Buy all your VW California Accessories at the Club Shop Visit Shop

Auto-dip headlights - where's the sensor

DM

DM

Top Poster
VIP Member
Vehicle
T6 Ocean 204
The auto-dip was spot-on when I got the van but now seems a bit reluctant to dip on some occasions - resulting in me getting flashed by on-coming drivers because I am dazzling them.

Where is the sensor for this function? Perhaps it just needs cleaned. (I found that cleaning the reversing camera lens means that you can see the picture again - auto wash function required there)!

Must be the sensor in the front windscreen hidden behind the rearview mirror i think.

• Agree
Reactions: Loz
It's a camera behind the rear view mirror. Has it been knocked at some point?

Heard someone else mention it but he had loaded the van and wacked it.

..me..

Are you sure it's auto dip? On our 2014 T5 it just turns the lights on/off.

Main Beam assist drops the main beam to dipped using a camera, available on a T6 with the lights and vision option.

• Agree
Reactions: DM

..me..
It might've been me, I posted to that effect the other week as it didn't seem to work as well after knocking my mirror off.
Mine is also reluctant to dip now and find that i have to do it manually particularly on straight stretches of road.

It might've been me, I posted to that effect the other week as it didn't seem to work as well after knocking my mirror off.
Mine is also reluctant to dip now and find that i have to do it manually particularly on straight stretches of road.

yeah I believe it was you, wasn't sure if it was here or on the T6 Forum.

..me..
No - I don't believe I've disturbed it. I'll give the windscreen in that area a good clean - inside and out. If that doesn't sort it then I'll get them to check it out when it's in for a service soon.

Yes - definitely auto. It worked perfectly when new. I posted here how impressed I was with it (albeit it's the height of laziness)!

straight stretches
Oops - no, I definitely haven't knocked my mirror off. Interestingly mine seems fine on straight roads and right hand bends but isn't quick enough on left hand bends)

OK, different on the T5/6 then.
Hardly ever use it though as it takes quite a while for it to operate. Thought it would be useful last year in Norway with all the tunnels but ended up just leaving the headlights on all the time.

OK, different on the T5/6 then.
Hardly ever use it though as it takes quite a while for it to operate. Thought it would be useful last year in Norway with all the tunnels but ended up just leaving the headlights on all the time.
It's a specific option on the T6. Not really sure why I got it. It might have been bundled with something else.

I know what you mean about the main auto lights feature. I do generally have it on that setting but have noticed two disadvantages. The headlights come on even when the ignition is off when you open the door on a campsite (which is not too friendly to other campers at midnight) and they're not great at detecting fog when it's otherwise light.

Hi, we had a similar problem with our T6, I was convinced that the headlights were not levelling properly. EG I was either getting flashed by on coming traffic and conversely cold not see very far when driving above 50MPH. VW assist man came out to fix a water leak and at the same time connected his computer to the system, no fault found. He phoned the headlight problem in to his call centre and within minutes he had the answer. There are 2 small sensors connected via actuator arms (about 3 inches long) to the suspension, one to the front and one to rear axles. The rear one had popped off. He simply pushed it back on and since then the headlights have been levelling as advertised.

Hi, we had a similar problem with our T6, I was convinced that the headlights were not levelling properly. EG I was either getting flashed by on coming traffic and conversely cold not see very far when driving above 50MPH. VW assist man came out to fix a water leak and at the same time connected his computer to the system, no fault found. He phoned the headlight problem in to his call centre and within minutes he had the answer. There are 2 small sensors connected via actuator arms (about 3 inches long) to the suspension, one to the front and one to rear axles. The rear one had popped off. He simply pushed it back on and since then the headlights have been levelling as advertised.

Thanks. This sounds more like a levelling issue than a dipping issue but good to know.

Had a quick look at the camera on mine when I was washing the van last weekend.
I could see that after refitting the rear view mirror the camera wasn't centralised in it's window, which hopefully is what's causing my issues.
I've realigned it as much as I can but not had chance to test it yet.

Sent from my SM-G920F using Tapatalk

Back