ian

We just stayed 1 night in the snow at Camping Lindlerhof on the southern approach to the großglockner (which was closed for winter). Lovely welcoming farm site with amazing loos and showers. Levelling ramps needed. 20eur.